Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I vaguely remember the 4e Darksun was fine in that regard. It's just that the Prism Pentad didn't exist anymore. Or Beyond the Prism Pentad. And the Last Sea double didn't exist. Halflings were cannibals and that's all that matters.
I'll be honest, getting rid of the Brom artwork was specifically the problem I had with later edition releases. It was pretty much a picture perfect example of "when male gaze complaining/sex-neg puritanical feminism goes wrong". For one thing, the lewdity was well and truly gender-neutral, the dudes were just as luridly drawn if not more and everyone's armor wasn't just wildly impractical, it fit the setting.

For another, context matters and we're not discussing Frank Frazetta/Boris Valejo Conan artwork where all the women were either mostly-naked slave girls, naked slave girls, mostly-naked princesses in bondage, or naked princesses in bondage. That is to say, portrayed as specifically sex objects to be won or dominated. The women in Brom's Dark Sun artwork were badass fully empowered pirate dominatrixes and shit. Brom's Dark Sun artwork actively subverted the SFF artwork of its time as typified by the aforementioned two, and was infinitely better for it.

In some light memeing to tame this
To be completely frank, 3.x completely blew its load on the Dalelands and the Sea of Fallen Stars region, so focusing on the Sword Coast and the North is a welcome change for my eyes. I just wish they'd focus on the southern Sword Coast, Moonshae Isles, and Lands of Intrigue. It's been a good minute since we got anything good for that area.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
You would pull the stone out, carve out the stairs, and then fill in/seal off the arteries to move the stone. And it would be arteries, a lot of individual rooms wouldn't have ramps.
Why not though?

I mean, what do the stairs do.

In any case you can write dungeons to be wheelchair accessible, the lich's tower is full of wheelchair ramps and elevators because the lich was wheelchair bound in life and that's when he built his tower.
It's really not that hard.

The dungeon is an old dwarven hold which was destroyed by some kind of hostile force that may still live there. It was built to be accessible for livestock, which provided food, transportation and mechanical power for the inhabitants. Thus, most of the living area is built on a single level to make it accessible to animals. This also made ventilation and sewage easier to manage. There are warehouses and mining tunnels on lower levels, but noone wants to haul heavy loads up and down stairs so they are accessible via mechanically powered elevators. The mines once had a system of rails and carts which are now in disrepair but still navigable.

There. You have a dungeon which is entirely wheelchair accessible without needing to be designed around wheelchair users at all, simply because it's convenient to have an environment which can be navigated by animals or vehicles. You could even use this as part of the adventure. Maybe the characters have to find a power source and repair the run lines that provide power to the elevators in order to access the mines and storerooms. Maybe whatever took over the hold is a giant monster that wouldn't be able to climb humanoid sized stairs but can move comfortably through the main shafts of the mining tunnels or through communal areas of the living quarters.

I don't think it's particularly difficult to find believable reasons why a space would be designed with limited or no stairs.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Why not though?

I mean, what do the stairs do.
They're more space efficient than ramps. Again, this is more explaining how you would actually do this, not necessarily how you have to do this and make your wheelchair friend feel bad.

It's really not that hard.

The dungeon is an old dwarven hold which was destroyed by some kind of hostile force that may still live there. It was built to be accessible for livestock, which provided food, transportation and mechanical power for the inhabitants. Thus, most of the living area is built on a single level to make it accessible to animals. This also made ventilation and sewage easier to manage. There are warehouses and mining tunnels on lower levels, but noone wants to haul heavy loads up and down stairs so they are accessible via mechanically powered elevators. The mines once had a system of rails and carts which are now in disrepair but still navigable.

There. You have a dungeon which is entirely wheelchair accessible without needing to be designed around wheelchair users at all, simply because it's convenient to have an environment which can be navigated by animals or vehicles. You could even use this as part of the adventure. Maybe the characters have to find a power source and repair the run lines that provide power to the elevators in order to access the mines and storerooms. Maybe whatever took over the hold is a giant monster that wouldn't be able to climb humanoid sized stairs but can move comfortably through the main shafts of the mining tunnels or through communal areas of the living quarters.

