Your video game hot take(s) thread

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
On the other hand I AM TELLING YOU TO PLAY SHADOWS OF DOUBT BUT NOBODY EVER LISTENS TO ME.
Fine fine, next discount I'll grab it. Although I watched a bit of a playtrough, its a bit disappointing that the moment you catch one killer a new one materialize. I think it would be better if there was one large scheme that wasn't crackable at the beginning and so you'd need to built up gear/connection before you could tackle it, and you'd do that by catching smaller crime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To be fair to Squaresoft, they were on the edge of going out of business when they developed Final Fantasy, so it might have been final for them.

Capcom had no such excuse with Final Fight, though.
To be extra fair, Capcom only has five Final Fight games. StreetWise does not count. To take it even further, they technically have seven of them. World Tour mode is basically Final Fight 4. Captain Commando (takes place during the 2020s in Metro City) was the actual Final Fight 2 for a time. So it's 5(?) now. God Hand is considered a better 3D FFi game than you know what. There's a lease 10 references to the franchise in that game.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Non profits are just handy tax avoidance schemes for capitalists,
Cool. I was wondering what I was doing of my days. Now I have meaning.

Also corporations are not people. They cannot be bad guys or good guys or ugly guys.
Oddly, i was about to argue the opposite : corporation-baddies don't bother me there precisely because, in the cyberpunk premise, they "are" people. They are the actors, the characters, the "sides". They are both the organized crime networks (in the sense that real life mafias are just unregulated over-capitalistic systems, so in unregulated cyberpunk they're basically legal) and the rogue states (in the sense that cyberpunk corporations replace nations). Just like nowadays everything, from games to music to films to books to letters, newspapers, cameras, etc, is a smartphone, in the cyberpunk universe almost everything, any baddie entity (cult, state, criminal organisation, etc) is a corporation. Individuals hardly have the required agency. The very premise is : corporate wars. Just like ancient Greece epics always come down to warring gods.

But still, shadows of doubt exists, and brings back the capitalist hell to the individual level, Costa-Gavras-like.

Anyway, the thing annoys me in other settings though. Like, in modern settings, if there is a mutant power, it's of course the product of or/and hunted by an evil corporation's evil secret evil research evil department, because it's the idea on the top of the pile. I'm really tired of corporate super secret labs and nonsensical experiments, à la Resident Evil, Stranger Things, The Boys, etc. Mostly because of predictability, partly because the "profit" angle is so often too weak an excuse for the plot baddies (in practice, Weyland-Yutani is more a Secret Alien Cult than a greedy corporation). But cyberpunk settings are the places where it feels the most natural.

Fine fine, next discount I'll grab it. Although I watched a bit of a playtrough, its a bit disappointing that the moment you catch one killer a new one materialize. I think it would be better if there was one large scheme that wasn't crackable at the beginning and so you'd need to built up gear/connection before you could tackle it, and you'd do that by catching smaller crime.
Well, if there was a large scheme, you'd probably end up with evil corporate shenanigans. But again, it's Early Access, and I expect more variety of crimes in the future (next update is called "cheat and liars"), with hopefully more interconnected plots at some point.

Still, for now, it's a baddie-of-the-week procedural, old school with no season arc. You're a mere Derrick/Maigret/Monk/Columbo catching ordinary murderers, petty criminals, serial killers. Once you lock one up, life goes on, and other crimes happen. It feels natural, organic. A living city filled with little dramas. And a gumshoe detective treating it as routine. It feels part of the atmosphere. And I like stories where the world is not at stake.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

The game sucks, everyone looks the same, and I bet it would have bullet sponges or mook enemies that out damage the player somehow.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Baldurs Gate was a mechanically awkward overlong game. With a throughline story so bad that even the canon D&D guys that had the game made basically retconned it out of existence, and the guys making the game tried their best to ignore it for the entirety of the second one before turning in a "homework on the bus" level expansion to finish it.

(Yeah I don't really get the hype for anything anchored to being a sequel to it)

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Baldurs Gate was a mechanically awkward overlong game. With a throughline story so bad that even the canon D&D guys that had the game made basically retconned it out of existence, and the guys making the game tried their best to ignore it for the entirety of the second one before turning in a "homework on the bus" level expansion to finish it.

(Yeah I don't really get the hype for anything anchored to being a sequel to it)
Baldurs gate 2 is really what people have fond memory of.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Baldurs gate 2 is really what people have fond memory of.
Eh, Irenicus was reasonably complex (by videogame standards) and had a cool VA. The game was still all the weird jank of trying to adapt 2.0 D&D to real time combat. The party roster was a mishmash between some decent and some following Bioware's trend of writing what I'd describe as the "annoying person at the table who has to play the most fan-ficcy character possible" (something they oddly managed to continue even in their own universes).

And like a middle third of it was an oddly random sidetrack through the Underdark, because we gotta stick Drow (and by extension Drizzt) in every FR property.

Nonetheless though, if BG2 is the good anchor point, then wanting BG3 is like wanting a new Metal Gear Solid because you liked playing as Raiden.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Eh, Irenicus was reasonably complex (by videogame standards) and had a cool VA. The game was still all the weird jank of trying to adapt 2.0 D&D to real time combat. The party roster was a mishmash between some decent and some following Bioware's trend of writing what I'd describe as the "annoying person at the table who has to play the most fan-ficcy character possible" (something they oddly managed to continue even in their own universes).

And like a middle third of it was an oddly random sidetrack through the Underdark, because we gotta stick Drow (and by extension Drizzt) in every FR property.

Nonetheless though, if BG2 is the good anchor point, then wanting BG3 is like wanting a new Metal Gear Solid because you liked playing as Raiden.
Well, since this is the hot take thread. I preferred the Icewind Dale games to the Baldur's Gate games. It is hard to put into words, but to me Baldur's Gate felt like playing through someone else's D&D game, with characters they created. Icewind Dale let ME craft the characters. It felt more like a D&D experience.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Link really looks like a girl in BotW. I put him in the Hylian Hood (with the soldier armor because it looks cool), and I keep forgetting that Link is supposed to be a boy.

You see, I though Link looked like a girl in BotW when he actually goes in drag and covers his lower face with a veil. Actually kind of sad the Gerudo vai outfit didn't make TotK. It was always fun to undermine serious moments by having Link show up looking fabulous.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The Resident Evil 4 remake didn't really change Leon and Ada's relationship. Leon has always been somewhat guarded and even annoyed whenever Ada shows up, and most of the flirting between the two is on her end (whether you think it's genuine or not is another story). Even in RE6, he refuses to go after her despite being encouraged by Helena. Leon is not and never has been a pathetic lovesick puppy who does nothing but chase after Ada; they have their own lives and missions independent of each other, and Leon's been in one game, two movies and a miniseries where Ada wasn't even mentioned.

Both pro and antis of the relationship kind of misunderstand the both of them, the latter arguably more than the former.

The Midway Era of Mortal Kombat suffers a lot of historical revisionism. For one thing, Kenshi was not the only character from that era that fans liked.

Devil May Cry 5 unintentionally proved Tameem Antoniades' comments about the series' depiction of women right. And Capcom, it's been 20 years since DMC 2, it wouldn't kill you to more directly acknowledge it or bring Lucia back in a main game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Devil May Cry 5 unintentionally proved Tameem Antoniades' comments about the series' depiction of women right. And Capcom, it's been 20 years since DMC 2, it wouldn't kill you to more directly acknowledge it or bring Lucia back in a main game.
You have your point, and while I do miss Lucia, Tameem and Ninja Theory's didn't exactly handle women good at all either. In fact, they still handled female characters the worst. Keep in mind, I like Kat, but she got shafted pretty hard too. Don't even get me started on what happened with Lilith. I know she's a villain and everything, but she didn't deserve that.

I'll give Team Ninja/KT credit with the Ninja Gaiden franchise. At least the updates to later sequels allowed you to play as other female characters, regardless of that anything to do with the story or not. Ayane, Rachel, Momiji, and even Kasumi became playable in Razor's Edge. Capcom has no excuses not to try. You had Trish and lady playable, in the update to DMC4. They could have easily done the same for the fifth entry.

The Midway Era of Mortal Kombat suffers a lot of historical revisionism. For one thing, Kenshi was not the only character from that era that fans liked.
The only reason that there's a lot of history revisionism, is because you got idiots that are insecure or don't want to admit that they liked more than one character in Deadly Alliance or Deception. That era of MK I wasn't too big on, but I preferred Deception, because they brought back stage fatalities, and have a lot of bonuses in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
You have your point, and while I do miss Lucia, Tameem and Ninja Theory's didn't exactly handle women good at all either. In fact, they still handled female characters the worst. Keep in mind, I like Kat, but she got shafted pretty hard too. Don't even get me started on what happened with Lilith. I know she's a villain and everything, but she didn't deserve that.

I'll give Team Ninja/KT credit with the Ninja Gaiden franchise. At least the updates to later sequels allowed you to play as other female characters, regardless of that anything to do with the story or not. Ayane, Rachel, Momiji, and even Kasumi became playable in Razor's Edge. Capcom has no excuses not to try. You had Trish and lady playable, in the update to DMC4. They could have easily done the same for the fifth entry.

The only reason that there's a lot of history revisionism, is because you got idiots that are insecure or don't want to admit that they liked more than one character in Deadly Alliance or Deception. That era of MK I wasn't too big on, but I preferred Deception, because he brought backstage fatalities, and had a lot of bonuses in the game.
I’ve never heard about Kenshi being considered the golden boy either back then or in hindsight. There’s plenty of other characters That fans have always wanted. I think with Kenshi it’s just that he wasn’t overplayed/overexposed nearly as much as most of the others.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Link really looks like a girl in BotW. I put him in the Hylian Hood (with the soldier armor because it looks cool), and I keep forgetting that Link is supposed to be a boy.

That's a hot take? Even Nintendo admitted to making him look androgynous. You can wear a sexy blue top with exposed shoulders and an open back in Tears of the Kingdom - Link is canonically one hell of a femboy.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I’ve never heard about Kenshi being considered the golden boy either back then or in hindsight. There’s plenty of other characters That fans have always wanted. I think with Kenshi it’s just that he wasn’t overplayed/overexposed nearly as much as most of the others.
He was one of three characters introduced in the PS2 era to appear in every MK game. He was also featured in two of the reboot era games and is already confirmed for the upcoming game.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
That's a hot take? Even Nintendo admitted to making him look androgynous. You can wear a sexy blue top with exposed shoulders and an open back in Tears of the Kingdom - Link is canonically one hell of a femboy.
Also most non-players writing illustrated articles on the franchise presented him as "zelda".

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The Resident Evil 4 remake didn't really change Leon and Ada's relationship. Leon has always been somewhat guarded and even annoyed whenever Ada shows up, and most of the flirting between the two is on her end (whether you think it's genuine or not is another story). Even in RE6, he refuses to go after her despite being encouraged by Helena. Leon is not and never has been a pathetic lovesick puppy who does nothing but chase after Ada; they have their own lives and missions independent of each other, and Leon's been in one game, two movies and a miniseries where Ada wasn't even mentioned.

Both pro and antis of the relationship kind of misunderstand the both of them, the latter arguably more than the former.

My impression of Leon's feelings with Ada is that he thinks she could go from a "bad girl" to a "good girl" but while he holds a torch for her, he's not running around looking for her in the dark.

As for DMC's depictions of women... I'm confused? Lucia is in DMC 2 and even her mom is pretty cool. DMC 3 has Lady and she was pretty badass and non sexualized (Unless I'm forgetting something). We didn't get any real "cheesecake" until DMC 4.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
My impression of Leon's feelings with Ada is that he thinks she could go from a "bad girl" to a "good girl" but while he holds a torch for her, he's not running around looking for her in the dark.
Yeah, I more or less feel the same. It's basically a more casual (for lack of a better term) version of Batman and Catwoman.

I think the idea of Leon being obsessed with Ada is a symptom of the fandom's need to infantilize him.

As for DMC's depictions of women... I'm confused? Lucia is in DMC 2 and even her mom is pretty cool. DMC 3 has Lady and she was pretty badass and non sexualized (Unless I'm forgetting something). We didn't get any real "cheesecake" until DMC 4.
To elaborate, the DMC series isn't all bad when it comes to female characters. Trish's arc in DMC 1 is a bit underdeveloped and I'd say 2 is a step in the right direction when writing female characters. But Lady in 3 seems to be their peak. Enough jokes have been made about Kyrie being the kind of bland damsel in distress that Peach is often mistaken for always being. The fandom basically had to create memes about her having a fetish for Nero's demon form just to make her more interesting than what we got in the games. The issues of Trish and Lady's designs in 4 are obvious but there is the fact they contribute little to nothing of value. Lady just tells Dante about the Order being possibly malicious with little evidence to back up her claims and Trish actually helps the villains by giving them the Sparda sword.

And then DMC 5 doubles down on the problems with 4 by having Lady and Trish reduced to jobbers who get captured, stripped naked and used as living batteries for demons and Kyrie not even appearing on screen. Nico basically wins the status of "best girl" in that game by virtue of being the only female character who does something useful while having a fleshed out personality. She's great but it would be nice if she weren't the only female character handled competently.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

Oh, the Ninja Theory game has its own issues with female characters as well. I'm not quite sure if it's worse than 4 and 5, though. I'd put it on par with 5, if not a few notches below and slightly above 4.

Basically when it comes to women, 2, the anime and 3 are great, 4, reboot and 5 are awful, and 1 is a mixed bag, skewing slightly better.