Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I still think they should go back to the Founder’s era and do the miniseries about actually establishing the school.
Only if Joanne is the sole writer. I want to see what batshit justification she'd have for Slyterin being allowed in polite society. A competent writer wouldn't be as funny

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I haven't played Hogwarts Legacy, but it has nothing to do with transphobia. I just don't have any interest in Harry Potter.
Pretty much where I am. Saw the movies(the Hogwarts ones, not the newer prequels) and found them generally fine. I had no urge to engage with the series beyond that.

Probably didn't help I didn't see the movies till I was in my 30's and by that point I'd read more interesting/engaging fantasy that isn't centered around kids going to boarding school.

And honestly, stories centered around kids going to school is usually enough to get me to give it a pass no matter what the context. There are a few exceptions here and there but generally it's not my thing. Maybe because I don't have a many fond memories about my own time in school but who knows.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Pretty much where I am. Saw the movies(the Hogwarts ones, not the newer prequels) and found them generally fine. I had no urge to engage with the series beyond that.

Probably didn't help I didn't see the movies till I was in my 30's and by that point I'd read more interesting/engaging fantasy.
If you don't have the nostalgia attachment to Harry Potter, it's much easier to see the weak spots in the series. I read a little more than half the books, watched the first three movies and lost interest after that. Especially as Rowling revealed who she really is.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If you don't have the nostalgia attachment to Harry Potter, it's much easier to see the weak spots in the series. I read a little more than half the books, watched the first three movies and lost interest after that. Especially as Rowling revealed who she really is.
Yeah, I didn't know much about Rowling when I saw the movies so I saw them without that coloring my perspective. I suspect knowing probably would have made it even harder for me to get anything out of them.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Yeah, I didn't know much about Rowling when I saw the movies so I saw them without that coloring my perspective. I suspect knowing probably would have made it even harder for me to get anything out of them.
She published most of the books if not the original 7 before she began to tell the world about her fascist leanings. Although, the house elf thing should have been a red flag in hindsight. At the time I thought it was just clunky.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
She published most of the books if not the original 7 before she began to tell the world about her fascist leanings. Although, the house elf thing should have been a red flag in hindsight. At the time I thought it was just clunky.
In fairness, the house elf thing wasn't in the movies because of course it wasn't, it was terrible. And most people's nostalgia come from those instead of the books

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I remember Dobby in the movies. Especially the sock thing. I take it that the books are a lot worse?
In the novels it turns out the kitchen is run by house elves, and following Dobby's freedom he gained employment there. There was also a subplot where Crouch's house elf was blamed for the incident at the Quiddich World Cup by her master and as a punishment gained freedom, something she considered a fate worse than death. She also ended up in Hogwarts' kitchen.

Hermione was horrified when she found out and started an organization to help them but more or less gave up after Hagrid said that it's only the really weird ones that want freedom so it was a fool's errand and was met with horrified looks from the Hogwarts kitchen house elves, once she started talking of her intentions.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
"Fascism" officially has no meaning anymore. It is basically just a curse word that's only purpose is to say "I do not like this person".

Reactions: Hawki