Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ok, even if we can't agree if Rowling set out to create Slytherin as the evil Nazi house or not, can we at least agree that someone could look at the series and get the impression that's what she did?

(Also, has it been mentioned yet that what house you get put in is often determined by your star sign? There's a reason why the prophecy involved birthdays and could have applied to both Harry and Neville, they are heroes)
You know, I hadn't considered that. The sorting hat just being a glorified calendar and Hogwarts still having stratified houses is very funny.
I know about squibs, and muggles, and all that, all of these things are human.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But humans don't have magic abilities.. therefore, how can you say that wizards are human?
I'm reminded of Shaman King as both the manga and the first anime had it in universe discussion of sorts. Granted, I feel the first anime does is better, because the manga shoots itself in the foot and pretty much goes almost full anti-human and trying to make you feel sorry for a villain that's not all that sympathetic to begin with. In the Shaman King universe, humans can become shamans. For those that don't know, a shaman in this series is someone who can see ghosts and use spiritual powers for healing, meditation, helping nature, and combat. As one character pointed out in the manga version, shaman's are literally just humans with ghost powers and it exactly doesn't make them better or more different than humans. They can still die just as easily, if not careful or being too rash. Sure harder to kill, because of spiritual powers, but they can die just as easily to any bullet wound or a shot to the head. Unless you're up to the super high story broken power level of the main villain, because they ain't going to do anything. Neither will missiles or explosives.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Some non-binary people refer to themselves as trans and some don't. There isn't a single definition of what makes a person trans.
This highlights why it is so confusing for people.

The only rule, is there are no rules, except you better know the rules or you're a bigot.

Language doesn't work on a person to person basis, it's got universal rule sets so that everyone can be on the same page. You can't reasonably expect people to calculate pronouns or terms on an individual basis.

They have socially and medically transitioned to present more like a cis woman.
Did she? She's done nothing to her voice if that's the case. I'm not sure she's don't anything except wear feminine clothing and make-up, plus she lost some weight.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Language doesn't work on a person to person basis, it's got universal rule sets so that everyone can be on the same page. You can't reasonably expect people to calculate pronouns or terms on an individual basis.
Strange, then, that a lot of people are able to use people's preferred pronouns and it's not a problem. Even stranger, they don't have to go out of their way to cause problems for others who have preferred pronouns not the ones society gave them at birth either. Weird.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think GX is the guy you want, not me.
Schindler was a member of the nazi party. He was a good guy. Equally true: the nazi party sucks, nazis suck, fuck nazis, ban nazis, nothing good ever came from nazis. It's almost as if whatever good Schindler did was despite and contrary to being a nazi.

Same goes for Slytherin. Piece of shit house for piece of shit people. There's exactly one canon example and exception to the rule, and unlike real life he happens to be a liar and a coward who's directly responsible for the rise of the Slytherin equivalent of Hitler and would rather do nothing to oppose him later.

Slytherin is a house for wretched, dangerous people who 9.99% of the time aren't even that particularly ambitious or cunning, just plain pieces of shit. If you got sorted into Slytherin in one of those online personality tests and this is why you're so defensive about it, remember that a browser game isn't a magical sorting hat, the world isn't made up of 4 types of people (one type being "other") and Rowling wrote the houses to fit basic children's lit templates. Which is why one of them is "bad guy house".

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You see you say that, but my American guildmates are still explaining some Americanisms to me when they say them and I have no context for them, and I've somehow bamboozled them with the Australian way of talking.
Regional is a lot bigger than the individual person. And for the most part people don't think you're the incarnate of satan if you use regional slang outside of said region, they just look at you strange.

Strange, then, that a lot of people are able to use people's preferred pronouns and it's not a problem. Even stranger, they don't have to go out of their way to cause problems for others who have preferred pronouns not the ones society gave them at birth either. Weird.
Wasn't really refering to the pronoun thing because that's personal. Those are dictated on a person to person basis so it's not usually a problem. However the public space will still misgender until you tell them whatever pronoun you prefer and then it becomes personal again.

You are generic boy/girl until you get personal with someone and teach them different. Which is why I explained that it is so hard to NOT-misgender, at least at first. Upon getting to know someone then sure pronouns become easier.

But then you have to classify the whole thing, the explanation that trans and non-binary can be the same thing, but only sometimes, and not really, but also yes, all spells problems for the wider population to keep straight. See what I mean?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
There is no difference.