I don't think it's particularly difficult to find believable reasons why a space would be designed with limited or no stairs.
The point here is that it is easy to design dungeons to be wheelchair accessible yes, but it wouldn't make too much sense if every dungeon in a massive adventure is. If the party is okay with it being a bit weird, it's fine and all, but it is a bit weird.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I was so confused by that statement I had to look it up, and they toned down Faerun for 5e, which makes sense now that it's officially the default setting for the system.
Yeah, it was Greenwood walking back literally everything he wrote in the past about FR, on Twitter of all places. And in that long, ridiculous, thread he wrote, he couldn't even keep his own math and reasoning straight, couldn't keep himself consistent with established lore or mechanics (such as races with innate cantrips and leveled casting), and seemed to have difficulty making the distinction between cantrips and leveled spellcasting.

Bear in mind this is also the same guy who wrote drow orgasm when they have abortions.

Anywhere else, Faerun has been (and still is) the setting in which a goodly chunk of the populace learn at least one cantrip over the course of their lives, even if it's something as simple as Prestidigitation for household chores. Aurora's is still in business, even accounting for the 5e "nerf".

...It's infamous for it's cabal of super powered NPCs that could solve any and every problem any player might have but have increasingly silly reasons to be lazy...
That's why I love Larloch in particular. Commands an army of 2,000+ year-old liches, has full access to the full sum of Netherese lore and might, personally on Mystra's shit-list, could easily take over the Realms if he really felt like it. Spends most of his time in between evil overlord schemes being a petty dick for no reason other than he fucking feels like it.

He still doesn't hold a candle in terms of raw comedy when compared to Manshoon, though.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And has already been pointed out, it likely would have been received better had it not been "my Sonic O.C." game-breakingly overpowered, Mary Sue homebrew. As written, that shit could and should have been classified as an artifact, instead of an unclassified wondrous item cheaper than a cloak of billowing.

"You can move at your full speed regardless of mobility issues relevant to disability" would have been more appropriate in a common wondrous item.
Man, who fucking cares. Trying to police what other do at their own personal tables, fucking hell. This isn't flame war worthy and it's not a fucking culture war

Well, it is fucking now I guess, because a bunch of insecure wankers couldn't leave well enough alone and just *had to* turn a bit of "unbalanced" fan fluff into a fucking controversy

I swear to back-flipping Christ that y'all are trying to make Knights of the Dinner Table predictive instead of parody

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Man, who fucking cares. Trying to police what other do at their own personal tables, fucking hell. This isn't flame war worthy and it's not a fucking culture war

Well, it is fucking now I guess, because a bunch of insecure wankers couldn't leave well enough alone and just *had to* turn a bit of "unbalanced" fan fluff into a fucking controversy

I swear to back-flipping Christ that y'all are trying to make Knights of the Dinner Table predictive instead of parody
Yeah, this is sounding like the war against Teiflings, or seeing Drow as anything other than Evil. Or when Kobols are anything other than cannon fodder

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
https://quillette.com/2023/07/21/rip-richard-bilkszto/

Cancel culture wasn't real, they said.

Wokeism wasn't real, they said.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/07/16/my-vagina-is-not-a-bonus-hole/

As a sperm incubator, I cannot wait to put my sperm depositor through the bonus hole of a non-man. 0_0
Those articles have a lot of issues. I'd recommend you follow up on the actual instances they're talking about, in sources that aren't... quite so committed to culture war nonsense.

For example, on the 'bonus hole' thing. It's a good idea to be sceptical of anything Julie Bindell pens, because she's a renowned liar with an axe to grind about trans people. I checked the glossary of 'preferred terms' of Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust to follow up, and 'Bonus Hole' is not one of them. The only place it appears is on a separate glossary of terms specifically for practitioners dealing with trans patients, where it is only listed as an alternative, not a preferred term. Absolutely nowhere does the Trust say its better to refer to the vagina that way. Bindell is lying.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
But FR is notoriously one of the most high magic settings, with mages and the very gods intervening constantly. It's infamous for it's cabal of super powered NPCs that could solve any and every problem any player might have but have increasingly silly reasons to be lazy.
What do you understand "high magic" to mean? Because it D&D terms, it tends to refer to the overall prevalence of magic in society. The occasional intervention of deities and a handful of superpowerful NPC wizards does not tell us anything about the overall prevalence of magic.

