School shooting at Texas Elementary school, several children reported dead

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

What just fucking happened???
I was going to say something uselessly snarky like "It was the weekend", but most shootings don't tend to make headlines far from the crime unless they are really big or maybe the shooter or victim really young or something. So for all I know, this isn't that unusual for a weekend.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Since this seems the dedicated mass/school shooting thread
Cool, now that shit crossing the Atlantic. Great news for American right wing/pro gun pundits tho, now they have something to point to and go "see, not just here" and probably "wouldn't have happened if they had more guns"

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Since this seems the dedicated mass/school shooting thread
Cool, now that shit crossing the Atlantic. Great news for American right wing/pro gun pundits tho, now they have something to point to and go "see, not just here" and probably "wouldn't have happened if they had more guns"
Honestly, I imagine the ex Yugoslav states probably have a lot of guns.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Honestly, I imagine the ex Yugoslav states probably have a lot of guns.
Exact numbers unknown since most of them are illegal guns left over from the Yugoslav wars, but estimates put Serbia at around 40 guns per 100 people, the top end for the region, alongside Montenegro. And yeah, saw quite a lot in public last time I was there. Mostly for weddings, which would almost invariably involve a motorcade parading through the streets, blasting music and firing into the air.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Up north, near Dallas, there's been another shooting involving children. I've seen the picture being referenced, I don't recommend finding it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Up north, near Dallas, there's been another shooting involving children. I've seen the picture being referenced, I don't recommend finding it.
and unfortunately the people who REALLY need to see those pictures are going to be the ones who ignore them while the rest of us have to look on horrified that the people with the power to do anything about it only have THOUGHTS and PRAYERS to offer up

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
and unfortunately the people who REALLY need to see those pictures are going to be the ones who ignore them
I suspect it's even worse: the people who need to see them are the ones a little too fond of the idea of shooting people.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I suspect it's even worse: the people who need to see them are the ones a little too fond of the idea of shooting people.
Those aren't bothered by mass shootings anyway. They want guns in order to be heroes, because heroes have guns and gun people with their guns. More guns and more shootings means more opportunities to be the heroes gunning with their guns the people who are gunning people with their guns.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Remember a noticeable chunk of modern mass shooters are attempting to live-stream their shootings, 8chan and its ilk have been notorious for allowing those on their platforms. There are a few wiilling audiences to such real-life horror (one of my parents for sure would fall into one of them - the genes do not bode well *awkward lol*) who may not have the plans or intents to do any of it themselves, but do overlap significantly in the Venn diagram of interlinked extreme political beliefs.Though that doesn't take away from the people who may absorb such beliefs through their environment or poor media literacy who perhaps are disturbed or affected by seeing those kinda images enough to contemplate even a glimmer of self-reflection.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Surprising no-one.

The gunman who murdered eight people and wounded seven others at a shopping mall in Allen, Texas, was identified Sunday as a 33-year-old former security guard named Mauricio Garcia whose social media accounts suggested an interest in neo-Nazi ideology.

Garcia, whose family lives in nearby Dallas, was killed by a police officer responding to the carnage at the Allen Premium Outlets on Saturday afternoon. He had been living in a hotel, according to several media outlets, citing law enforcement sources.

The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed the gunman’s identity more than 24 hours after the mass shooting—and a day after FBI agents swooped down on his parents’ home. His family has not commented on the massacre.

It was unclear what connection, if any, Garcia had to the outlet mall and investigators did not publicly indicate a motive for the latest mass shooting to scar the nation’s psyche.

But law enforcement sources said the investigation was focused on extremism.

A patch found on his chest bore the letters “RWDS”—an acronym for Right Wing Death Squad, which has been embraced by white supremacists.

Additionally, two senior law enforcement officials told NBC News that Garcia both consumed and posted neo-Nazi and white supremacist content on the internet.

Garcia was in the U.S. Army in 2008 and was discharged over “mental health concerns,” according to WFAA. No other details were available.

Garcia was wearing a tactical vest and wielding an AR-15 when he opened fire on shoppers; photos of him dead on the ground revealed clips of extra ammunition strapped to his body, and more weapons and ammunition were found in his car.

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, Garcia completed firearm proficiency training in 2018 for his work as a private security officer. He was a commissioned security guard in the state from April 2016 to April 2020, when his license expired. During that time, Garcia’s profile shows that he worked for at least three security companies.

One victim has been identified so far: 20-year-old Christian LaCour, a Farmersville resident who worked as a security guard. LaCour’s death was confirmed by his sister’s mother-in-law in a Facebook post.

“Words can not even begin to describe the devastation that our family feels,” she said in the post. “[There] will forever be a void.”

Allen Mayor Kenneth Fulk acknowledged the shooting in a statement that pledged the city’s “complete support” to the victims and their families. “We know you are grieving, we are grieving,” he said. “Rest assured, the nation and the world are also grieving.”

A vigil at an Allen church will take place Sunday evening to honor the shooting victims.
-

More depressing shit.

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — Police are preparing to arrest the hospitalized driver of an SUV that slammed into a crowd, killing eight people waiting for a bus Sunday outside a migrant shelter in the border city of Brownsville, Texas. At least 10 others were injured, authorities said.

With no bench at the unmarked city bus stop, some of the victims were sitting on the curb around 8:30 a.m. when the driver hit them, surveillance video from the Bishop Enrique San Pedro Ozanam Center showed. Brownsville police investigator Martin Sandoval, who confirmed the latest death Sunday evening, said police did not know whether the collision was intentional.

