Funny events in anti-woke world

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
In my experience 2 types of nerds got bullied; the genuinely neurodiverse who got singled out because they were "weird" (which funking sucks) and cocky assholes who thought they were smarter and better than everyone. Who thought that everyone better looking, more athleticly gifted and just generally more charismatic than them was actually just really stupid and beneath them.
Bullying can manufacture one category from the other.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Also, again being Fable, you typically start out as just some regular shmuck from a farm, not Mr. or Mrs. Awesome McSexyPants.
Yeah, but even the old farm schmuck's gotta be a hottie, amirite? I mean, randy farmhands and busty milkmaids and all that. What's the point of a computer game if you can't wank off to the characters?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What's the point of a computer game if you can't wank off to the characters?
Absolutely, and I mean it's not like we just had Street Fighter 6 release, right?

And that's the pathetic thing; most videogame characters are still designed for nerds to wack off to, it's just not 100% of them anymore. Now for every 10 Chun-li's, Cammy's, Jill Valentine's, or Ashley Graham's, there's one or two Abby's or whoever this girl in the Fable trailer is. Or Aloy now too, who is also considered ugly on purpose cuz... puddle gate, I guess.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Absolutely, and I mean it's not like we just had Street Fighter 6 release, right?

And that's the pathetic thing; most videogame characters are still designed for nerds to wack off to, it's just not 100% of them anymore. Now for every 10 Chun-li's, Cammy's, Jill Valentine's, or Ashley Graham's, there's one or two Abby's or whoever this girl in the Fable trailer is. Or Aloy now too, who is also considered ugly on purpose cuz... puddle gate, I guess.
Puddlegate 2.0

Oh No, The PS5’s Spider-Man 2 Game Has A Silly ‘Puddlegate’ Controversy (kotaku.com.au)

Also, you guys arent taking into account that wanking develops wrist strength which is important to button mashing on Streetfighter

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

If I remember rightly, even the Starcraft 1 medic had a load of flirty lines, just in case people needed a bit of alternative, uh, "stimulation" to killing zerg.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience 2 types of nerds got bullied; the genuinely neurodiverse who got singled out because they were "weird" (which funking sucks) and cocky assholes who thought they were smarter and better than everyone. Who thought that everyone better looking, more athleticly gifted and just generally more charismatic than them was actually just really stupid and beneath them.
My charitable reading goes something like this.

Many boys are unintentionally taught from a very young age that social motivation is optional. While girls are constantly pushed towards being sociable and defining themselves through their friendships and relationships, boys are allowed and in some cases encouraged to define themselves in terms of interests like sports or games. The general pattern of male friendships tends to assume that boys will bond over these shared interests and thus don't need to develop social motivation outside of them.

But the result of this is that boys have to go through a bit of tonal whiplash during adolescence when they suddenly realize they want to interact with girls but don't have the social skills to do so. Some boys are able to get over this and quickly develop those social skills, or find that they are attractive enough that girls will do most of the work for them, but others never quite manage to grow out of being focused on interests rather than people.

There is generally nothing wrong with these people. If they just had a bit more confidence and threw themselves into more social situations, they would eventually learn the social skills they needed, but instead the message they get is that there is something just fundamentally wrong with them and their interests. After all, they can't get over the idea that socialization is purely a matter of shared interests, so it never crosses their mind that someone might like them or enjoy spending time with them without also liking the same movies or video games or sports (and yes, this does happen with sports too.. sports nerds are still nerds).

I think there's a lot of other stuff involved. I think you're absolutely right in that there is a tendency for extremely mediocre boys to sometimes get the impression they're really smart and deep and interesting and to have a very warped sense of what they deserve. But fundamentally, I think boys aren't pushed hard enough to develop social motivation, and by the time they realize they need it a lot of them will have already internalized (incorrectly) that they're just bad at it.

I was a massive nerd in school, and also very obviously neurodiverse, but I never found myself in that weird culture of social pessimism a lot of nerds seem to fall into, and I credit that to the fact that I wasn't particularly homosocial.

Basically, I feel like a lot of young men learn the lesson of "girls don't like me because of my hobbies" rather than "(most) girls aren't interested in my hobbies and I don't know how to talk about anything else".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwak and BrawlMan

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Many boys are unintentionally taught from a very young age that social motivation is optional.
Later as young adults they start calling it 'introversion' and think of socializing as a chore.
Basically, I feel like a lot of young men learn the lesson of "girls don't like me because of my hobbies" rather than "(most) girls aren't interested in my hobbies and I don't know how to talk about anything else".
weird culture of social pessimism a lot of nerds seem to fall into
While anecdotal (personal experience and Reddit threads), I find people are quick to resort to believing very optimistic things about social relationships ("just be yourself" or "get better friends", for example) and that can leave somebody jaded if it doesn't work out at all.

Reactions: Kwak

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016

Why are so many gamers really down with outing themselves as just the biggest virgin weirdos all the damn time?
Has little to do with "gamers". Gamers seem to be willing to buy and play games like Forbidden West just fine and will likely buy Fable as well. There is not a single game out there that has tanked specifically for having a female protagonist.

It is those same kind of stupid culture warriors descending on every other kind of pop culture as well, no matter whether they actually use it or not.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Has little to do with "gamers". Gamers seem to be willing to buy and play games like Forbidden West just fine and will likely buy Fable as well. There is not a single game out there that has tanked specifically for having a female protagonist.

It is those same kind of stupid culture warriors descending on every other kind of pop culture as well, no matter whether they actually use it or not.
Look, I'm not necessarily disagreeing but I would assume that most of the people whinging about female protagonists wouldnt actually buy the game. I know people who complained about Captain Janeway and have never watched Star Trek again. So I could imagine they do what they say....

It's just not that big of a group

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The reaction to the new Fable game would be a case of a funny event in anti woke world. I didn't think there was much controversial to see but apparently far righters got a panic attack regarding the main character. They're convinced that wokeness has infiltrated fable and they went out of their way to make the new main character hidieous. This despite the main character....not being ugly. She's quite cute actually but then you get some alt right youtuber frothing at the mouth and going on a long rand about how woke devs ''just can't help themselves putting ideological messages in their games''

I mean....I guess the main character is a little plain but hardly some hideous troll. In fact she's more plan in a sort of cute outdoors kind of gall sort of way.