For instance, one uber-mage might be able to make a volcano erupt, but it doesn't mean they operate as a magical artefact factory churning out magic lamps and +1 swords for the mass market - and indeed, such a mage would probably see that sort of task as well beneath them and a huge distraction from the important stuff. You don't tend to fight a random bunch of brigands or orc raiding party and find a ring of protection and magic sword in the loot. You go into dungeons and otherwise take on "special" NPCs to find this stuff because it isn't readily available from general stores or stealable from half the houses in every village in the land.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
And at last we come to the final form of the argument when all else has exhausted itself, "who cares what other people do at their tables!". Which might potentially be considered true, if other people weren't so damned concerned with what I do at my table. But since they are, it's actually about as true as conservative Christians' "we don't care what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom", but only so long as what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is exclusively heterosexual, monogamist, patriarchally-framed, and without the freeing influence of birth control, STI protection, or proper education on consent, boundaries, safety, or even the capacity to experience pleasure.

No, instead, these people insist on entire rulesets and settings rewritten to their preferences, precluding the possibility of play any way but theirs. Despite that people like me have been running inclusive and progressive-minded games for decades, already within the remit of the rules which already existed. Simply because they lack the reading comprehension to understand the ways in which their preferences are already baked in, lack the imagination to include those preferences with a sense of verisimilitude or (ironically) fantasy, or are so insistent upon projecting their real-life political baggage or social hang-ups into a fictitious universe which exists for the sole purpose of escapism.

That's why and how you end up with a "new and socially improved!" Forgotten Realms setting with fewer powerful women, or women in leadership roles. Simbul took a misogynist fantasy trope to the face. Storm's misogynist fantasy troping herself for Mordenkainen. Sylune got fridged, and Dove's nowhere to be seen. Alustriel abdicated leadership of Silverymoon to her simp, "advises" the Lords' Alliance, and almost all her diplomatic work was systemically undone to progress men characters' stories. Qilue's been dead for a while. The only one of the Seven Sisters whose lot improved was Laeral, and that's thanks to political connections from being married to Khelben.

That's just the Seven Sisters, by the way. This is the default campaign setting, which for all its "stunning and brave" sensibility and advertisement has quite easily proven itself the most low-key misogynistic iteration of Forgotten Realms to date judging from the way major women characters have been treated in it.

That's why and how you end up with Dark Sun, minus its delightfully subversive Brom artwork as discussed earlier, because neo-puritans are pathologically, patriarchally, obsessed with the notion provocative dress equals disempowerment and objectification.

That's why and how you end up with a(n Age of Despair) Dragonlance setting that leaves its critique of organized religion, theocracy, and clergy by the wayside, and completely forsakes its brutality, for "accessibility" for wont of intellectual fortitude to limit player choice in service of its themes.

That's why and how players are approaching the upcoming Planescape guide not with eager anticipation, but dread. Because god only knows what a writing team more interested in political posturing and too fearful of offense, but lacks the skill to politically posture without inadvertently undermining their own politics, will do with a deeply postmodern setting populated by philosophical factions that are all straw men by design, and the chief conflict is in how those factions vie with each other for influence in a city where widescale or organized violence is prohibited by an iron-fisted quasi-divine despot and her regime.

What do you understand "high magic" to mean? Because it D&D terms, it tends to refer to the overall prevalence of magic in society. The occasional intervention of deities and a handful of superpowerful NPC wizards does not tell us anything about the overall prevalence of magic.
You're right, it doesn't. So let's check these statements for veracity, shall we?

For instance, one uber-mage might be able to make a volcano erupt,
That's a 10th level spell. And in Forgotten Realms...so many people were capable of doing this, so often, it was fucking up the environment so badly that, in addition to a whole bunch of other epic magic fuckery that was even worse, it had to be banned by divine mandate to prevent Forgotten Realms from turning into Dark Sun.

but it doesn't mean they operate as a magical artefact factory churning out magic lamps and +1 swords for the mass market
Tell me you don't know what happens in Halruaa, Thay, and Lantan without saying you don't know what happens in Halruaa, Thay, and Lantan. This is exactly what happens in Halruaa, Thay, and Lantan. Mass creation, export, and sale of scrolls, reagents, and magical items through its enclaves, expedited by teleportation, is a staple of the Thayan economy for god's sake.

and indeed, such a mage would probably see that sort of task as well beneath them and a huge distraction from the important stuff.
That's why they have apprentices, understudies, and (in Thay's case) slaves.

You don't tend to fight a random bunch of brigands or orc raiding party and find a ring of protection and magic sword in the loot.
+1 magic weapons as uncommon items are literally on the loot table for tier 1 encounters. Rings of Protection have always been on the same loot table for past editions, but were only upgraded to rare in 5e*. Cloaks of Protection are still uncommon, and therefore on the same tier 1 loot table.

