General Gaming News.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Seems the city builder game Anno 1800 now got a free trial week for PC and consoles where you get the whole game and keep save data if you do wanna buy it too.

Which although sounds like a damn fine deal, does come with the caveat that it's apparently a DLC heavy game otherwise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seems the city builder game Anno 1800 now got a free trial week for PC and consoles where you get the whole game and keep save data if you do wanna buy it too.

Which although sounds like a damn fine deal, does come with the caveat that it's apparently a DLC heavy game otherwise.
The first hit is free...

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Yes and no, it has a bunch of DLC, but honestly only like one or two actually bring much to the game, the base game is perfectly enjoyable on its own. Most DLC just add a new features (say a special building you can build) but those don't change much. That being said, previous version of Anno are also just as enjoyable (except for 2205, or w/e it was called) and those are cheaper than some of the DLC.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yes and no, it has a bunch of DLC, but honestly only like one or two actually bring much to the game, the base game is perfectly enjoyable on its own. Most DLC just add a new features (say a special building you can build) but those don't change much. That being said, previous version of Anno are also just as enjoyable (except for 2205, or w/e it was called) and those are cheaper than some of the DLC.
Is it a paradox game? Because that sounds like every paradox game out there. Base game is reasonable, but then there's a ton of DLC.

Hell, CK2 is free now but you still have the DLC for sale, if that tells you anything. There's also a subscriber option, where you can play all of the DLC but you pay a subscription fee. Which I guess is fine if you play CK2 all the time and thus will get your moneys worth from it.

Can we get a Gargoyles brawler, bring back Keith David, and anyone else that is still living? Because that would be great. Maybe Street Sharks too. If we're going the whole bring back the TMNT cartoon clones bit. Hell, have Vin Diesel advertise the Street Sharks game, like he did the toys back in the '90s. That'll make everything come full circle. I could use a Xtreme Ghostbusters game too.
Man, I'm kinda shocked Street Sharks hasn't come back considering we got a new Battletoads and new Live Action TMNT movies.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Is it a paradox game? Because that sounds like every paradox game out there. Base game is reasonable, but then there's a ton of DLC.

Hell, CK2 is free now but you still have the DLC for sale, if that tells you anything. There's also a subscriber option, where you can play all of the DLC but you pay a subscription fee. Which I guess is fine if you play CK2 all the time and thus will get your moneys worth from it.

Man, I'm kinda shocked Street Sharks hasn't come back considering we got a new Battletoads and new Live Action TMNT movies.
Or Mummies Alive.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
SC is arguably getting a lot more money then KSP2 ever did to boot.
Well it's not like KSP2 could try selling in-game ships for real money to top up the funding... and I'm sure Private Division considered it before realising that they'd be shooting themselves in the foot while it was in their mouth.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Very similar to paradox, they kinda hit the same demographic of player so ubisoft probably wanted to try the model.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
KSP2, being the follow on, doesn't get the same slack, because KSP as it stands now, should be the baseline of what's expected, especially for $50 and backed by a large publisher. If KSP was the prototype and test model, KSP2 should be ready for full production right out of the gate.
Yeah KSP2 is a real disappointment. It shouldn't have launched until it had a feature set equivalent to KSP with the Breaking Ground DLC. Going through the EA circus again now that it's owned by Private Division (of TakeTwo) seems like a pretty cynical (and greedy) angle to take.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah KSP2 is a real disappointment. It shouldn't have launched until it had a feature set equivalent to KSP with the Breaking Ground DLC. Going through the EA circus again now that it's owned by Private Division (of TakeTwo) seems like a pretty cynical (and greedy) angle to take.
I've heard a lot of speculation that due to Covid and a new dev taking over, production is already late and overbudget(it was apparently supposed to be out in 2020), so PD and TT made this decision to try to recoup costs. Which would have probably been acceptable by most(albeit with some grumbling) if the game wasn't still in alpha, which basically feels the last 3 years must have been something of a shitshow to look like this after being delayed so much.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I've heard a lot of speculation that due to Covid and a new dev taking over, production is already late and overbudget(it was apparently supposed to be out in 2020), so PD and TT made this decision to try to recoup costs. Which would have probably been acceptable by most(albeit with some grumbling) if the game wasn't still in alpha, which basically feels the last 3 years must have been something of a shitshow to look like this after being delayed so much.
And with the lockdowns and WFH it's not like they could have wasted the time productively with an Office Chair Grand Prix circuit and Cardboard Package Tube dueling leagues.*

*many people don't know but if you combine both you get Office Jousting, the Sport of Office Kings

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
And with the lockdowns and WFH it's not like they could have wasted the time productively with an Office Chair Grand Prix circuit and Cardboard Package Tube dueling leagues.*

*many people don't know but if you combine both you get Office Jousting, the Sport of Office Kings
But what about....The Cones of Dunshire?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Fucking booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I saw the trailer last night. Just make a new game, Atlas. Assuming they've even got into pre-production yet for Persona 6, or whatever new title you are doing. The visuals look fine, but it's obviously getting dated now. Plus, the characters look like fanfiction creations or fan art. I don't even know what the story is, because everything was in Japanese or kanji.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Oh fuck you for that. :) I am about to play D4 and heal from the pain of that bullshit.
I actually have an early copy of D4, when you reach the last level and kill diablo for real, you open a portal to "true hell", in it you end up at blizzcon and have to fight off ravenous fan to protect phone guy. But that's only if you're a male character, if you play as a female character it open another portal to "true true hell" and it's just working at blizzard, the game then delete your always online account.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I actually have an early copy of D4, when you reach the last level and kill diablo for real, you open a portal to "true hell", in it you end up at blizzcon and have to fight off ravenous fan to protect phone guy. But that's only if you're a male character, if you play as a female character it open another portal to "true true hell" and it's just working at blizzard, the game then delete your always online account.
Dude that's really dark.