Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Well, you cut in a certain place and it pretty much covers both bases.
You forgot the heat of passion (which it wasn't btw).
I did consider that, but I couldn't really see a way that would happen outside of some quite frightening sexual practices that I didn't want imply you might be into.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yes, but all of those things happened BEFORE I existed. Since I'm alive now, and things can potentially affect ME, it's all more dire. Basically, I had to exist before the world could end.
There's that, I guess. OTOH, I feel sort of reassured that people faced what looked like the end of the world before and mostly survived.

So, some sort of shaving incident or horrific kitchen/workshop etc mishap?
Or something where cutting should have been involved. Fall off a bike and land crotch first on a something sharp or pointy, for example. (That was on a list of user submitted supposedly real life awkward moments on Buzzfeed)

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
There's that, I guess. OTOH, I feel sort of reassured that people faced what looked like the end of the world before and mostly survived.
As far as "it is the end times" goes, I can't think of anything that beats the Black Death in Europe tho. Of course, the world didn't end, but when about a third to half of everyone you know dies horribly in a few years, one can be forgiven for think it was doomed.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As far as "it is the end times" goes, I can't think of anything that beats the Black Death in Europe tho. Of course, the world didn't end, but when about a third to half of everyone you know dies horribly in a few years, one can be forgiven for think it was doomed.
That's a good one, but then what about when Europeans first reached the Americas and brought new diseases over? Greater proportion of casualties, and from their point of view, came out of nowhere.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's a good one, but then what about when Europeans first reached the Americas and brought new diseases over? Greater proportion of casualties, and from their point of view, came out of nowhere.
Oof, yeah. Just looked that up. Up to 90% of indigenous populations. Brutal.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Or something where cutting should have been involved. Fall off a bike and land crotch first on a something sharp or pointy, for example. (That was on a list of user submitted supposedly real life awkward moments on Buzzfeed)
One of the worst injuries I ever saw. Myself and a couple of fellow classmates (8th graders at the time) were fleeing soon to be high school graduates engaging in a "traditional" hazing ritual in my hometown. We scatter, across the street from me a classmate nearly hurdles a low chain link fence. But one of the tines catches him on the way over. I guess it was less of a cut and more of a rip and/or tear.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
One of the worst injuries I ever saw. Myself and a couple of fellow classmates (8th graders at the time) were fleeing soon to be high school graduates engaging in a "traditional" hazing ritual in my hometown. We scatter, across the street from me a classmate nearly hurdles a low chain link fence. But one of the tines catches him on the way over. I guess it was less of a cut and more of a rip and/or tear.
Why?? Why did you share this story?? Thinking back on the countless fences I jumped in my youth, and now I can't uncross my legs!! Now I have to explain to my gf why I'll be wearing a jock strap cup 24/7 for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Wages went up though (y).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Why?? Why did you share this story?? Thinking back on the countless fences I jumped in my youth, and now I can't uncross my legs!! Now I have to explain to my gf why I'll be wearing a jock strap cup 24/7 for the rest of my life.

Well, it all wound up ok. Less than a dozen stiches and no lasting effects other than mental scarring (mostly for him, but also a little for those of us there.) I wish I could say that the incident put an end to the hazing ritual (known as "haul outs," the seniors would round up 8th graders in their trucks, drive them a few miles out into the county, take their shoes and leave the kids to walk back to collect their shoes in the high school parking lot.) But it didn't. I never did get hauled out. That happened the first day, and the seniors had all fled. For the rest of the week I decided to go golfing after school. So when the seniors pulled up to grab me, I just drew my 2 iron. They were pretty sure I wasn't bluffing with the golf club threat and backed off. A year or 2 later a kid got hurt (not horribly, broken foot) and the mom threatened to sue the school and the police for looking the other way on what was basically assault and kidnapping. And suddenly the hazing ritual was over. The class a year older than mine started a new tradition of a week of finding the 8th graders after school and hanging out with them for a few hours. And the really nice part of the story, the fence jumper (who did earn the nickname "Airball" for a while) had been the type of guy whom I would have said would have been very eager to participate in "haul outs" as a senior. And instead when we were seniors, Airball would pick a group of 8th graders a day and drive them wherever they wanted to go and/or give them driving lessons. Guess that's one way to change a potential bully.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Friday night, a rather severe rainstorm rolled through my area. Branches and twigs litter the ground everywhere because they broke off during the storm (a couple of trees in the neighborhood have already been cut down because of the damage they suffered). And, much to my everlasting joy, water came into my basement and I'm going to have to call the insurance company to send an inspector and a construction company to come out and look at the foundation to seal up the leaking bits.

