General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Play-testers are talking about Skull & Bones Hans-On experience.

Spoilers: None of them are positive. It's pretty much Sea of Thieves, but less activities and none of the charm

Oh and they somehow made a deal with Singapore govt, hence why they are still working at delivering the game and so many delays

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Play-testers are talking about Skull & Bones Hans-On experience.

Spoilers: None of them are positive. It's pretty much Sea of Thieves, but less activities and none of the charm

Oh and they somehow made a deal with Singapore govt, hence why they are still working at delivering the game and so many delays

But we have Sea of Thieves at home.....

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I don't know what percentage Rowling is going to get from the proceeds of this game, but it's not going to be a pittance. Whatever money she doesn't get to platform and spread her bullshit, or financially support whatever hateful bigots she's alligned herself with is worth it.
Which is fair, and anyone is free to do so if they do not want to support someone in any capacity, no matter how small.

She’s still making her cut though either way, while the actual people who spent years working on the game for far, far, faaaar less are the ones having to endure all the outcries and people shitting on it just because of her. Talk about demoralizing when they’re just doing their jobs, and apparently pretty well considering the consensus of people who’ve bothered to play it.
Right? I understand not wanting to support someone out of protest, but the person that's being protested against is so much higher and beyond the chain of command that you're basically choosing to tell everyone else that worked hard on the project to fuck off cause you don't like someone that isn't their boss, or even involved in the company that made the game...? I entirely understand, don't get me wrong. I just feel like this form of protest is catching the wrong people in the crossfire.

I think the big takeaway from the Hogwarts situation is that people are starting to not accept the constant shifting anymore. Regular people just want to enjoy shit and now they are no longer worried about online screaming that they are bigots because of X,Y,Z, when their behavior has nothing to do with bigotry, or phobias, or whatever the label is.
Everyday people that don't know about this kind of controversy definitely shouldn't be labelled for it. People see a video game in a franchise they like that they want to play, in which they want to buy it so they can have some fun and have some escapism from this reality we all live in. That doesn't make them bigoted, racist, sexist, or whatever else. Most people don't sit on Twitter and listen to the stream of nonsense people spew there all day every day. Some people, believe it or not, have real lives outside of the internet, and look to video games and other forms of media and entertainment for fun.

The other problem with modern activism is the inability to sit down and have an actual conversation about given concerns. Or problems. They tell you, "Supporting Harry Potter supports transphobia and bigotry". How does it do this? Well JK Rowling is apparently transphobic so if you support her work you support her ideals. Which is logic that suggests if you have a smart phone you must support child slave labor because that's how the materials used to make these phones are mined. It all comes from wild claims that nobody can ever show proof of and if you ask for proof, then you're yelled out of the room. It hurts progress, because you can't express real ideas and offer real solutions with anyone.
Didn't think I'd be able to have a hard-agree with you, but, here we are.

There is nearly no truly ethical consumerism in this world at this point, and if you think you've found it, you likely actually haven't or just aren't aware that the option you found is actually fucked up somewhere along the chain in a way that you don't realize.
Absolutely make your own choices about what you want to support or don't no matter how small, that's everyone's right to do so. However, to live in the society we do, with all the modern conveniences we have, you have to realize that no matter what you do, you're supporting some horrible businesses and people that have even more horrible business practices that most of the general public aren't even remotely aware of. We seem to be able to accept that for some things, maybe it's fine to just accept that for other things if it means we can scrape at least some little bit more joy in our lives.
It's either supporting some crusty hag by extension, or some other terrible person you aren't lucky enough to know the name of. That doesn't make you a bad person. That makes you a human being that has to live on this fucked up world like everyone else

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Super love how "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" went from "staple goods necessary to exist in society have shitty supply lines and no true alternatives exist, especially for the poor" to "might as well throw gobs of cash at bastards for luxury goods because who gives a shit"

It's become a thought terminating cliche meant to deflect any criticism at all.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Which is fair, and anyone is free to do so if they do not want to support someone in any capacity, no matter how small.

Right? I understand not wanting to support someone out of protest, but the person that's being protested against is so much higher and beyond the chain of command that you're basically choosing to tell everyone else that worked hard on the project to fuck off cause you don't like someone that isn't their boss, or even involved in the company that made the game...? I entirely understand, don't get me wrong. I just feel like this form of protest is catching the wrong people in the crossfire.

Everyday people that don't know about this kind of controversy definitely shouldn't be labelled for it. People see a video game in a franchise they like that they want to play, in which they want to buy it so they can have some fun and have some escapism from this reality we all live in. That doesn't make them bigoted, racist, sexist, or whatever else. Most people don't sit on Twitter and listen to the stream of nonsense people spew there all day every day. Some people, believe it or not, have real lives outside of the internet, and look to video games and other forms of media and entertainment for fun.

Didn't think I'd be able to have a hard-agree with you, but, here we are.

There is nearly no truly ethical consumerism in this world at this point, and if you think you've found it, you likely actually haven't or just aren't aware that the option you found is actually fucked up somewhere along the chain in a way that you don't realize.
Absolutely make your own choices about what you want to support or don't no matter how small, that's everyone's right to do so. However, to live in the society we do, with all the modern conveniences we have, you have to realize that no matter what you do, you're supporting some horrible businesses and people that have even more horrible business practices that most of the general public aren't even remotely aware of. We seem to be able to accept that for some things, maybe it's fine to just accept that for other things if it means we can scrape at least some little bit more joy in our lives.
It's either supporting some crusty hag by extension, or some other terrible person you aren't lucky enough to know the name of. That doesn't make you a bad person. That makes you a human being that has to live on this fucked up world like everyone else
And in such a situation with Rowling was no different from an online spat I had with someone in an online game about a year ago that ran for several years. I used every method to ostracize them because they were being antagonistic and it drew in a lot retaliation from other parties until one had enough and they were able to settle this amicably. It is not easy fighting for your belief as you have seen with my posts involving the likes of @BrawlMan and Van Buren who think they are sp high and mighty for ignoring me instead of realizing I am sticking steadfast to my conviction.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Please tell me you don't mean less activities than launch-state Sea of Thieves. Because that... hoo boy, somebody's getting keel-hauled for that.
From what I've seen so far. That seems EXACTLY the case. I mean ffs, SOT at launch at least had on-foot fights both on lands and on deck, looking for treasures on island and under the ocean, and even social aspects.

