Post some godawful video game character designs

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Me too, it's an instant turn off.

Which is a shame, as I do like fantasy RPGs and I don't get on with the Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age etc style ones. But from what I can see the main alternative seems to be the turn based tactics type RPG and 90% of that is accompanied by hideous anime bullshit. Even if it goes for more grounded designs the art style puts me off.
I kinda suffer from this as well. I don't even look at games on Steam if they've used anime artwork for the promo - I'm just instantly not interested. I might be missing out on some really good gameplay I guess, but I don't really think I am.
It's those stupid bouffant hairdos with floppy fringes and moody looks, the absurdly oversized or overdesigned weapons and armour. Anime style graphics generally means JRPG, and I can't stand JRPGs generally. Don't like the gamplay style or the tone - which mostly seems to be kawaii or juvenile S&M wank fantasy. Someone once tried to get me into one of the classic FF games back in the 90s; I was generally less than impressed - funnily enough it was when I encountered a chocobo I switched off for good. (Although, I accept, there's nothing inherently wrong with chocobos.)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

I might currently be replaying a game with anime-esque graphics.

I will figure out how to pass the exam about rescuing the red monkeys' friend, dammit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I will figure out how to pass the exam about rescuing the red monkeys' friend, dammit.
The style is anime, but the design philosophy is much more what I would associate with a Western dev, although by no means exclusively. Those appears to be stylish yet very sensible outfits. Like Hogwarts in the fifteenth century is the vibe I'm getting here.

The entirety of the Castlevania Judgment cast. Overdesigned toss. Tho the worst is of course
LOL29.gif

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The style is anime, but the design philosophy is much more what I would associate with a Western dev, although by no means exclusively. Those appears to be stylish yet very plain outfits. Like Hogwarts in the fifteenth century is the vibe I'm getting here.
Well, it's a 21st century magical in the US, which is very close to infringing on Rowling's IP, but which makes a point to include LGBT people.

Though, yeah, design philosophy being western is a good way of putting it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, it's a 21st century magical in the US, which is very close to infringing on Rowling's IP, but which makes a point to include LGBT people.

Though, yeah, design philosophy being western is a good way of putting it.
Rowling doesn't own the idea of a wizard/witch school. You can't own the IP for something so broad. Just like Nintendo cannot own the idea of the side scroller. IP doesn't work that way.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rowling doesn't own the idea of a wizard/witch school. You can't own the IP for something so broad. Just like Nintendo cannot own the idea of the side scroller. IP doesn't work that way.
That didn't stop Namco for over 15 years owning copyrights on mini games during loading screens. Something they had forgotten about, causing the patent to expire. Some games got around this loophole before the expiration, but it was usually small budget games. I noticed that around the HD era and Wii, some games were a bit more brave about putting in loading screen mini games, and Namco seemed to forget by that point or didn't care. Which makes you wonder, why they even bother to the first place.

Then there's WB...

That's two games using a patenting system on a gameplay mechanic that should be for everyone. The only reason why they do this is selfish greed, and thinking they won't get all the money in the world. Namco and WB are both guilty of this. It's another case of "if I can't have it then nobody can!/I am the only one that should!".

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It wouldn't be just ONE thing. It would be lots of little ones adding up. In that screen shot we have robed wizards and witches prominently wearing red and green to distinguish themselves, and I'd be willing to bet there's yellow and blue waiting in the wings. Since its still tooling around on Steam I'm going to assume the Devs for it were savvy enough to skirt the line and remain on the side of homage, rather than serial numbers filed off.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It wouldn't be just ONE thing. It would be lots of little ones adding up. In that screen shot we have robed wizards and witches prominently wearing red and green to distinguish themselves, and I'd be willing to bet there's yellow and blue waiting in the wings. Since its still tooling around on Steam I'm going to assume the Devs for it were savvy enough to skirt the line and remain on the side of homage, rather than serial numbers filed off.
British Professor Snape Grabiner has forever been turned grumpy after his muggleborn wildseed love Lily Violet was killed because of him.

Having said that, the games do a lot with its characters and setting to go way beyond Harry Potter.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That didn't stop Namco for over 15 years owning copyrights on mini games during loading screens. Something they had forgotten about, causing the patent to expire. Some games to get around this loophole before he expiration, but it was usually small budget games. I noticed that around the HD era and Wii, some games were a bit more brave about putting in loading screen mini games, and Namco seems to forget by that point or didn't care. Which makes you wonder, why they even bother to the first place.
The thing is, those haven't been challenged and odds are they wouldn't stand up in court, but no one really cares enough to spend the money doing it.

Wizards in robes is a really old trope and color coding is school uniforms. For it to risk running afoul of IP they would have to have really closely copied story events that were unique to Harry Potter or straight up copied names and personalities with no changes.

British Professor Snape Grabiner has forever been turned grumpy after his muggleborn wildseed love Lily Violet was killed because of him.

Having said that, the games do a lot with its characters and setting to go way beyond Harry Potter.
Assuming that all happens in the books/movies, then the changes there are still probably enough to not be at risk. Really depends on the details.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The thing is, those haven't been challenged and odds are they wouldn't stand up in court, but no one really cares enough to spend the money doing it.

The fact that many companies before the Namco patent expired were afraid to put mini games in their loading screens says otherwise. It's still stupid and selfish and only hurts creativity and talent. WB is doing the same shit, and banking/hoping no one else tries. If it's a large company or a company bigger than them, they maybe won't try anything. If it's a smaller company, an indie dev, or an individual, you bet your ass they're gonna come at full force like the cowards WB are. That is all I have to say on the matter, because I am not making thread go off topic any further.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Assuming that all happens in the books/movies, then the changes there are still probably enough to not be at risk. Really depends on the details.
Oh sure, I seriously doubt that Rowling sued (it's not like they infringed on Taylor Swift's or GW's IP), but they really make it blatant who they were taking some of the ideas from.

(Rescued the red monkey person, though e got chewed up a bit by the mothmen)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I want you to look at both characters very, very carefully and think about why they aren't designed that way. Take your time.
Hmmm, I give up, I just can't come up with the reason.

Bonus points if she's also 1000yo but both looks and acts like a child
Extra bonus points if you can breed them with other members of the party so their future children can come back in time and help you fight. I put her with the huge guy in heavy armor. Fire Emblem: Awakening was a weird game.

These two. So much "original character do not steal" energy
I kind of get Metal Sonic as a way to make him kind of intimidating, but what is this? 'Woolly Sonic?'

The entirety of Sonic Boom characters, especially Knuckles (seriously, when did he do steroids?)
View attachment 7993
It's cause of all the time he saves by not chuckling, instead he flexes his muscles.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Extra bonus points if you can breed them with other members of the party so their future children can come back in time and help you fight. I put her with the huge guy in heavy armor. Fire Emblem: Awakening was a weird game.
Could be worse tho. Could've had a mini-game where you pet your characters while they blush furiously and sometimes say suggestive things.
I kind of get Metal Sonic as a way to make him kind of intimidating, but what is this? 'Woolly Sonic?'
Nah, an evil fragment of a sun god taking the shape of a crystalline Shadow the Hedgehog, who in turn is the edgier anti-villain Sonic. No, really.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

Well, they're pretty bland but I wouldn't call it godawful. Just anime.

The entirety of the Castlevania Judgment cast. Overdesigned toss. Tho the worst is of course
Now that's more like it! 👍

It's pretty sad how old this trope is, and predates the era where video games could really depict it. This was in a mailer I got from a book club when I was a teenager.

View attachment 8002

There was a reason I titled this file "Hope It Don't Chafe".
But you did keep it on file... :p