General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I wasn't expecting that. Interesting idea, but it's mobile only.

So no point in getting the original version now, when Sega's going to release a special edition later down the line.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yep so what's Xbox's problem? Lol.
Short version:
  1. Bought up all of these game studios with little or still nothing to show. We still have not seen any new gameplay from NT's Hellblade 2.
  2. Phil and Microsoft keep saying, "We need more games and to be better" every month or two, while still not doing anything.
  3. Game Pass overdose.
  4. Hi-Fi Rush (a 6th generation style action game!) is their only worthwhile "exclusive" beating Halo Infinite and Gears 5.
  5. Halo Infinite....

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That’s kinda the least they can do since they never offer discounts for their customers.
They do offer discounts, but it's extremely rare. There are more than happy to offer big discounts digitally, but when physical, it's usually through a retail store that will take $10 off at most. The only time they ever do a major discount for their first party games, is when their console has a life of one or two years left, and they jump on to the next one immediately.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Probably 30 hours into Tales of Arise. While there's no open world exploration a lot of areas have started to open up for you to explore and then giving you reasons to explore or do sidequests. They do a pretty good job of giving you measurable fundamental reasons to dick around.

I think you could almost do an analysis article on the differences between this sort of "fat" in Tales of Arise and Far Cry 6 or Breakpoint. In Tales exploring, questing and fighting monsters creates a sort of tandem upgrade delivery of XP, skill growth, item gain, crafting tools and money that each occurs distinct from each other, but then are combined to make significant upgrades to your party. It keeps it diverse enough to where you don't feel that tug of the treadmill quite so intensely. For example I want a new weapon, well I need to go hunt some specific monsters for that weapons parts, but that monster has poison so I need an artifact to help with that so I'm hunting gems needed to make it, but then to craft those things I need money which is only obtained through questing or looting or playing the fishing game.

All these things are "kind of" fun, but they'd wear on you if that were the only thing you were doing. Grinding monsters is fun because it's got that DMC style action combo system, but you fight the same monsters constantly to get all your xp, money, loot extra and that would get tiresome. Tales succeeds but forcing you to change up the game play so you aren't doing the same thing over and over for minute rewards. Instead making you do a variety of things for a larger payoff and feeling of reward.

You look at recent open-world games from Ubisoft and you really just do the same 2-3 missions over and over ad-nauseum. I remember putting both Breakpoint and Division 2 down maybe 5-10 hours in because I'd upgraded my kneecap armor 5 consecutive times inside of an hour because I kept finding one in loot that was a .2% upgrade from the last one. I just didn't "feel" like doing it anymore.

Aside from that the story is still fairly entertaining and I find nearly all the characters likable. I just wish these characters and story didn't feel like every other JRPG I've ever played. Again to it's credit at least its not being too intentionally obscure or vague with the FF gobbledegook dialog. I "get" these characters and this storyline.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post I almost immediately switched to Japanese with subtitles. When it comes to gaming I really don't like subtitles, but the dubbing for Tales feels like it was done using tools rather than a human translator. It's really bad and kinda nonsense. It's interesting how much the "intent" in dialog when translating japanese and korean can be so easily mixed up. Like the words can be directly translated a lot of times, but they don't "mean" the same thing without context. Very frustrating. Can completely change your perspective on characters or story.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Probably 30 hours into Tales of Arise. While there's no open world exploration a lot of areas have started to open up for you to explore and then giving you reasons to explore or do sidequests. They do a pretty good job of giving you measurable fundamental reasons to dick around.

I think you could almost do an analysis article on the differences between this sort of "fat" in Tales of Arise and Far Cry 6 or Breakpoint. In Tales exploring, questing and fighting monsters creates a sort of tandem upgrade delivery of XP, skill growth, item gain, crafting tools and money that each occurs distinct from each other, but then are combined to make significant upgrades to your party. It keeps it diverse enough to where you don't feel that tug of the treadmill quite so intensely. For example I want a new weapon, well I need to go hunt some specific monsters for that weapons parts, but that monster has poison so I need an artifact to help with that so I'm hunting gems needed to make it, but then to craft those things I need money which is only obtained through questing or looting or playing the fishing game.

All these things are "kind of" fun, but they'd wear on you if that were the only thing you were doing. Grinding monsters is fun because it's got that DMC style action combo system, but you fight the same monsters constantly to get all your xp, money, loot extra and that would get tiresome. Tales succeeds but forcing you to change up the game play so you aren't doing the same thing over and over for minute rewards. Instead making you do a variety of things for a larger payoff and feeling of reward.

You look at recent open-world games from Ubisoft and you really just do the same 2-3 missions over and over ad-nauseum. I remember putting both Breakpoint and Division 2 down maybe 5-10 hours in because I'd upgraded my kneecap armor 5 consecutive times inside of an hour because I kept finding one in loot that was a .2% upgrade from the last one. I just didn't "feel" like doing it anymore.

Aside from that the story is still fairly entertaining and I find nearly all the characters likable. I just wish these characters and story didn't feel like every other JRPG I've ever played. Again to it's credit at least its not being too intentionally obscure or vague with the FF gobbledegook dialog. I "get" these characters and this storyline.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post I almost immediately switched to Japanese with subtitles. When it comes to gaming I really don't like subtitles, but the dubbing for Tales feels like it was done using tools rather than a human translator. It's really bad and kinda nonsense. It's interesting how much the "intent" in dialog when translating japanese and korean can be so easily mixed up. Like the words can be directly translated a lot of times, but they don't "mean" the same thing without context. Very frustrating. Can completely change your perspective on characters or story.
I just stopped playing it after the third land. I just can't stand JRPG story/writing anymore, it's all bottom barrel anime level, nothing makes sense, every scene feel like an excuse for character to act in the most dramatic way possible, we're still doing the "amnesiac main character" in 2023 and every twists the game tries to come up can be seen coming miles away while also being telegraph in the most awkward way possible ("Oh no, the guy who look obviously evil turn out to be evil!"). And the awkward humour/levity make its really hard to take the game seriously when the other half is so upfront about mass slavery/genocide, like one of the first thing we do is take a detour from stopping the bad guy from mass executing slave is to go find a dress for the female lead...

As far as gameplay, I still find tale of game peak at grace and since then just seem to refuse expanding on the system because...? Good gameplay doesn't sell maybe? Although arise is nowhere near as bad as Xillia. Theoretically arise is about juggling enemy and using all your power to keep combo going, but that only work on weak trash, boss are immune to stunlock and being launched in the air from regular attack/arte so you have to do hit and run all the time, I'd rarely get more than two hit in before I had to interrupt with dodge. The balance is also pretty bad (on hard) with the second land boss literally being the hardest fight in the game. Killing enemy while you explore also quickly lead to overleveling even without doing any sort of grinding. I do like that they added a limit to how much you can heal, but its easily replenished with item that quickly become abundant, and there's never anything that really stop you from going back and refilling it, also annoyingly support ability uses the healing resource. Also liked that character played differently and they made a clear effort to make all of them viable as main controlled character. I liked the skill system, but it felt like a water down version of the superior title system from grace, so half and half.

Honestly it felt like an average tale game with very pretty environment, maybe I'm just too old for the franchise at this point.

Reactions: BrawlMan