What are you currently playing?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Well I found a collection of games on a phyiscal CD disc in my closet, and the first game that was in the top was Roller Coaster Tycoon. I had to check it out again

The game is still fun, but it's reawakening that psychotic child version of me; I'm constantly drowning people, trapping them in endless loop, create faulty rides to kill the visitors on purpose, and have the mascots dance around where they died.

Send help

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well I found a collection of games on a phyiscal CD disc in my closet, and the first game that was in the top was Roller Coaster Tycoon. I had to check it out again

The game is still fun, but it's reawakening that psychotic child version of me; I'm constantly drowning people, trapping them in endless loop, create faulty rides to kill the visitors on purpose, and have the mascots dance around where they died.

Send help
Mr. bone wild ride never end.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Mr. bone wild ride never end.
It's been a long time since I've thought about Mr Bones' Wild Ride.

I have played RCT myself, but it was a long time ago, back when you could get game discs in cereal boxes. I spent a lot of time playing Age of Empires 1 and RCT1, but I never really got the hang of the former. As for the latter, it's the only management game I've ever had anything like a handle on, though I haven't played it again in a long time.

As for what I actually am playing, I decided it'd be a good time to start another playthrough of Earthbound. Finished the first town and I've gotten the Pencil Eraser, which is a device that can completely erase from existence anything shaped like a pencil.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Send help
Not the same game but you might appreciate this.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Burnhouse Lane.
From same Devs of The Cat Lady. Is kinda The Cat Lady 2. The Devs even say as much in the opening messages. Along with a frank "uhh, before you go, we're just 2 people with nowt left for marketing budget...wouldn't mind picking up the slack a bit for us there would ya fella?" *Fond or condescending (fondescending??) pat on the shoulder* So, ok, seems to continue the eerily familiar tones of destitute consuming depression only the first game succeeded at, the feeling of hitting far closer to home than ever expected. Limb animation is a bit of a goofy puppet show at times: the first cat especially scared the baffled shite out of me with whatever game-and-watch style fit it had as it bounced maniacally out of screen. Got a growing suspicion Salad Fingers may not be in this rendition however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
It was janky at the time, nothing to do with age. It's just part of the charm.
Yeah, I don't even notice it after a while hehe
I do not deem it an RPG actually, is far more Devil May Cry than it is Dragon Age: Origins (but maybe I think that cuz I always focus on melee and just hire sorceress pawns)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played some Final Vendetta last night. Just a normal arcade run, and I did Boss Rush a couple times.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
Tried Dave the Diver because all the reviews claim it's "relaxing" and "chill." Only to find a slew of QTEs, timers, and restrictions. The art suggests a chill game but the gameplay is anything but.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Send help
So in others words, standard practice for the tycoon persona. Hey, they made it possible for a reason!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Finished the City that Never Sleeps DLCs for Spider-Man (2018).

Its not nearly as good as the main story, though there are a few bright spots. Black Cat is interesting, but sadly doesn't stick around enough to be fleshed out. Yuri Watanabe's arc is great in DLCs 2 and 3, and im excited to explore this further in Spider-Man 2. Silver Sable returns in DLC 3, and she is actually pretty cool to be around.

The weak link though, is the villain - Hammerhead.

Its pretty bizarre to me that the base game does such a fantastic job with Mister Negative and Doctor Octopus, but then the DLC comes out with Hammerhead, who is just a big bleh of a character. Zero personality, and basically just an antagonistic force who shows up every now and again to fight you. There is zero emotional investment from anyone in this conflict, so it just kind of fell flat.

Not really one that I would recommend, though Episode 3 probably has a few plot points that will tie into Spider-Man 2.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I played a bit more since when I last left off, and my opinion of things has actually gone up a bit, as:

-So, Askr gives the laydown on the nature of the world. I may be forgetting/misinterpreting some details, but basically, Askr and Embla are dual entites, creators (or at least patrons of) Midgard/Zenith. While not outright stated, it's implied that Askr allowed his people to be far more open and carefree, while Embla preferred order, conformity, etc. Hence, when some of her people went to Askr's land, she felt betrayed, closed herself off, fell into bitterness, etc. This duality between the two deities is seen everywhere in the setting, as in:

Askr: Openness, Askrans are able to open dimensional gateways, associated with light.

Embla: Closed off, darkness, Emblans able to closed dimensional gateways, associated with darkness

So, yeah. It's not really the most in-depth god backstory in the world, but it does move beyond "Askr good, Embla evil," which is what was previously implied. When Embla's actions are put in the context of her lashing out rather than some inherent malignance, when the curse on the Emblan royal family can be attributed to her grief in a sense, it does mitigate things somewhat.

-I already said before that Askr is a better character than Ash, and so far, that mostly remains true. It's revealed the Askr is dying, that he's been dying ever since he intervened to save the protagonists from Embla's darkness (would the same thing happen to her if she stepped into his light?), but his jovial self has been covering that. Has a nice moment with Ash at the end of his life, but that's not enough to sway how I feel about Ash, namely that she's just boring.

-Still, while Ash has the sin of being boring, Elm has the deadly sin of being a waste of space. Elm has basically failed at every attempt to waylay the protagonists. Every. Time. I know that's a charge that can be put at the feet of other villains in this game (heck, in fiction, period), but there's something about Elm that irritates me more than usual here. I think the reason might be is that Ash is the retainer to a goddess, who transforms into a giant bat to attack, who by all rights should be someone to be feared, but has failed at every single turn. Previous antagonists in Heroes at least have prior victories to their name (e.g. Muspel), Elm doesn't even manage that. That, and Letizia was just a better antagonist in terms of character, achievements, etc.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finished FF16, been playing a bit of online SF6 and training but my interest has dropped the harder I try. The actual feeling of how much effort and dedication it would take for me to actually get halfway decent overwhelmed and I think I don't wanna bother.

So I was browsing the PS5 store and I came across a bunch of demos so I just started installing those and I'll be going through them during this long weekend.
The two I'm most interested in are for sure are Viewfinder and Lies of P.
Lies of P is gonna be on Gamepass which I'll re-sub for in the fall for Starfield so I don't really need the demo but, you know, might as well. Viewfinder just looks so cool.

Jun 12, 2023
Viewfinder is a game that I also enjoy, and there are several reasons why it captivates me. the stunning visuals and attention to detail create a visually stunning world that enhances the overall gaming experience.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Interesting thoughts. Could you provide your opinions of the massively successful Destiny 2 and pop culture technical showcase of GTAV? I would greatly like to know if you have any links to help me understand too.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Started marvel midnight sun, which is an excellent firaxis game buried under a mediocre marvel game. The combat system is great and its a good mix of a card game and XCOM. But yeesh the marvel stuff. So first, despite having all kind of well known heroes in its marketing, this is about the midnight sun first and foremost, which are so unknown most people don't realize that the game title is about them rather than just a vague title. So I imagine they tie in to one of the half a millions show marvel has so they constantly reference stuff that most people have no idea what they are. But the problem is that they're painfully uninteresting, they feel like they were dreamed up by a bunch marketing people. Some of the other heroes stuff is also kinda awkward, I don't read/watch much heroes show but I get the feeling captain marvel is really disliked by the community because everytime she's on screen character seems to fall over themselves to praise her and talk about how incredibly strong she is, but when any of the actually popular heroes are talked about, its constant marvel quips and friendly insults.

The story also does something that I really hate, one of the first fight you do is painfully easy, most people will get trough it without losing a single HP, but then your character lose in a cutscene and from then on peoples just keep dunking on you for that. This doesn't work, I don't feel like I lost that fight, I just feel resentment for the other character for blaming someone else failure on me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
Started marvel midnight sun, which is an excellent firaxis game buried under a mediocre marvel game. The combat system is great and its a good mix of a card game and XCOM. But yeesh the marvel stuff. So first, despite having all kind of well known heroes in its marketing, this is about the midnight sun first and foremost, which are so unknown most people don't realize that the game title is about them rather than just a vague title. So I imagine they tie in to one of the half a millions show marvel has so they constantly reference stuff that most people have no idea what they are. But the problem is that they're painfully uninteresting, they feel like they were dreamed up by a bunch marketing people. Some of the other heroes stuff is also kinda awkward, I don't read/watch much heroes show but I get the feeling captain marvel is really disliked by the community because everytime she's on screen character seems to fall over themselves to praise her and talk about how incredibly strong she is, but when any of the actually popular heroes are talked about, its constant marvel quips and friendly insults.

The story also does something that I really hate, one of the first fight you do is painfully easy, most people will get trough it without losing a single HP, but then your character lose in a cutscene and from then on peoples just keep dunking on you for that. This doesn't work, I don't feel like I lost that fight, I just feel resentment for the other character for blaming someone else failure on me.
Oh. I actually know quite a bit of Marvel stuff and even I thought it was just a title...bummer.

Captain Marvel is a topic best avoided.

Same, hate that. Especially if it's a really tough fight and you manage to survive only for the cutscene to go "Nah." That said, this is the first time Firaxis has made a game with a story so let's cut'em some slack.

It's been on my list for a while now but I've yet to pull the trigger. Adding Storm as a DLC was a sneaky move, as well, because everyone adores her.

Is 2k still insisting on their horrible launcher as well?

Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

My brother liked it enough, but I don't see myself playing it any time soon. I rather just go through Ultimate Alliance 3.

I did a playthrough of the arcade game, Zero Team again. Decent brawler, but it does have the trouble of old Final Fight clones. You're characters can't run or dash, but certain bosses and enemies can. At least the players get decent move sets and there is huge weapon variety. You can even take boss's weapon or broken armor and throw it right back at them! I won't be back on this game for a long while, but I recommend people play at least once, if they're old-school brawler fans. I did some DmC and DMC5 last night. Some SOR4 the previous night as well! I might do some arcade runs of SF6 tonight.

Reactions: meiam

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Oh. I actually know quite a bit of Marvel stuff and even I thought it was just a title...bummer.

Captain Marvel is a topic best avoided.

Same, hate that. Especially if it's a really tough fight and you manage to survive only for the cutscene to go "Nah." That said, this is the first time Firaxis has made a game with a story so let's cut'em some slack.

It's been on my list for a while now but I've yet to pull the trigger. Adding Storm as a DLC was a sneaky move, as well, because everyone adores her.

Is 2k still insisting on their horrible launcher as well?
I think there was a launcher but didn't really have any problem with it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Just did a first run of Final Vendetta, which was recommended to me in the Steam sale thread by @BrawlMan. Played on Hard (which appears to be the 'normal' difficulty, and that's entirely appropriate - I'll get to that), using Duke (chosen at random), and made it to 6-2 before falling out.

Thoughts:

-So, Streets of Rage 4 was a pretty good game. This may not sound relevant, but I'll be coming back to this point.

-Final Vendetta feels like the really old-school, quarter-stealing type of games, and the biggest reason for that IMO is that it's pretty stingy with resources like food and weapons. Even the original Final Fight gave you more to work with, and that game wanted you to die as many times as possible so that you'd need to spend 12 credits ($3 at that time, closer to $24 now) in order to finish it.

-Another thing that reminds me of those old-school brawlers is that when an enemy decides they want to hit you, you're getting hit whether you like it or not. Between their attacks coming out too quickly to react to, having crazy priority (it feels) over your attacks and even grapples, and the aforementioned lack of weapons to outrange them or food to recover from their attacks, you're stuck in a war of attrition that you're probably going to lose. Even with blocking and dodging, you still have to be psychic to be able to not take damage from attacks, just like in Final Fight. And I remember a lot of people looking down on Streets of Rage 4's lack of blocking and dodging at the time it came out, but that game's designed so that you don't ever need to block or sidestep to avoid taking damage. Enemies telegraph their attacks fairly, and you get plenty of resources to get the better of them with. And since I'm used to games in this genre not giving you a block button, I'm not used to how Final Vendetta seems to want me to hold block all the time by default. (Except for all the enemies whose attacks can't be blocked, or the ones who attack you from behind, naturally.)

-The worst part of the game is in the third level, where it pops up a warning symbol and a siren... right as you get run over by barrels from the right side of the screen. You can't not be on the right side of the screen to advance it, so there's no way you can react to it in time. The only way to react to those barrels is to have played the game enough times that you know exactly when they'll appear, so that you can already be jumping when it happens. It does this multiple times, and none of them can be fairly dodged on reaction. "Hee hee hee! Free damage for me! Om nom nom nom nom nom nom!" What makes it even more unforgivable is that the later levels pull out the same warning siren for environmental hazards... that it actually is possible to dodge on reaction. Meaning the devs were able to do it that way, they just didn't feel like it in Stage 3's case.

-I also have no idea if the game drops inputs or if there's something I'm doing wrong, but sometimes I press the attack button and no attack comes out, especially when I'm jumping. And speaking of moves, the movelist feels fairly limited despite the addition of a second attack button that only occasionally does things, and the game doesn't feel bothered to explain when it can do things outside of one case (edit: found the manual, which does explain all the possible moves, at least). And when I'm grappling enemies, my character feels pretty happy to just let go of them when I don't want him to, and I'm not sure what inputs he's basing that decision on.

-Final Vendetta does do one thing differently from everybody else: no continues. If you get a game over, it's right back to the beginning for you. This, I feel, is unnecessarily cruel even for trying to evoke the feeling of playing a game like Final Fight. Sure, Streets of Rage 4's arcade mode also has no continues, but that isn't the only mode in that game.

-Oh, and the level ranking system could do with a little more transparency about how it's calculated, other than 'if you died even once this level, you get the worst rank' (edit: that's in the manual too, apparently you need to be quick and avoid getting knocked down by enemy attacks). And since extra lives are based on points, and your level rank gives you bonus points if it's good, losing lives prevents you from gaining lives.

I know that there are other difficulty levels, but I get the feeling that all they do is make enemies easier to kill and deal a bit less damage, without fixing any of the core issues that I have with the game: enemy attacks I can't react to, controls that I occasionally feel like I'm fighting against, and generally just not being on the same level as Streets of Rage 4, or even Shredder's Revenge which I also have. Probably going to ask for a refund. Sorry BM, I'm not blaming you or anything, it's the thought that counts.

One last thing:

-To unlock the hardest difficulty, you need to beat the second-hardest one with a specific character. I'm not sure why you can't just do it with anyone and it must be Miller.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan