Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
@Baffle
Warcraft as WoW or Warcraft the RTS ?

The stereotype probably has a very good reason to exist, but it is hard to judge how widespread such behavior really is. The gaming community is incredibly fractured and each little corner has its own standard of proper behavior.

@TheMysteriousGX
Oh, that i totally believe. I completely avoid social media and have so much less garbage in my life.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They can totally criticize the culture warriors they already have problems with.

I mean, they have criticized Rowling for years and that didn't make the HP fandom take her side. They mostly just made an artist/art seperation and moved on. But attacking the new, high profile HP release and its prospective players ? That will rub them the wrong way.
So, trans gamers can have an opinion, long as it isn't negative about a big release? I'm unconvinced by this argument

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Trying to organize a boycott is not "having an opinion". Neither is linking "buying the game" with tolerating/practicing transphobia. That is nothing but picking a fight with people who looked forward to the game.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Warcraft as WoW or Warcraft the RTS ?

The stereotype probably has a very good reason to exist, but it is hard to judge how widespread such behavior really is. The gaming community is incredibly fractured and each little corner has its own standard of proper behavior.
The MMO. My personal experience of gamers as a community broadly is negative to the degree that I no longer play online games and have minimal interest in things like Twitch (I used to watch Limmy sometimes). I don't know the reason for the different attitudes in hobbies. Maybe consumptive hobbies (gaming, films) are more badly behaved that productive hobbies (woodwork, pottery), where the communities tend to be more supportive. Dunno.

Reactions: Absent

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The MMO. My personal experience of gamers as a community broadly is negative to the degree that I no longer play online games and have minimal interest in things like Twitch (I used to watch Limmy sometimes). I don't know the reason for the different attitudes in hobbies. Maybe consumptive hobbies (gaming, films) are more badly behaved that productive hobbies (woodwork, pottery), where the communities tend to be more supportive. Dunno.
Oh, yes, MMOs were strange. I played in several and they had completely different communities. If i had to make vague generalisations, PvE focused games were better than PvP ones but the average players age played even more of a role, the older people who had settled in their life tended to be far more relaxed. It was a difference like night and day between e.g. WoW and DDO. But i have not played any for quite some time.

As for consumptive/productive hobbies ... sounds likely but i wouldn't count games are purely consumptive. I mean, minecraft is a thing and a whole lot of all the simulation and even strategy titles are about building something up and realizing your very own vision of something. And that is before we get into modding which makes up a huge chunk of the community space for many games.
OTOh it probably doesn't get much more consumptive than watching a Twitch stream. That hardly counts as gaming anymore, no more than watching a football match counts as sport.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I finished it yesterday. Felt it sorta started to fall apart towards the end. Or rather, it got to a point where its good parts couldn't compensate for its weaker parts anymore. It turned into a series of increasingly frequent and increasingly samey combat encounters, while having pretty much exhausted its enemy variety midway through the game and having a moveset that, while larger than what you'd expect, also has a bunch of redundancies.

To be fair, it doesn't help that I was a bit underleveled for the finale so the enemies felt more spongey than they were supposed to but that was really only part of the problem.

Overall I feel positive but not really amazed by the game. There's a lot of incredibly charming stuff in there and while the main quest wasn't anything to write home about, I did really warm up to some of the supporting cast. At least the ones that had their own designated questlines, Natsai, Poppy and Sebastian, I was invested in by the end. I feel the main problem with the narrative side of the game is in its priorities.

I mentioned earlier that I didn't like how much of a Gary Stu the protagonist is, in being liked immediately by practically everyone except the villains, but that is really only one aspect of it. A big part of what made the series enjoyable and Hogwarts such a good setting were the dynamics between the people there. You had friendships, rivalries, romances and intrigue playing out between students and to a lesser extent faculty. Hogwarts Legacy feels like it neglected that way too much. It was missing characters like Draco Malfoy or Professor Snape who'd add some conflict to the actual school life part of the game.

And just generally, that aspect felt too undercooked. The books put great emphasis on the experience of studying in a magic school. Regular lessons and tests, events like Christmas and Halloween celebrations were given some focus (the lack of that in the game is especially jarring, considering the castle is actually decorated for these holidays), aspects like the house cup or the Quidditch cup that frame the house rivalries in Hogwarts are completely absent.

It just doesn't really manage to turn Hogwarts into an actual microcosm of interweaving personal stories, rather than just a hub. Honestly, I would have gladly taken a smaller overworld if Hogwarts and Hogsmeade had been more fleshed out and dynamic in return. Both are beautifully designed, but for the most part still just feel like sets.

If it had paid more attention to these things, I would have overlooked the relatively forgettable storyline but it hasn't, so I really can't. The core mystery around "ancient magic" could have been a perfectly good framework, but the overly video gamey "complete four trials to prove your abilities" is incredibly boring and the two villains barely have screentime, or personality.

Oh, and here's something else. This might sound petty, and I might not have pointed it out if I didn't have the same problem with GoW: Ragnarök which I've played right before, but listen: Just because solving a puzzle might take me a minute doesn't mean you have to tell me the solution. Back on the N64, there was this obscure action-adventure game called "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" which, you see, had a mechanic where your fairy companion would give you a hint after, and only after, pressing the C Down button to ask her for one. It's an approach that many games could take some notes from.

Anyway, the game was mostly pretty charming but there's a lot of room for improvement. This will almost assuredly get a sequel eventually, so I hope the developers will be able to recognize what it is still missing. The frameworks solid, but the specifics still need work.

Welp, I'm gonna start Wanted Dead now.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
*checks thread*

…Holy hell…does anyone even remember any of the talking arguing points made in just the last four pages since yesterday afternoon? Maybe this thread would really take off if moved to Current Events, since the game itself appears to have just been a red herring.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Woooooosshhhhhh what, ************? Fucking nobody is saying "there was absolutely zero harassment ever"
I was asked to show one, ONE example

"
The number of people saying or agreeing with someone that being doxxed and harassed for playing a damn video-game is deserved, disgusts me.
Name one of those people. Just one. Any one."

and I did, and then some, then I get the snarky reply from you "you only showed ONE!" As if you just couldn't possibly remember who I replied to. YOU moved the goalpost to this being specifically about death threats. So buzz off you disengenuous git.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Like I said, I can do this aaaaaaaaalllllllllllll day boys. I am more than willing to hit you over the head with this until the cows come home if it gets it through your thick skulls that people are in fact being assholes over this.
The fact that you appear so gleeful at finding examples of people being assholes does not give me a lot of hope for the conclusions you'll take away from this.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I finished it yesterday. Felt it sorta started to fall apart towards the end. Or rather, it got to a point where its good parts couldn't compensate for its weaker parts anymore. It turned into a series of increasingly frequent and increasingly samey combat encounters, while having pretty much exhausted its enemy variety midway through the game and having a moveset that, while larger than what you'd expect, also has a bunch of redundancies.

To be fair, it doesn't help that I was a bit underleveled for the finale so the enemies felt more spongey than they were supposed to but that was really only part of the problem.

Overall I feel positive but not really amazed by the game. There's a lot of incredibly charming stuff in there and while the main quest wasn't anything to write home about, I did really warm up to some of the supporting cast. At least the ones that had their own designated questlines, Natsai, Poppy and Sebastian, I was invested in by the end. I feel the main problem with the narrative side of the game is in its priorities.

I mentioned earlier that I didn't like how much of a Gary Stu the protagonist is, in being liked immediately by practically everyone except the villains, but that is really only one aspect of it. A big part of what made the series enjoyable and Hogwarts such a good setting were the dynamics between the people there. You had friendships, rivalries, romances and intrigue playing out between students and to a lesser extent faculty. Hogwarts Legacy feels like it neglected that way too much. It was missing characters like Draco Malfoy or Professor Snape who'd add some conflict to the actual school life part of the game.

And just generally, that aspect felt too undercooked. The books put great emphasis on the experience of studying in a magic school. Regular lessons and tests, events like Christmas and Halloween celebrations were given some focus (the lack of that in the game is especially jarring, considering the castle is actually decorated for these holidays), aspects like the house cup or the Quidditch cup that frame the house rivalries in Hogwarts are completely absent.

It just doesn't really manage to turn Hogwarts into an actual microcosm of interweaving personal stories, rather than just a hub. Honestly, I would have gladly taken a smaller overworld if Hogwarts and Hogsmeade had been more fleshed out and dynamic in return. Both are beautifully designed, but for the most part still just feel like sets.

If it had paid more attention to these things, I would have overlooked the relatively forgettable storyline but it hasn't, so I really can't. The core mystery around "ancient magic" could have been a perfectly good framework, but the overly video gamey "complete four trials to prove your abilities" is incredibly boring and the two villains barely have screentime, or personality.

Oh, and here's something else. This might sound petty, and I might not have pointed it out if I didn't have the same problem with GoW: Ragnarök which I've played right before, but listen: Just because solving a puzzle might take me a minute doesn't mean you have to tell me the solution. Back on the N64, there was this obscure action-adventure game called "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" which, you see, had a mechanic where your fairy companion would give you a hint after, and only after, pressing the C Down button to ask her for one. It's an approach that many games could take some notes from.

Anyway, the game was mostly pretty charming but there's a lot of room for improvement. This will almost assuredly get a sequel eventually, so I hope the developers will be able to recognize what it is still missing. The frameworks solid, but the specifics still need work.

Welp, I'm gonna start Wanted Dead now.
I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This thread is actually for talking about anything but Hogwarts: Legacy.

Your thoughts pretty much mirror the impression I got from the first couple of hours. I just find it very strange that a game called Hogwarts: Legacy doesn't actually place the focus on being a student in Hogwarts and is actually about an undercover Ministry of Magic Auror going on a mass murder spree.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I read it as frustration.
There's frustration, and then there is going a bit overboard. I get it and I don't approve of the harassment of the streamers either. I don't like to compare disasters and tragedies, but that frustration Specter Von Baren is feeling, is 10 times worse for those constantly being harassed/threatened for being trans or gay. Same applies to those who are harassed/threatened constantly on Twitch just for being black, latino, Arab, or female.