SAB has naval battles.... and that's it. And of course this will be live-service game, so new content and progression will come at the indefinite future! They picked a really bad time to make it live-service too, when the games in the genre are sinking left and right.

These planks made themselves walk the plank when they decided AC4 dlc should turn into a AAA title

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes!

No. Stop pretending otherwise, and once again ignoring good adaptions and acting like nothing happened. Bad adaptions are still gonna happen, but at a lesser rate.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And of course this will be live-service game
Well, now I'm just waiting to hear the phrase "ten-year plan" so I can start digging the grave.

No. Stop pretending otherwise, and once again ignoring good adaptions and acting like nothing happened. Bad adaptions are still gonna happen, but at a lesser rate.
As someone who's been happily ragging on that movie since I made the mistake of going to see it in the theaters, can we stop beating that particular dead horse now?

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Before reading the story, is recommended to play this instrumental background music to set the mood;

Now the story;

Ubisoft is having some serious issues with The Division 2 at the moment.

Last week, Ubisoft announced it had delayed the planned 7th February launch of Season 11: Reign of Fire due to a localisation issue.

Then, in a tweet published yesterday, Ubisoft admitted that in creating a fix for this problem, it caused an error that brought down the game's build generation. This means the development team cannot update the game at all until the system is rebuilt.

Ubisoft can't even extend activities from the previous season while it sorts all this out. Why? Because it can't make any updates to The Division 2 at all until the build generation system has itself been rebuilt.

"We are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible," Ubisoft said, saying it had made good progress since the weekend.

"We deeply appreciate your understanding and patience and will share our in-game compensation plan details soon."

The Division 2 finally launched on Steam in January - four years after it came out. On Steam, the looter shooter has a mixed user review rating, with most complaints revolving around crashes.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Before reading the story, is recommended to play this instrumental background music to set the mood;

Now the story;

Once again, the Ubisoft live service circle model fails for the millionth time. I do genuine feel bad for the fans that enjoy this game, but Division 2 can screw off. How long till it becomes like the rest of the Ubisoft tiles from past generations, and they shut the multiplayer and servers down at some point?

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
who think they are so high and mighty for ignoring me instead of realizing I am sticking steadfast to my conviction.
Go for it, by all means. Not everyone will agree with your convictions, but, they are yours to have.

Super love how "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" went from "staple goods necessary to exist in society have shitty supply lines and no true alternatives exist, especially for the poor" to "might as well throw gobs of cash at bastards for luxury goods because who gives a shit"

I'm not denying the situation at hand or the fact that the person who made the series at all is a piece of shit, and if people don't want to give her even one cent of their money, then I agree with their decision to do so. It's easier to draw the line for entertainment related purchases because that's something you can get away with not needing or wanting. All I'm saying is that the things we either need to survive or the things we buy to keep ourselves entertained and happy both suffer from very similar problems when you start applying the question of ethics for who you support in making your purchase, so if people choose to apply the same line of thinking to both that leads to them buying whatever will make them happy, I don't entirely blame them.
Sometimes that little luxury purchase is the thing someone needs to make them want to stick around in this mess of a planet we have to live on. I'm not going to call them bad people for it, and I'm especially not going to condone harassment of others for it either

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Go for it, by all means. Not everyone will agree with your convictions, but, they are yours to have.
Too bad they're pathetic "convictions" that rely on being miserable to people who don't deserve it or caught in a crossfire. It's those who fight monsters disguised as some wannabe profound pure virtue disguised as cowardice.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm not denying the situation at hand or the fact that the person who made the series at all is a piece of shit, and if people don't want to give her even one cent of their money, then I agree with their decision to do so. It's easier to draw the line for entertainment related purchases because that's something you can get away with not needing or wanting. All I'm saying is that the things we either need to survive or the things we buy to keep ourselves entertained and happy both suffer from very similar problems when you start applying the question of ethics for who you support in making your purchase, so if people choose to apply the same line of thinking to both that leads to them buying whatever will make them happy, I don't entirely blame them.
Sometimes that little luxury purchase is the thing someone needs to make them want to stick around in this mess of a planet we have to live on. I'm not going to call them bad people for it, and I'm especially not going to condone harassment of others for it either
Neat. How about public disappointment, or should the rest of us just shut up so that a streamer doesn't have to hear anything negative ever?

Shit man, indie gaming has literally never been stronger. There's a large number of easily available ethical choices for magic schoolchildren games. This isn't a "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" situation

Also:
All I'm saying is that the things we either need to survive or the things we buy to keep ourselves entertained and happy both suffer from very similar problems when you start applying the question of ethics for who you support in making your purchase, so if people choose to apply the same line of thinking to both that leads to them buying whatever will make them happy, I don't entirely blame them.
You are literally just doing this

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Never ending respect for Bob Hoskins aside, the old Mario Brothers movie is an insane treasure and the world is a better place for it existing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never ending respect for Bob Hoskins aside, the old Mario Brothers movie is an insane treasure and the world is a better place for it existing.
I understand all that, but you can almost never get me to watch that movie again. Unless it's a gun to my head, and its between that and an Uwe Bowelle film. I'll take the live action Mario each and every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock