Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nice analysis from video from vaati

He does bring a good point that the enemy attack seems more soul like in that they are very telegraph with a window to avoid. This makes me worried that the quick boots, which in previous AC was only used to move, will now have an i-frame component like the soul game and it won't be about avoiding attack, rather it'll just be about timing your i-frame.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
He does bring a good point that the enemy attack seems more soul like in that they are very telegraph with a window to avoid. This makes me worried that the quick boots, which in previous AC was only used to move, will now have an i-frame component like the soul game and it won't be about avoiding attack, rather it'll just be about timing your i-frame.
Watching the trailer again, I've noticed a few things...

Yes, I think there will be a semblance of Souls-style gameplay here, given the speed you move around targets without quick boosting and the way the camera follows targets the AC moves around. However, I think that this will likely only be in moments of 1-on-1 combat. Looking at situations with multiple targets, the game seems to handle as you'd expect in past Armored Core titles.

Further to this, as soon as boosting is involved, especially forward boosting to close the distance, the way combat is handled seems to shift slightly in terms of attack options and how you manoeuvre around to get into a good position to strike.

Another little thing I noticed came from the video linked previously... a quote suggesting that the game will be closer to Armored Core 3 and 5's movement speed, with moments taking it to 4's pace. Looking at those movement speeds... an in-between seems preeeetty spot on for something that can fit a Souls style pace in combat.

To me, it seems like we'll get a healthy dose of both blended together in a nice frappe

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Watching the trailer again, I've noticed a few things...

Yes, I think there will be a semblance of Souls-style gameplay here, given the speed you move around targets without quick boosting and the way the camera follows targets the AC moves around. However, I think that this will likely only be in moments of 1-on-1 combat. Looking at situations with multiple targets, the game seems to handle as you'd expect in past Armored Core titles.

Further to this, as soon as boosting is involved, especially forward boosting to close the distance, the way combat is handled seems to shift slightly in terms of attack options and how you manoeuvre around to get into a good position to strike.

Another little thing I noticed came from the video linked previously... a quote suggesting that the game will be closer to Armored Core 3 and 5's movement speed, with moments taking it to 4's pace. Looking at those movement speeds... an in-between seems preeeetty spot on for something that can fit a Souls style pace in combat.

To me, it seems like we'll get a healthy dose of both blended together in a nice frappe
I'm fined with soul soul like element, I just don't want everything to just devolve into i-frame timing, where it literally doesn't matter what the enemy attack is, and then to increase the difficulty they have enemy have weird non sense telegraph with weird pause in there attack animation.

We haven't seen anything about energy management which is going to be the other big unknown, but considering the soul franchise has been heading toward stamina being near infinite, I'm guessing it won't be a big part of AC6.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think this has moved up to the top of my most-anticipated game.
I have never played an Armored Core.
But... look at it! I wanna robot 'splosions!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think this has moved up to the top of my most-anticipated game.
I have never played an Armored Core.
But... look at it! I wanna robot 'splosions!
If you want robotic splosions while waiting on that, play this:

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Looks nice, few comments:

They mention the game reboot the story, but most armored core did that so that's not a surprise.

Few shoots of the mech assembly, it seems like this is going to be true to previous version, with both weight limit and energy capacity. Total part list seems a bit trimmed from some release, with no radiator, shoulder attachment or other booster (over boost/side boost) but that's not a big deal.

Speed really seem closer to 3 but with the quick boost from 4, sadly no UI from the demo so can't judge what energy use will look like but it seems pretty liberal.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
This looks like really, really good fun. Fast and visceral, full of customisation, and with enemies of both the traditional Armored Core "welcome to weapons range fuckboy" style, as well as some things that are more telegraphed and reactable. Also looks like you can be very aggressive from neutral, which is good - I liked Elden Ring but there was a bit too much "wait for the enemy to be safe to attack" in some of the bosses. Also like that the levels are levels rather than the empty voids they were in Armored Core 4 and For Answer, but have meaningful vertical traversal unlike in Armored Core V.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
For real.. this actually my most hype game of the year. I was afraid with all the projectiles I'd get confused but seeing the bit of footage that come out, it looks more reasonable. Like maybe we can actually read the projectiles as attacks, not some bullcrap like in some other game. Hard to describe what I mean but, I dunno, I was able to "understand" what I was seeing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, yeah, day one. I swear this is the most expensive year on record for games for me.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ugh, yeah, day one. I swear this is the most expensive year on record for games for me.
I really wanted to get the collector with figurine, but they only sell it on bandai official website and they charge way too much for shipping (and its pretty pricy) hopefully bandai namco, maker of bandai gundam figurine, will be able to put two and two together and make some cool kits of them.

Anyway, you can pre order it for about 15% off if you want to buy it day one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really wanted to get the collector with figurine, but they only sell it on bandai official website and they charge way too much for shipping (and its pretty pricy) hopefully bandai namco, maker of bandai gundam figurine, will be able to put two and two together and make some cool kits of them.

Anyway, you can pre order it for about 15% off if you want to buy it day one.
The collectors is damn tempting, or it would be if it wasn't like $500.

I don't see that 15% off on steam.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
I never played an AC game but the way people described them I expected more pew pew aiming stuff. But this just looks like souls combat with artificial range. Didn't expect to see their archaic lock on system in a ranged game too.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I never played an AC game but the way people described them I expected more pew pew aiming stuff. But this just looks like souls combat with artificial range. Didn't expect to see their archaic lock on system in a ranged game too.
They've clearly rejigged the gameplay significantly compared to previous generations, apparently in a more Souls-y direction. Prior games had more of a focus on aiming, although aiming in Armored core was a matter of keeping targets on screen and in range in front of you. That's not to say it was easy while also wrestling with the often insane controls to avoid enemy attacks at the same time.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
They've clearly rejigged the gameplay significantly compared to previous generations, apparently in a more Souls-y direction. Prior games had more of a focus on aiming, although aiming in Armored core was a matter of keeping targets on screen and in range in front of you. That's not to say it was easy while also wrestling with the often insane controls to avoid enemy attacks at the same time.
I see, so it is different than the old ones. I wonder if they felt pressure because of the...uh...passionate souls community so they made it more like those games.
Anything you're willing to share about the story/lore or point me to a good source on the subject?