Some non-binary people refer to themselves as trans and some don't. There isn't a single definition of what makes a person trans. Some people might be uncomfortable calling themselves trans if they don't intend to socially or medically transition or if they don't suffer from gender dysphoria while others feel that treating being trans purely as a medical condition is insulting and that trans is an identity available to anyone who feels they belong to it. Some non-binary people feel that the term trans should be reserved for binary trans people and non-binary people should just be our own thing. There's no right or wrong answer.

For someone like James Stephanie though, very few people would dispute that they are trans because they are transfeminine. They have socially and medically transitioned to present more like a cis woman. Being non-binary isn't really a matter of how you look. You can be clearly feminine or masculine and still be non-binary.
Yeah the way I get it, if you're transitioning, you by definition are transitioning from "something" to "something else", so there has to be a something, and there has to be a something else, instead of this more general nonbinary thing that is ever-shifting like the tides. Cause if you're in a permanent state of flux, you can't ever be something or become something else for more than a nanosecond, you're constantly transitioning to an infinity of modes of being all the time, it's inherent to the definition.

I think people are so preoccupied with not making others feel weird or bad that they just allow for some super illogical stuff in the name of kindness and that just doesn't make sense to me. I dunno how much harm it would cause to let people know that they have to make sense in a logic-based way too, but I can't help but feel that people should indeed look into that. I think it's normal to feel a bit different from day to day on the inside, but you don't necessarily have to give that feeling a gender-based manifestation, you know. Sometimes you just have a calm contemplative mood, other times you have a go getter mood, you don't have to give em roles and lives and act em out, you can just kinda integrate them into your greater being like personas.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah the way I get it, if you're transitioning, you by definition are transitioning from "something" to "something else", so there has to be a something, and there has to be a something else, instead of this more general nonbinary thing that is ever-shifting like the tides. Cause if you're in a permanent state of flux, you can't ever be something or become something else for more than a nanosecond, you're constantly transitioning to an infinity of modes of being all the time, it's inherent to the definition.

I think people are so preoccupied with not making others feel weird or bad that they just allow for some super illogical stuff in the name of kindness and that just doesn't make sense to me. I dunno how much harm it would cause to let people know that they have to make sense in a logic-based way too, but I can't help but feel that people should indeed look into that. I think it's normal to feel a bit different from day to day on the inside, but you don't necessarily have to give that feeling a gender-based manifestation, you know. Sometimes you just have a calm contemplative mood, other times you have a go getter mood, you don't have to give em roles and lives and act em out, you can just kinda integrate them into your greater being like personas.
Trans isn't short for transitioning. it's used in the same way as trans-fats. In the case of trans-fats, or trans-fatty acids, it is referring to the chemical structure. A non-trans-fatty acid has its structure set up to where there is no bend in the chemical structure that isn't mirrored, while a trans-fat has a "kink" in it. It's hard to describe verbally, but this diagram should be a bit clearer.

1676479820374.png

Likewise, being "transgender" doesn't mean that someone is necessarily in the process of transitioning from male to female, or vice versa. It just means there is a "kink", for want of a better word, in their gender identity. I think that perfectly covers how nonbinary falls into "transgender".

I may be a bit biased because I've been spending the last couple of years doing some soul-searching and trying to decide if I'm fully male or not, and am leaning into not, but believe me, I'm not just doing it because I want to feel special, or give my moods a gender-based manifestation. I just don't know if saying I'm a guy is fully right.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't really refering to the pronoun thing because that's personal. Those are dictated on a person to person basis so it's not usually a problem. However the public space will still misgender until you tell them whatever pronoun you prefer and then it becomes personal again.

You are generic boy/girl until you get personal with someone and teach them different. Which is why I explained that it is so hard to NOT-misgender, at least at first. Upon getting to know someone then sure pronouns become easier.

But then you have to classify the whole thing, the explanation that trans and non-binary can be the same thing, but only sometimes, and not really, but also yes, all spells problems for the wider population to keep straight. See what I mean?
I see how it can be confusing. Imagine how confusing it is to someone going through it. I guarantee its more confusing for them than it is for uninvolved observers.

The truth is that people make honest mistakes based on outward appearances, associations, and assumptions. But nobody is actually getting angry about honest mistakes. The anger comes when someone is corrected and then insists on misgendering in a vain attempt to make a point.

Nonbinary people aren't "shifting every nanosecond". It just means they don't fit the traditional binary. That's all. So it's an umbrella term: some people have a fixed identity outside of the binary; others don't.

Those that don't are usually called "genderfluid", because it's more descriptive.

With "transition", it doesn't necessarily mean "from male to female". It means "from one thing to another". So someone could have a male birthsex, then start identifying as non-binary later in life. Still a transition of gender identity.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I see how it can be confusing. Imagine how confusing it is to someone going through it. I guarantee its more confusing for them than it is for uninvolved observers.

The truth is that people make honest mistakes based on outward appearances, associations, and assumptions. But nobody is actually getting angry about honest mistakes. The anger comes when someone is corrected and then insists on misgendering in a vain attempt to make a point.
I think a lot more honest mistakes get made out of habit than actual vitriol when having normal conversations with some trans. You generally aren't trying to associate with people who would be confrontational towards you about your identity.

With "transition", it doesn't necessarily mean "from male to female"
In the context of trans-gender it does. Even with all the crazy social media posts I've seen where people are identifying as insects or animals, I've never seen a trans person not strictly label themselves as transMAN or transWOMAN.

To me it still appears that Trans people are still trying to apply themselves into the binary or Male or Female. They are just moving to the opposite of whatever gender they were born as. Although, I guess if we wanna get nitpicky with terms, trans-people don't really seem to be transititioning between genders but instead to Sex, Male sex or Female sex. Therefore I suppose the argument can be that Transsexual is the better term to apply, because transgender doesn't quite fit. But then sometimes it does so.......GAAAAHHH FUCK!

It's confusing, okay? It's fucking confusing!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I think a lot more honest mistakes get made out of habit than actual vitriol when having normal conversations with some trans. You generally aren't trying to associate with people who would be confrontational towards you about your identity.
I think you'd be surprised. There's a great deal of kneejerk hostility towards things people don't understand.

In the context of trans-gender it does. Even with all the crazy social media posts I've seen where people are identifying as insects or animals, I've never seen a trans person not strictly label themselves as transMAN or transWOMAN.
It strikes me that this probably just means you're seeing unrepresentative stuff-- and judging by the "identify as an insect" nonsense, it's probably because you're being suggested outrage bait.

To me it still appears that Trans people are still trying to apply themselves into the binary or Male or Female. They are just moving to the opposite of whatever gender they were born as. Although, I guess if we wanna get nitpicky with terms, trans-people don't really seem to be transititioning between genders but instead to Sex, Male sex or Female sex. Therefore I suppose the argument can be that Transsexual is the better term to apply, because transgender doesn't quite fit. But then sometimes it does so.......GAAAAHHH FUCK!
Some are transitioning between the two binary options (i think most do). But others aren't. That's all there is to it.

And no, not all trans people are changing their morphological sexual characteristics, and its not definitive to do so, which renders the "transexual" terminology a bit inaccurate and archaic.

It's confusing, okay? It's fucking confusing!
Yes, I acknowledged that and agreed. But nobody is getting on your case about honest mistakes here. All I'm trying to do is explain some stuff but you seem to be kicking off.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Your response is not surprising, cuz you don't give a rat's ass about the person. You lack actual basic empathy and only see what you want to see. In football game or not, but true friend would have respected that person and actually least talk and asked them what was wrong and see their conversation through to the end. Not blowing them off and try to guilt Trip them immediately. Which is what the commenter's friends did. As usual, your answers are non-answers, ignore the example and evidence, full of shit, and hold no water. Don't bother responding back, because I won't be listening to you either. Because of the more the same shit.
Your response is surprising considering you said a while ago you were done replying to me and were keeping be on ignore.
The content however is not surprising. You claim I don't care for other people yet I said I wouldn't want people to be forced into making a choice to join a boycott I support or stop being my friend. I can appreciate and empathise with them wanting to enjoy it and wanting to get some measure of happiness from it. I respect them enough to not consider them lesser or force such choices on them in some pathetic emotional blackmail routine.

How is it not guilt tripping them to basically go "If you buy or play this game your no longer my friend? " That's the kind of stupid stuff I'd expect in at oldest highschool but normally it dies off before then.

The arguments for the boycott are full of shit and hold no water.
The same for this argument of yours.
You didn't address what I said.
You threw some insults and went for ad hominem attacks.

Funny how you demand people listen to others and hypocritically you proudly declare you won't listen to what I have to say. Not that you seem to have listen to what I said before responding with your angry rant anyway.

If you're going to bother to respond again try making some actual counter arguments or I will just reply by blowing raspberries at you as that would be more at the level of response that your reponses like this warrant

True, but too bad they did when they blew off their friend like that. By getting angry at them and getting defensive, they by and large are justifying their purchase or why they're playing the game while ignoring their friend's fears and valid concerns. Someone like you who lacks true empathy wouldn't sympathize with the actual victims, and are more than happy to side and make excuses for the abusers or the people with jackass attitudes. You've done this more times that you care to count, so don't act otherwise.
Because people are demanding people justify it or pulling the "You're hurting me by playing this game how could you do such a thing" bullshit.

Empathy doesn't mean doing what people want just because they get emotional.

As for "Actual victims" Oh the horror of the victims in this case having to see their friends playing a video game. So much lasting harm, they'll need therapy for years to get over such a harrowing thing they truly are survivors.

Bu hey this is just your normal pattern of lashing out and hypocrisy playing out again

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This highlights why it is so confusing for people.
Not really.

The only rule, is there are no rules, except you better know the rules or you're a bigot.
Most people don't need rules to interact with human beings. You deal with similar situations of ambiguity every single day, and somehow manage to navigate them. If you don't want to have to expend the same effort on trans and non-binary people as you would on anyone else, tough. We're not going to link our brains up into some kind of hivemind where we all think and feel the same way just because you can't be bothered to see us as individuals.

You have social skills, use them. Maybe, instead of treating other people like accessories who only exist to provide you with reassurance that you're not a bigot, spend more time focusing on those people and treating them as if they are important.

I realise I'm being slightly ableist. Maybe you struggle with social skills and do need clear rules in order to interact with people. Think though, because the answer is actually quite simple. How would someone who cared about other people resolve that situation?

Did she? She's done nothing to her voice if that's the case. I'm not sure she's don't anything except wear feminine clothing and make-up, plus she lost some weight.
For someone who talks about language being universal, do you genuinely not understand the concept of a singular they/them?

Yeah the way I get it, if you're transitioning, you by definition are transitioning from "something" to "something else", so there has to be a something, and there has to be a something else
Why does one of those things have to be male and the other female?

Why is it impossible for you to imagine a stable point outside of those two identities (at least, to the extent that any human identity is stable).

I think people are so preoccupied with not making others feel weird or bad that they just allow for some super illogical stuff in the name of kindness and that just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm sorry to tell you this. But there's nothing "logical" about the fact you base a huge part of your social identity on the shape of your genitals. In fact, it's actually pretty silly and nonsensical. So much so in fact that for some people, being non-binary is intented as a political statement to illustrate how deeply silly this whole neurotic crotch obsession of yours is.

People like you burn down forests because you get too excited about whether an unborn fetus has a dick or not, and yet we're the ones who are too hard to accommodate..

Sometimes you just have a calm contemplative mood, other times you have a go getter mood, you don't have to give em roles and lives and act em out, you can just kinda integrate them into your greater being like personas.
Speaking as someone who is actually genderfluid (which most non-binary people are not). I don't give "gendered roles" to my emotions. I'm really not sure where you got that idea.

The "fluidity" in my identity is based on whether I want to be interpreted as more feminine or more masculine, not which emotion I am feeling. You can, believe it or not, be feminine or masculine and still be a complete person with a full range of emotions.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Trans isn't short for transitioning. it's used in the same way as trans-fats. In the case of trans-fats, or trans-fatty acids, it is referring to the chemical structure. A non-trans-fatty acid has its structure set up to where there is no bend in the chemical structure that isn't mirrored, while a trans-fat has a "kink" in it. It's hard to describe verbally, but this diagram should be a bit clearer.

View attachment 7936

Likewise, being "transgender" doesn't mean that someone is necessarily in the process of transitioning from male to female, or vice versa. It just means there is a "kink", for want of a better word, in their gender identity. I think that perfectly covers how nonbinary falls into "transgender".

I may be a bit biased because I've been spending the last couple of years doing some soul-searching and trying to decide if I'm fully male or not, and am leaning into not, but believe me, I'm not just doing it because I want to feel special, or give my moods a gender-based manifestation. I just don't know if saying I'm a guy is fully right.
Um sorry but Trans comes from Latin and means across or beyond.
Cis meaning on this side of.
So In terms of transitioning it would mean not on the same side.
So yeh just as the Hydrogen atoms in your example of different sides it's that difference being marked out.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This sort of obsessive online rules lawyering is why a lot of LGBT+ folks are just going back to being queers. The cishets keep trying to break up the acronym and the younger queers are falling for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This sort of obsessive online rules lawyering is why a lot of LGBT+ folks are just going back to being queers. The cishets keep trying to break up the acronym and the younger queers are falling for it.
Because it's all part of the "plan". Nobody pants when things go according plan. Even if the plan is horrifying