General Gaming News.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Id feel better if they just gave Yoshi-P the role. Because quite honestly they need someone at the helm that cares about making quality content.
Auteurs can be great managing a single project but may fail spectacularly if they’re saddled with multiple ones.

The new guys needs to be someone who gets business at that level but understands how best to allocate his talent. Like if someone were to move Yoshi-P from his current position to some where else and expect that same magic, I’d call them a fool. Head hunting someone as passionate about the project or position you need to fill as Yoshi is about his? That’s the sort of management I expect; let the talent do its thing but also keep them from going totally nuts.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The titles are bit boring for sure, but all the exciting games have their own esports events; And quite frankly, I’d rather see them stay that way. The IOC would try to censor and restrict what games can be played to try to appeal to the mass.
And just imagine if an anti-cheat program picks up on one country's team.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Wanna play guess the gimmick?

I guess....Virtua Boy 2...or maybe Virtua Man cause it grew up now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Amazing the franchise that started the whole city-building genre died off, while the spiritual successor lives on
I think that if EA plays their cards right they can become the top dog again. While SimCity(2013) was much derided for lots of technical issues/design issues brought about due to technical issues, my read is that Colossal Order took many glances on them when they made Cities: Skylines, the most notable being the tilt shift look. What I'm saying is: it is possible Colossal Order's success was carried a lot more by luck than they would like to believe. SimCity also has a longer running history.

So apparently, the title Paradox Tectonic was working on was a The Sims competitor, called Life By You. As was predicted.

I hope it will be a good game, ideally good enough that it makes EA step up their game.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You think the notion that EA is not at least trying to learn something from the competition optimistic?
I can't blame @RhombusHatesYou for his reasoning. There's a difference between optimism and straight up naivety. Don't forget that is still EA we are talking about. The same company that has shut down many studios over the pass decade for "failing to meet expectations" or even when a studio did their fucking job. The same company that used online passes to "kill" used games for the rest of the 7th generation. The same company that constantly told the lie for over a decade that "single player is dead". Only to try to backpedal on Twitter last year with a "just joking guys! LOL!", when nobody bought it and the average gamer told them to fuck off. The same company that still has a monopoly on annual releases on sports titles and puts gaming mechanics in to manipulate children and those with addictive tendencies. The same company that won't pay that money back to parents who had their credit/bank cards taken from their kids who either don't know any better, don't understand the concept of money, or have those with the addictive tendencies I mentioned. The same company that tried to push "LIEV SERVACES!" and failed with most of them. Only succeeding with Apex Legends (and they still had to shut down the mobile versions), because Respawn was allowed to do whatever they want, and made sure the game is fun with no scummy practices.

I get wanting for a publisher to get better or learn something, but let's be real, EA has not learned shit. They'll make the same mistakes again at some point or screw over one of their in-house developers or more. In your case, you are being naïve. I hate it say it, but don't get your hopes up too high. That is all I have to say on the matter.

GameStop fucking up again!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

If you listen carefully, you can hearsweet little lies faintly playing in the background
A release date but no clear gameplay shown (aside from what's seen in the background of some guy talking), the surest sign that this game is having a good development and totally won't be release broken/delayed and/or the necessitate crunch.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I can't blame @RhombusHatesYou for his reasoning. There's a difference between optimism and straight up naivety. Don't forget that is still EA we are talking about. The same company that has shut down many studios over the pass decade for "failing to meet expectations" or even when a studio did their fucking job. The same company that used online passes to "kill" used games for the rest of the 7th generation. The same company that constantly told the lie for over a decade that "single player is dead". Only to try to backpedal on Twitter last year with a "just joking guys! LOL!", when nobody bought it and the average gamer told them to fuck off. The same company that still has a monopoly on annual releases on sports titles and puts gaming mechanics in to manipulate children and those with addictive tendencies. The same company that won't pay that money back to parents who had their credit/bank cards taken from their kids who either don't know any better, don't understand the concept of money, or have those with the addictive tendencies I mentioned. The same company that tried to push "LIEV SERVACES!" and failed with most of them. Only succeeding with Apex Legends (and they still had to shut down the mobile versions), because Respawn was allowed to do whatever they want, and made sure the game is fun with no scummy practices.

I get wanting for a publisher to get better or learn something, but let's be real, EA has not learned shit. They'll make the same mistakes again at some point or screw over one of their in-house developers or more. In your case, you are being naïve. I hate it say it, but don't get your hopes up too high. That is all I have to say on the matter.
I am aware of all* EA's sins. When I say EA I refer both to the publisher and its development studios. And those have learnt from other studios in the past. There is some interview with Paradox people where they reveal that while they were developing Crusader Kings II there was a developer from Maxis that walked up to them on a conference and said "Hey, you should make a sequel to Crusader Kings". A few years later, The Sims Medieval was release. They had presumably learnt a thing or two from what their competition, including Paradox, had done.

When it comes to The Sims, the general picture I've gotten is that they have practically a monopoly since all would-be competitors fizzled out relatively quickly. That is a bad thing for competition; it's possible that people only return to the title out of habit and because there is no valid alternative. It is also bad for The Sims. It is possible some aspect of the game could stand to update but they dare not change what works or fail to see flaws in their design, flaws that a competitor could come along and highlight.

But I hear what you say: EA the publisher won't change. And to some degree I agree, but there is one aspect they do care about: the bottom line. If a competitor comes along and takes a big chunk out of their userbase then they get less income and that I suspect will prompt a response. If there is some radical new innovative idea with Life By You then they probably will make some version of that in one of their expansions; if there's not but it is still a success then they'll either have to accept less revenue or step up their game.

I'm basing this on World of Warcraft, where there were several would-be-WoW-killers that fizzled out and if the WoW developers liked their killer feature they implemented a version of it in WoW. Though I've never played that game, so I might be basing this off of nothing.

So yeah, as I said ideally it is good enough that it makes EA step up their game.

*well, the part of not paying back parents was news.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The sims is kinda of a weird thing to analyze as a video game because from my understanding the majority of people who play sim play it exclusively and essentially don't play other video game. Like, how many time has the sims being referred to in this entire forum (outside of the occasional meme, like reference of removing the ladder in the sims to watch them), I'm gonna guess in the low single digit. Yet its one of the most successful franchise of all time and print massive amount of money trough the metric fuckton of DLC it keep releasing.

I imagine most the Sims player will never hear of this competitor since they almost certainly don't read video game website, this competitor will get release, only hardcore gamer will hear about it, try it and quickly move on and the market that the dev would like to reach will remain completely obvious to it.