Went through this crap about 10 years ago. I know I'll endure it. I know I can afford the repairs. Still going to ***** mightily about it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I know this isn't "news" to most anyone with any semblance of reason about them, but social media trends really grind my gears.

One of the latest "sweeping the nation" is #GirlDinner. Basically, a woman, sans spouse and sans kids, posted a video of herself snacking instead of cooking a proper dinner, called it "Girl Dinner," and the masses followed suit. It's called SNACKING. Women do it; men do it; families dot it, hell, pets do it; wild animals do it; it's nothing new or exceptional. They interviewed the woman who started it, and she had the gall to say "it's something we all do, but no one talks about it" like she's some kind of pioneer or brave woman paving the way for female snackers everywhere. Christ, Y'know what? I'm on board with a national ban on TikTok. I'll miss my voiced-over animal videos, but if it means the mundane can't be transmorgified into "trends," I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I know this isn't "news" to most anyone with any semblance of reason about them, but social media trends really grind my gears.

One of the latest "sweeping the nation" is #GirlDinner. Basically, a woman, sans spouse and sans kids, posted a video of herself snacking instead of cooking a proper dinner, called it "Girl Dinner," and the masses followed suit. It's called SNACKING. Women do it; men do it; families dot it, hell, pets do it; wild animals do it; it's nothing new or exceptional. They interviewed the woman who started it, and she had the gall to say "it's something we all do, but no one talks about it" like she's some kind of pioneer or brave woman paving the way for female snackers everywhere. Christ, Y'know what? I'm on board with a national ban on TikTok. I'll miss my voiced-over animal videos, but if it means the mundane can't be transmorgified into "trends," I'm willing to make that sacrifice.
Social media "trends" are hallowed ground, best not looked at directly...like the sun, or a Lovecraftian monster, or YouTube comments on anything deemed "political." Though that one you mentioned is kinda making me wonder how connected it is to modern eating disorders, of which social media algorithms are routinely found promoting to even young teens more than ever. Still, I suppose it's a mild improvement over seeing the word "Jews" trending on multiple occasions: that's one of more potent "welllp...time to log off, ain't no fun to be found there today" omens, in my experience.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Social media "trends" are hallowed ground, best not looked at directly...like the sun, or a Lovecraftian monster, or YouTube comments on anything deemed "political." Though that one you mentioned is kinda making me wonder how connected it is to modern eating disorders, of which social media algorithms are routinely found promoting to even young teens more than ever. Still, I suppose it's a mild improvement over seeing the word "Jews" trending on multiple occasions: that's one of more potent "welllp...time to log off, ain't no fun to be found there today" omens, in my experience.
From what I understand, the complaints were that "girl dinner" was putting a positive spin on eating disorders because the idea was it was replacing a proper meal with a few grapes and some cheese?
I'm not that sure though, I'm kind of with Xprimentyl. If anything, the whole trend really isn't worth getting up in arms about, or even garnering any real interest on social or wherever.
"Hey, it was so hot I didn't fall asleep and only got 3 hours of sleep before about 7 punches of the snooze button. Wanna see the picture of my 'boy breakfast" of a sausage link, a multivitamin gummy, and a pb&b?" Btw, a pb&b is "natural" peanut butter (the one with the ingredient list that has one ingredient... peanuts) on top of a couple of small florets of broccoli.

Shut up, it is better than it sounds.

But, I'd probably get pushback from the peanut allergy lobby. "Don't you know that could kill a CHILD?" Well, then tell that child to NOT EAT PEANUTS!

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
From what I understand, the complaints were that "girl dinner" was putting a positive spin on eating disorders because the idea was it was replacing a proper meal with a few grapes and some cheese?
I'm not that sure though, I'm kind of with Xprimentyl. If anything, the whole trend really isn't worth getting up in arms about, or even garnering any real interest on social or wherever.
"Hey, it was so hot I didn't fall asleep and only got 3 hours of sleep before about 7 punches of the snooze button. Wanna see the picture of my 'boy breakfast" of a sausage link, a multivitamin gummy, and a pb&b?" Btw, a pb&b is "natural" peanut butter (the one with the ingredient list that has one ingredient... peanuts) on top of a couple of small florets of broccoli.

Shut up, it is better than it sounds.

But, I'd probably get pushback from the peanut allergy lobby. "Don't you know that could kill a CHILD?" Well, then tell that child to NOT EAT PEANUTS!
Yeah, the interview on the Today Show actually mentioned some pushback from eating disorder lobbies, and my eyes rolled so hard, I almost swallowed them. We, as a society, have gotten so overly-sensitive and overly-focused on the importance and influence of the mundane, that I'm about sick to my stomach. Everything on offer is NOT intended for everyone, and everything is not interesting or noteworthy. There are so many other important things going on in our world that #GirlDinner deserves to be less than a thing.

People are stupid. We'll all be posting TikToks of ourselves taking a shit when the bombs start flying, and that's just what those in control of those bombs want.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, the interview on the Today Show actually mentioned some pushback from eating disorder lobbies, and my eyes rolled so hard, I almost swallowed them. We, as a society, have gotten so overly-sensitive and overly-focused on the importance and influence of the mundane, that I'm about sick to my stomach. Everything on offer is NOT intended for everyone, and everything is not interesting or noteworthy. There are so many other important things going on in our world that #GirlDinner deserves to be less than a thing.

People are stupid. We'll all be posting TikToks of ourselves taking a shit when the bombs start flying, and that's just what those in control of those bombs want.
Well, we roll our eyes. But I'd have been fairly embarrassed if the bombs had started flying around the same time we were all reading the thread here about wiping front to back vs back to front. Some people here got fairly oversensitive about that subject. A topic I'm only sensitive about if there isn't enough of the soft TP around and I haven't made the proper Preparation for.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So, 3-day passes for paddock access at Formula 1's Austin GP are... $35,000... PER PERSON.

I wanted to splurge. Y'know, treat myself to a dream experience on an F1 paddock. But apparently, if you you weren't born with a diamond-encrusted, gold-plated scrotum, that level of splurging is simply not for you. I'll watch from home, drink my 7-n-7s, and think about all the assholes I wish I was who're on the paddock and probably know jack shit about Formula 1, but thought it'd be "fun" to toss $35K to hang out with the drivers and crews for a few days.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a shit-ton of lottery tickets. I'm too good a guy for God to ignore me as he has my whole life (special nod to all those suffering poverty and disease around the world, but this is F1, and I love very few things more; let this first-world guy live his dream, then we'll feed you, house you, and cure your diseases.)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wanted to splurge. Y'know, treat myself to a dream experience on an F1 paddock. But apparently, if you you weren't born with a diamond-encrusted, gold-plated scrotum, that level of splurging is simply not for you. I'll watch from home, drink my 7-n-7s, and think about all the assholes I wish I was who're on the paddock and probably know jack shit about Formula 1, but thought it'd be "fun" to toss $35K to hang out with the drivers and crews for a few days.
I mean, if the Formula One Group gave a shit about its rank-and-file fans, they'd have some sort of lottery for that, so that the "ten quid at the pub" crowd could have as much of a chance as the "morning bath in champagne" elites. But that wouldn't make as much money, of course....