The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Taking Ass and Kicking Names!

He felt like one of the easier Big Bosses to kill. He packed a punch so it took me a few goes (and a few goes just to figure out his stuff like I was killed immediately by the first Purple arrow he shot cause I had no idea what it was when I first walked in) but otherwise he was relatively easy.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
ER is giagantic. I dunno why people are so sure there is going be DLC considering any DLC they make would also have to be really really big or it would be disappointing.

It isnt an easy thing to ask for or expect.
There's some bits they could definately use DLC to expand the worldbuilding for sure(the Miquella cocoon behind Mohg or Farum Azula, for example) and it would be cool to see something along those lines. People have also been pointing out for a while now that the 6 Divine towers are perfectly aligned around the inland sea in the center of the map which implies there is/was something there.

OTOH, if FROM doesn't want to do DLC, I'm not gonna cry or anything. I'm okay with what ER is and happy it exists.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
*sigh*... I started another play-through.

Look... I dunno... here's the thing... no other games make me think and re-think and try and re-try like FromSoftware. I hated Bloodborne until I became OBSESSED. I hated Sekiro until I became OBSESSED. I.. uh... played all the Dark Souls and grinded faction medals for stupid trophies... I don't know why. These games are like a psycho hot chick you just cannot quit even though it's not good for you.

My approach to this replay is:
- Try to get over my panic with some of these enemy move sets. My biggest problem is how fast and shifty everything is compered to Dark Souls, and I feel like I'm the only person in the world for whom this is a problem, and I want to check myself on this one.
- Not care how far I get. With the admittedly self-imposed pressure of having to beat and platinum the game out of the way, I can just sort of.. hang.
- Fire/bleed/faith build. Incantations look cool, I like fire, and I like the idea of holy warriors. So I started as a Confessor.

Beat Margit today, am at level 24, enjoying myself for now (previous play-through was sorceror until I got bored pew pewing blue then switched to bleed then did whatever cheese for late game). I'm determined to not look too much stuff up especially boss strategies. So like so far, I encountered two bosses I came back to with different strategies- a bloodhound something in a jail that was doing those crazy movesets I hate, and Margit. For bloodhound guy, I ended up using a flame hand and shield attack, which I enjoyed, and for Margit I was managing my allies and fireballs but switching to sword at opportune moments, and that was cool.
I also am enjoying giving up on tough mini-bosses and tombs.

I'll just keep going until I get fed up for find something more interesting to play. My opinions about the game aren't changing yet just the way I choose to engage with what's there. I am trying to embrace the "make your fun" spirit I see in others.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
*sigh*... I started another play-through.

Look... I dunno... here's the thing... no other games make me think and re-think and try and re-try like FromSoftware. I hated Bloodborne until I became OBSESSED. I hated Sekiro until I became OBSESSED. I.. uh... played all the Dark Souls and grinded faction medals for stupid trophies... I don't know why. These games are like a psycho hot chick you just cannot quit even though it's not good for you.

My approach to this replay is:
- Try to get over my panic with some of these enemy move sets. My biggest problem is how fast and shifty everything is compered to Dark Souls, and I feel like I'm the only person in the world for whom this is a problem, and I want to check myself on this one.
- Not care how far I get. With the admittedly self-imposed pressure of having to beat and platinum the game out of the way, I can just sort of.. hang.
- Fire/bleed/faith build. Incantations look cool, I like fire, and I like the idea of holy warriors. So I started as a Confessor.

Beat Margit today, am at level 24, enjoying myself for now (previous play-through was sorceror until I got bored pew pewing blue then switched to bleed then did whatever cheese for late game). I'm determined to not look too much stuff up especially boss strategies. So like so far, I encountered two bosses I came back to with different strategies- a bloodhound something in a jail that was doing those crazy movesets I hate, and Margit. For bloodhound guy, I ended up using a flame hand and shield attack, which I enjoyed, and for Margit I was managing my allies and fireballs but switching to sword at opportune moments, and that was cool.
I also am enjoying giving up on tough mini-bosses and tombs.

I'll just keep going until I get fed up for find something more interesting to play. My opinions about the game aren't changing yet just the way I choose to engage with what's there. I am trying to embrace the "make your fun" spirit I see in others.
Well you’re more dedicated than me because I basically said *screw that* regarding the grindier sequels’ trophies. I’m only missing the ones that are redundant from the first game anyways. Have fun trying something new; IMO it really is one of ER’s biggest strengths.

I personally haven’t started another fresh playthrough, but am early into Journey 3. Was big on pyromancy the latter half of the last one and it was pretty nifty. Lots of powerful spells that can melt bosses, including Malenia and bloopy beast.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
All of you harping on the DLC and/or repeat playthroughs, I'm starting to feel like the asthmatic kid who joined the track team, i.e.: y'all go on without me and have fun; I'll ride the bench with my inhaler.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You don't "have to" do anything. If you want to quit, then just quit. You don't have to force yourself. I wouldn't, regardless if I completed the base game, not, or did everything
You see, right now my PSN profile has a clean 100% for ER. When the DLC comes out it will lower that percentage and I really can't have that happen you know?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You see, right now my PSN profile has a clean 100% for ER. When the DLC comes out it will lower that percentage and I really can't have that happen you know?
Hasn't FROM traditionally not attached achievements/trophies to their DLC?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You don't "have to" do anything. If you want to quit, then just quit. You don't have to force yourself. I wouldn't, regardless if I completed the base game, not, or did everything
It’s Critical man, he has obligatory reviews and shit to post!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Again, we're sympatico on this one.

But I don't think they've ALWAYS had achievements with DLC. Darks Souls 3 I'm pretty sure did not have them. I never played DS3 DLC and I have that 100%. Though that is not the reason I didn't play that DLC, I was just burned out on the series by the time I completed the game and I heard those DLCs were even super-harded and I had had enough.

But for sure Bloodborne Old Hunters DLC has trophies.

Anyway, like everybody else I was expected DLC and I was planning to ignore it because of my mixed reaction to the game but then I decided to start another run so.... I dunno.

As for my current run, I defeated Godrick. I dunno what the heck I'm doing exactly with this build, I just decided to go for black flame stuff and my god I forgot how hard it is to upgrade in this stupid game lol.
Though once I finally did get that stuff, I defeated Godrick and the lion knight thing in that other castles by summoning something and hurling black flame balls at them, each on the second attempt. I know that ranged with summons is not a viable approach for a lot of bosses (contrary to what some people claim) but I'll go with it for now.

I'm at level 45 with 16 each and STR and DEX and 27 FTH. This was in order to use the Godslayer seal and the Winged Scythe. The latter, unfortunately is proving a dud- I keep trying to use scythes in these games and I can never make it work. But they look so cool! But swords are the only weapon I feel comfortable with in these stupid games ever (except I maces in DS2 and twinblades in DS2 and this game).

You know what? ER reminds me a lot of DS2 sometimes. It's just so weird to me that people crap on DS2 but think ER is the 2nd coming. They're both extremely flawed and wacky variations of the brilliant Dark Souls and my enjoyment is based on my mood. Like Back to the Future 3.