Shelter director Victor Maldonado said the SUV ran up the curb, flipped and continued moving for about 200 feet (60 meters). Some people walking on the sidewalk about 30 feet (9 meters) from the main group were also hit, Maldonado said. Witnesses detained the driver as he tried to run away and held him until police arrived, he said.

“This SUV, a Range Rover, just ran the light that was about 100 feet (30 meters) away and just went through the people who were sitting there in the bus stop,” said Maldonado, who reviewed the shelter’s surveillance video.

Victims struck by the vehicle were waiting for the bus to return to downtown Brownsville after spending the night at the overnight shelter, said Sister Norma Pimentel, executive director of Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley.

Most of the victims were Venezuelan men, Maldonado said. Brownsville has seen a surge of Venezuelan migrants over the last two weeks for unclear reasons, authorities said. On Thursday, 4,000 of about 6,000 migrants in Border Patrol custody in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley were Venezuelan.

The driver was taken to the hospital for injuries sustained when the car rolled over, Sandoval said. There were no passengers in the car, and police didn’t immediately know the driver’s name or age, Sandoval said Sunday afternoon.

Sandoval said there are three possible explanations for the collision: “It could be intoxication; it could be an accident; or it could be intentional. In order for us to find out exactly what happened, we have to eliminate the other two.

“He’s being very uncooperative at the hospital, but he will be transported to our city jail as soon as he gets released,” Sandoval said. “Then we’ll fingerprint him and (take a) mug shot, and then we can find his true identity.”

Police retrieved a blood sample and sent it to a Texas Department of Public Safety lab to test for intoxicants.

The surge in the number of migrants this week has prompted Brownsville commissioners to indefinitely extend a declaration of emergency during a special meeting Thursday.

“We don’t want them wandering around outside,” Pedro Cardenas, a city commissioner, said Sunday after the crash. “So, we’re trying to make sure they’re as comfortable as they can be so they don’t have to go out and look for anywhere else.”

Brownsville has long been an epicenter for migration across the U.S.-Mexico border, and it has become a key location of interest for next week’s end to pandemic-era border restrictions known as Title 42. The Ozanam shelter is the only overnight shelter in the city and manages the release of thousands of migrants from federal custody.

Maldonado said the center had not received any threats before the crash, but did afterward.

“I’ve had a couple of people come by the gate and tell the security guard that the reason this happened was because of us,” Maldonado said.

About 2,500 migrants have crossed through the river daily into Brownsville in the past few days, Cardenas said. He said the Border Patrol is aware of the city’s capacity of 1,000 at their processing area near the crossing point and a downtown building where city employees and volunteers guide migrants on how to purchase bus or plane tickets to their final destinations. The city is considering expanding services to accommodate needs in the coming days, Cardenas said.

While 80% of people released from federal custody leave the same day, the city’s emergency management official said, a bottleneck has formed over the past few days.

“Most of the people coming across don’t want to stay in Brownsville, but we don’t have enough buses for them to buy their ticket to leave,” Cardenas said. “Some are waiting for family members.”

The Ozanam shelter can hold 250, but many who arrive leave the same day. In the last several weeks, an uptick in border crossings prompted the city to declare an emergency as local, state and federal resources coordinated enforcement and humanitarian response.

“In the last two months, we’ve been getting 250 to 380 a day,” Maldonado said.

While the shelter offers migrants transportation during the week, they also use the city’s public transportation.

Rochelle Garza, president of the Texas Civil Rights Project, said in a statement shared Sunday afternoon: “I hope that today serves as a wake up call, and that state officials will begin investing in a humanitarian response that might have helped the people who were impacted by this morning’s tragedy.”

U.S. Rep. Vicente González said Sunday that local officials are in communication with the federal government about the crash.

“We are all extremely sad and heartbroken to have such a tragedy in our neighborhood,” he said.
The mass shooting tracker site may need to update for the use of vehicles in mass killings at some point too.

Screenshot_20230508-155303.png

(Sorry for the double deppressos. But you did click on the school mass shooting thread, so we have our fair share of the blame between us here)

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
"THIS IS NOT A MOMENT FOR POLITICS. IT SHOULD BE A MOMENT FOR PRAYERS." - Steve Scalise

I change my ritual "it wouldn't have happened if they had more guns" for "it wouldn't have happened if they had prayed enough".

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
"THIS IS NOT A MOMENT FOR POLITICS. IT SHOULD BE A MOMENT FOR PRAYERS." - Steve Scalise
Yes, and as shootings happen basically every day, that means they should never be discussed politically, whilst piety will be at an all time high.

Reactions: Absent

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

I knew the US was bad for gun violence, but that bad?

I actually read an article on BBC news on Mark Bryant, the executive director of the Gun Violence Archive, a week or so ago. He said they had become numb to the whole thing (like most of the rest of the developed world) and despite counting the dead no longer bothers to remember names and is constantly hunting for staff because they can't handle gathering the data.

just looking at the front page, and that seven review summary, I can see why.

Funnily enough he is still pro-gun, albeit loosely.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I change my ritual "it wouldn't have happened if they had more guns" for "it wouldn't have happened if they had prayed enough".
What's to happen politically because the solution isn't some bill or law? The actual problem is cultural and takes lots of work that nobody actually wants to do or discuss.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
What's to happen politically because the solution isn't some bill or law? The actual problem is cultural and takes lots of work that nobody actually wants to do or discuss.
First productive cultural shift would be to start thinking instead of praying.

Evolving past the theocratic mindset would be the first step to -gasp!- question the traditionnal status quo and the sacralization of ancient texts. And start thinking like genuine humans on a genuine planet.

For a change.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
What do you mean?
See, problem solved, and no-one has to give up their shooting spree rights.