Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Same trash, same global trend by same dipshits.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Do we want to be punishing people who expose wrongdoing under any circumstances?
Well, yes.

We don't want to encourage people to invade others privacy, setting up secret listening devices in meeting rooms and spying on their neighbours for the possibility to potentially find out something incriminating or scandalous.

Nor do we want to encourage people to publish all this information because they found something they personally find offensive.

I mean, in this particular case it is good that the behavior of that shitty sheriff is out in the open. But as a general principle ? No. There should be constraints and limits to private spying and to sharing information you got that way. Thankfully there are.

Think about it : "Doxxing" is usually also just "exposing (perceived) wrongdoing".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, yes.

We don't want to encourage people to invade others privacy, setting up secret listening devices in meeting rooms and spying on their neighbours for the possibility to potentially find out something incriminating or scandalous.

Nor do we want to encourage people to publish all this information because they found something they personally find offensive.

I mean, in this particular case it is good that the behavior of that shitty sheriff is out in the open. But as a general principle ? No. There should be constraints and limits to private spying and to sharing information you got that way. Thankfully there are.

Think about it : "Doxxing" is usually also just "exposing (perceived) wrongdoing".
We're not talking about stuff that people just "personally find offensive"; that obviously should be protected by privacy law. We're talking about serious criminality being exposed here. That's another ballgame.

And doxxing is not necessary to expose it. If its a public figure or company, their identifying information is publicly available anyway, and their actions are of public interest. If its a private citizen, then the recorder can go to the authorities with the evidence.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
We're not talking about stuff that people just "personally find offensive"; that obviously should be protected by privacy law. We're talking about serious criminality being exposed here. That's another ballgame.
Was the initial example not some sheriff and his doing talking racist shit and violent nonsense? While it is certain that such a person should never be handed police authority, was it actually legally a serious crime to talk that way in the land of glorified free speech ? Where is the call for prosecution then ? We are totally talking about "what people personally find offensive". Just because we actually agree does not change that.

And doxxing is not necessary to expose it. If its a public figure or company, their identifying information is publicly available anyway, and their actions are of public interest. If its a private citizen, then the recorder can go to the authorities with the evidence.
Doxxing is usually to tell people who are enraged about something where to find the person responsible. It is usually part of exactly that. Person W (here real name and adress) did X/is part of Y group/ argues Z views.

And yes, there is a difference between how a person of public interest is handled vs someone else. There is a difference between whether the information is about an actual crime vs something just abhorrent and distasteful. And there is certainly a difference between information you coincidently get about your workplace/superiors whatever and stuff you get employing spying methods even the police is not allowed to use. And yes, there is a difference between going to the relevant authority and going public.

That is why i talked about "constraints and limits". So yes, there are circumstances where we should punish people "exposing wrongdoing".
And whistleblower protection, which is important and fine, can coexist with this because it covers far less of a scope.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Was the initial example not some sheriff and his doing talking racist shit and violent nonsense? While it is certain that such a person should never be handed police authority, was it actually legally a serious crime to talk that way in the land of glorified free speech ? Where is the call for prosecution then ? We are totally talking about "what people personally find offensive". Just because we actually agree does not change that.
Lawmakers practicing racial discrimination in the line of duty is indeed illegal, and grounds for dismissal.

Doxxing is usually to tell people who are enraged about something where to find the person responsible. It is usually part of exactly that. Person W (here real name and adress) did X/is part of Y group/ argues Z views.

And yes, there is a difference between how a person of public interest is handled vs someone else. There is a difference between whether the information is about an actual crime vs something just abhorrent and distasteful. And there is certainly a difference between information you coincidently get about your workplace/superiors whatever and stuff you get employing spying methods even the police is not allowed to use. And yes, there is a difference between going to the relevant authority and going public.

That is why i talked about "constraints and limits". So yes, there are circumstances where we should punish people "exposing wrongdoing".
And whistleblower protection, which is important and fine, can coexist with this because it covers far less of a scope.
Right, but nobody here was doxxed. These are public figures whose views are of public interest. So the concern for the impact of doxxing on private individuals is misplaced.

Legitimate public interest trumps the right of public figures to keep shit they say on the job private.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Correct, nobody here was doxxed. The doxxing was about your question :

Do we want to be punishing people who expose wrongdoing under any circumstances?

And i also wrote that i think that in this case it is good that the sheriffs stuff is out in the open. So i agree with your public interest estimation here.
But i don't agree with abolishing all limits to private espionage and publishing other people secrets just because the overall result in this case happened to be good.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Planting bombs to own the libs.
The CIA is gonna sure for copyright infringement.

The Civil War never ended; it just went cold. Because we allowed the enemy to craft a narrative of "states' rights" and "Northern aggression".
#ShermanDidNothingWrong

#JohnBrownLives

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Correct, nobody here was doxxed. The doxxing was about your question :

And i also wrote that i think that in this case it is good that the sheriffs stuff is out in the open. So i agree with your public interest estimation here.
But i don't agree with abolishing all limits to private espionage and publishing other people secrets just because the overall result in this case happened to be good.
Well okay, but I think a more reasonable reading of my post would interpret "wrongdoing" as criminal wrongdoing, and would allow that "any circumstances" don't involve massively hurting people.

Edit: tbh I can see how that wasn't clear, actually.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Stand your ground.
This must be the third case CNN was talking about last night. Of course the fucking coward runs away from his actions. I am glad the father and daughter survived. None of this should have happened at all. Get his sorry ass in the courtroom, now!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Let me know if you figure out a way to avoid advertisements.
I mean I use AdGuard, BypassPaywalls Clean and SponsorBlock on my desktop. On my phone I run Firefox instead of Chrome, specifically so I can use AdGuard with it, and ReVanced Extended for YouTube. Tivo for TV, and just the mute button with streaming services that have ads (because I don't have a better option I've found on my smart TV yet). I...don't see many ads as a consequence. To the point that if I see your ad on the web and I'm not actively searching for you, you're doing something obnoxious enough to make me see it that I am actively going to avoid your product as a consequence.

So we'll still have millions of misguided idiots going around saying "Trump really won in 2020".
We still have people going around saying "Gore really won 2000", so expect to keep hearing about Trump until at least 2040.

Planting bombs to own the libs.
That is just poor strategy. There's a reason why when "the libs" do this kind of thing it's generally just empty threats until the target complies or doesn't - depending on their willingness to shoulder the risk that this time they might not be empty. Threats are much easier to do anonymously than actually planting bombs.

Fucking word salad of a bill

One of the replies to that tweet is defending transpecies as a valid identity. Surprised being transracial wasn't in there too - though I'm also surprised that so many trans folks attack that idea, given that the heart of both is the belief that one does not actually belong to the social category one is assigned at birth and race is even more of an arbitrary social category one is simply assigned to than gender.

was it actually legally a serious crime to talk that way in the land of glorified free speech ?
Probably not, virtually anything shy of incitement to imminent lawless action is protected.

If you could prove they were actually planning a specific crime there might be conspiracy charges, but usually that requires some kind of step to make a crime happen. For example, I could muse that if I wanted to destabilize the US government, the best way would be to bomb the state of the union address and debate about whether or not I'm right on that one all day, but until someone starts doing something about it you're going to have a hard time charging me with conspiracy to commit terrorism.