(* Bounded accuracy, comparative value of item as a function of equipment slot, and the comparative utility of items which grant attack, skill check, or saving throw modifiers fucked with a lot of things in 5e. A +1 modifier is a hell of a lot more powerful in 5e than in any past edition, and items had to be rebalanced accordingly. Magic items of equal or greater adventuring utility, or encounter applicability, are comparatively weighed less than equivalent items.

For instance, see how Bags of Holding were downgraded to uncommon while Heward's Handy Haversacks were upgraded to rare, making Bags of Holding available on those same tier 1 loot tables.)

You go into dungeons and otherwise take on "special" NPCs to find this stuff because it isn't readily available from general stores or stealable from half the houses in every village in the land.
You act like those and other equally iconic or powerful items, are the only magic items to exist in the game. Interesting we're talking about those instead of, say, Heward's Handy Spice Pouch or an Everbright Lantern. It's almost as if someone here doesn't actually know as much as they think they do, or is trying to not-so-subtly reframe the discussion around terms to their benefit.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And at last we come to the final form of the argument when all else has exhausted itself, "who cares what other people do at their tables!". Which might potentially be considered true, if other people weren't so damned concerned with what I do at my table.
Nobody gives a fuck what you do at your table. You are under zero obligation to use modern material

And you know it. Hell, *I* break out 2nd Edition AD&D every now and again, or it's relatively modern, super extra crunchy spiritual successor Hackmaster

Last edited:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
And has already been pointed out, it likely would have been received better had it not been "my Sonic O.C." game-breakingly overpowered, Mary Sue homebrew. As written, that shit could and should have been classified as an artifact, instead of an unclassified wondrous item cheaper than a cloak of billowing.

"You can move at your full speed regardless of mobility issues relevant to disability" would have been more appropriate in a common wondrous item.
in light of how you were just crowing about how easy it was to get a Broom of Flying - which is downright gamebreaking if readily available - I call bullshit. The wheelchair would compensate for a character's lack of mobility. By contrast, the Broom of Flying is functionally a permanent Fly spell and will almost always be superior to regular movement because it lets you ignore terrain entirely, adds another dimension of movement that most encounters simply weren't designed for (and which consequentially would require GM escalation to compensate), and gives you a faster movement speed (50 speed vs the usual 30 or less) to boot. It only has a technicality of a limitation in that it can only fly for 9 hours per day. And I say that's a technicality of a limitation because you can only travel 8 hours before risking exhaustion anyways.

Magical items like that are deceptively powerful and quickly turn into gamebreakers unless you design the rest of the campaign around neutering the increased capabilities they provide (such as being able to bypass the tower they're supposed to climb by just flying up to the upper windows).

And you want to tell us that the problem that you have with the wheelchair is that it's OP? For functionally being little more than a mount that enemies won't ever target? And you're specifically contrasting that with a magic item that gives you a daily 9th level overland flight spell capable of reaching a movement speed of 50 (contrasting the standard base speed of 30) for weights under 200 pounds (reduced to the standard 30 for weights over 200 but below 400), lets you maneuver on the Z-axis and put yourself permanently outside the range of melee combatants, makes it trivial to bypass non-flying encounters entirely, lets you bypass grounded tracking mechanics, and can be summoned to you from up to 300 yards away? Pull the other one.

Now if you want to argue that it defeats the purpose of making your character like that (or lets you bypass intentional movement restrictions, like the Sedentary Curse for the Oracle, or a Merfolk's land-speed), that's one thing. But that argument applies every bit as much - even more in some cases - to the magic items you pitched as alternatives to the wheelchair.

If you wanted to argue that it feels anachronistic for your D&D setting, that would be similarly defensible, if uninformed considering both how old the tech is (we have artistic depictions of wheelchairs dating back to the 6th century BCE), D&D's setting now either being on the cusp of or having recently introduced widespread firearms, and the Warforged usually being depicted as having aesthetics closer to androids than golems. The anachronistic ship sailed long ago.

