General Gaming News.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That Gollum game has seriously done a number on itself. Unanimously considered a new embarrassment. Lessons were learned. Learnt?

Important.

Lessons.

Learnt?

Lessons?? Lemons? Melons? Nolan's? Gollums??

Daedelic, for its part, is currently working to address criticism of its new Gollum game. In a statement shared today, it said it would "like to sincerely applies for the underwhelming experience many of you have had", promising "patches and improvements" to follow.

…Was that, supposed to be an ap…apology? Apologize? Or were they merely applying for permission to do so?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bugs and the graphics aside, I don't know that patches can help them. As the Escapist article even notes, a ton of the critique is on how cookie cutter a ton of the gameplay is, with water switching puzzles and stuff. Like profoundly unsuited to the character and much it in conflict with teh larger narrative its meant to be a part of.

Like why would you try to make Gollum escaping Mordor (which in itself is only apparently the third act, most of its a life sim in the mines of Sauron or something) anything but a stealth game (a la Styx)

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Nintendo, famous lover of throwing their lawyer after anything and everything, is trying to take on steam. This is interesting because technically emulator are fully legal, so valve would probably win this case, but you never know and it might be different in different jurisdiction. On one hand, valve doesn't really get anything for standing up to nintendo, emulator are free so steam gets nothing, on the other hand, nintendo doesn't publish on steam either. My guess is valve will comply just because they don't want to deal with the pita, and anyone who know what dolphin is probably would be able to find it by themselves (I wonder if nintendo ever tried suing google/android for this). Ideal would be if valve would manage to convince nintendo to distribute some game on steam, like sony does, but I highly doubt that'll happen.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
In our series "The Sequels That Better Not Fuck Up",

(A trench run, really ?... "Not so long BUT not long enough"...?? Yeah I have... hm, mixed feelings about that... Even the soundtrack starts great and then becomes less orchestral than sample-loop-draggey... Clumsy stuff, but doesn't extinguish hope and mild anticipation, plus makes me reinstall Desert of Kharak, the one I hadn't finished...)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
In our series "The Sequels That Better Not Fuck Up",

(A trench run, really ?... "Not so long BUT not long enough"...?? Yeah I have... hm, mixed feelings about that... Even the soundtrack starts great and then becomes less orchestral than sample-loop-draggey... Clumsy stuff, but doesn't extinguish hope and mild anticipation, plus makes me reinstall Desert of Kharak, the one I hadn't finished...)
Yeah not crazy about the voice over narration, I really liked the emotionless straitforwardness delivery of the narrator of HW1, no nonsense just straight to the point and trusting the player to understand what's going on. "The subject did not survive the interrogation" is still one of my favourite quote from any video game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah not crazy about the voice over narration, I really liked the emotionless straitforwardness delivery of the narrator of HW1, no nonsense just straight to the point and trusting the player to understand what's going on. "The subject did not survive the interrogation" is still one of my favourite quote from any video game.
That line hits very hard, especially after what you just witnessed. A beatiful example of Less being more in this case.

Well, it wasn't beautiful for the guy being "interrogated".

Reactions: meiam

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Bugs and the graphics aside, I don't know that patches can help them. As the Escapist article even notes, a ton of the critique is on how cookie cutter a ton of the gameplay is, with water switching puzzles and stuff. Like profoundly unsuited to the character and much it in conflict with teh larger narrative its meant to be a part of.

Like why would you try to make Gollum escaping Mordor (which in itself is only apparently the third act, most of its a life sim in the mines of Sauron or something) anything but a stealth game (a la Styx)
Someone said, "Lets make a Gollum game about his escape from Mordor." Then they made it and realized it was only 15 minutes long and they really didnt know what to do from there.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Someone said, "Lets make a Gollum game about his escape from Mordor." Then they made it and realized it was only 15 minutes long and they really didnt know what to do from there.
It's worse when you realize the devs spent months or years on this and that's the best they could come up with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Here we go again
I am not believing anything, until it's official. I'm more so referring to Demon Souls Remake. a PC port of Tsushima I can see happening.

Sucks to be ND right now.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am not believing anything, until it's official. I'm more so referring to Demon Souls Remake. a PC port of Tsushima I can see happening.

Sucks to be ND right now.

We didnt need another live service. So no big lost for this Last Of Us MP game to get flushed tbh.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Sadly, no. It's the name of the Elvish language in the LotR books (which Daedalic wants players to pay extra to unlock in Gollum).
Kinda sad isn't it? The devs are clearly fans enough of the franchise to think that such a feature is worth not only creating but paying money for. They're just apparently really not good devs.