But Gamebreakingly OP? Artifact tier? Compared to the Broom you pitched as a cheap and readily available alternative, "Easily acquired at tier 1, i.e. levels 1-4."? ...Dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States

It grants two tool proficiencies free, a free backpack that ignores encumbrance (not that anyone uses it), additional weapon and item slots, automated movement and remote control, three natural attacks including free bull rush/charge (thereby replicating a whole-ass feat), free dash, the ability to ignore difficult terrain (a permanent effect equivalent to a 4th level spell), advantage against bull rush and trip attacks, limited levitation regardless, and resistance to damage well above that of iron, adamantine, platinum, titanium, and even diamond golems. Without even requiring attunement, or going into the "upgrades" which straight-up replicate mid-level class features, feats, and spells at practically zero cost.

That is far in excess of merely compensating for lack of mobility. That is a fucking artifact, my dude. It doles out more goodies than Blackrazor without any corresponding drawbacks. You wanna talk about how a flying broom is actually overpowered, all along, while giving this Tumblr-quality piece of work a pass? That's the bullshit, not my reminding everyone solutions to these issues are already baked into the game.

Hell comparing the two, a character can still be knocked off a flying broom and then proceed to take a potential assload of falling damage.

As I stated earlier, this wouldn't be a problem were it just a common wondrous item that allowed for players to move at base speed regardless of innate mobility problems. Then it could be argued as "compensating for a character's lack of mobility", but that is definitively not the case. But if were, we couldn't get internet handies from "anyone calling out clear but easily reconcilable problems with this item's balance is actually just a grognard bigot!".

By the way, shitty DM's "have to" design to neuter magical item and class abilities. Exact same nonsense as when shitty DM's want to run a "gritty survivalist" campaign, whines about and eventually bans Goodberry, Rope Trick, and Leomund's Tiny Hut...and then jacks Survival check DC's into the stratosphere for even trivial checks when PC's skill mods increase over time. Or when a shitty DM wants to run a campaign featuring a plague, greenlights a paladin PC without considering the impact disease immunity, auras, and lay on hands will have on the campaign...and then whines about how that paladin breaks "their" campaign before DM fiat'ing away paladin disease immunity and lay on hands.

The rest of us have the knowledge and foresight to plan around those items and class abilities, respective to party makeup and planned loot drops, or at least already know which campaigns/adventures simply aren't viable ideas in the first place due to how the damn game works.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

It grants two tool proficiencies free, a free backpack that ignores encumbrance (not that anyone uses it), additional weapon and item slots, automated movement and remote control, three natural attacks including free bull rush/charge (thereby replicating a whole-ass feat), free dash, the ability to ignore difficult terrain (a permanent effect equivalent to a 4th level spell), advantage against bull rush and trip attacks, limited levitation regardless, and resistance to damage well above that of iron, adamantine, platinum, titanium, and even diamond golems. Without even requiring attunement, or going into the "upgrades" which straight-up replicate mid-level class features, feats, and spells at practically zero cost.

That is far in excess of merely compensating for lack of mobility. That is a fucking artifact, my dude. It doles out more goodies than Blackrazor without any corresponding drawbacks. You wanna talk about how a flying broom is actually overpowered, all along, while giving this Tumblr-quality piece of work a pass? That's the bullshit, not my reminding everyone solutions to these issues are already baked into the game.

Hell comparing the two, a character can still be knocked off a flying broom and then proceed to take a potential assload of falling damage.

As I stated earlier, this wouldn't be a problem were it just a common wondrous item that allowed for players to move at base speed regardless of innate mobility problems. Then it could be argued as "compensating for a character's lack of mobility", but that is definitively not the case. But if were, we couldn't get internet handies from "anyone calling out clear but easily reconcilable problems with this item's balance is actually just a grognard bigot!".

By the way, shitty DM's "have to" design to neuter magical item and class abilities. Exact same nonsense as when shitty DM's want to run a "gritty survivalist" campaign, whines about and eventually bans Goodberry, Rope Trick, and Leomund's Tiny Hut...and then jacks Survival check DC's into the stratosphere for even trivial checks when PC's skill mods increase over time. Or when a shitty DM wants to run a campaign featuring a plague, greenlights a paladin PC without considering the impact disease immunity, auras, and lay on hands will have on the campaign...and then whines about how that paladin breaks "their" campaign before DM fiat'ing away paladin disease immunity and lay on hands.

The rest of us have the knowledge and foresight to plan around those items and class abilities, respective to party makeup and planned loot drops, or at least already know which campaigns/adventures simply aren't viable ideas in the first place due to how the damn game works.
https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1594519312524.pdf said:
The Combat Wheelchair was homebrewed by Sara Thompson
That's some random's homebrew. Admittedly, yeah, it looks like a bad homebrew, but still

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX