General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We're clearly using different definitions of failed. There's any number of sci-fi shows (heck, fiction, period) that reached the end of their run on their own terms that have faded from memory over time. I don't consider that a failure ipso facto. If the definition of failure is to fade from memory, then practically every piece of fiction will inevitably fail over time.
Yeah, don't care. It's failure when people forget that fast and the show is that generic and uninteresting. It failed to get my attention and plenty of others.

I'm happy to not engage in a back and forth, but you're doing the same thing again - you make a claim ("most of them are shit," "most have failed," "most add nothing," etc.) and don't provide any evidence to back it up. And if Sturgeon's Law applies, and 90% of all transmedia/tie-in media/EU is shit, then that's still a red herring because Sturgeon's Law states that 90% of everything is shit, not "some things" or "specific types of things."
I did provide many examples, you just don't listen and goal post. Sturgeon' Law still applies. Not my fault your are using it wrong and don't know the meaning. This conversation is over. The Borderlands movie is going to more than likely be shit, because Eli Roth can't direct a good movie or horror movie for shit. The multiplayer/streaming whatever is disasters waiting to happen and wastes everyone's time. You want in on either? Be my guest.

On to more important matters:

God no! Burn to the ground!

Bullshit!

Cool!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Granted, there has not been any reason to log into ubisoft as of late, but I also have some good games from better days; AC2-AC4, Far Cry 3-4, Blood Dragon, etc. Interesting bit on Ubisoft REQUIRED to close accounts under GDPR data protection law. IDK, can't they just leave the accounts alone? Or better yet, release their games DRM-free on other platforms. I hate uplay!

Guess this means I am forced to log-in on regular basis

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Granted, there has not been any reason to log into ubisoft as of late, but I also have some good games from better days; AC2-AC4, Far Cry 3-4, Blood Dragon, etc. Interesting bit on Ubisoft REQUIRED to close accounts under GDPR data protection law. IDK, can't they just leave the accounts alone? Or better yet, release their games DRM-free on other platforms. I hate uplay!

Guess this means I am forced to log-in on regular basis
While I literally am contacted not to say the name, I work for a company bound by GDPR and I don't think it'd go that extent. While I'm not in EU I'm prettysure mine just deactivates them and makes you jump through some hoops with phone support to make sure its you reactivating them.

Though IIRC, thats the one that can fine companies 3% of their yearly profit per infraction, so yeah, one of the rare privacy laws with some actual fangs for the huge corps.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I did provide many examples, you just don't listen and goal post.
What examples have I ignored, and how have I moved the goal posts?

Sturgeon' Law still applies. Not my fault your are using it wrong and don't know the meaning.
I know what Sturgeon's Law means. It's an adage that stems from the conception that sci-fi was of low quality, when in fact most examples of any given genre/field are of low quality. But it's barely relevant, because if 90% of transmedia/EU stuff is shit, then that remains true for everything, so bringing Sturgeon's Law into this isn't really relevant. If you're claiming that 90% of EU material is crap, and this doesn't apply to core material, then you can make that claim, but don't call it Sturgeon's Law.

The Borderlands movie is going to more than likely be shit, because Eli Roth can't direct a good movie or horror movie for shit.
It's so weird, you accuse me of ignoring me of ignoring what you say, but right here you've ignored what I've said.

If Eli Roth can't direct a good movie, or a horror movie, then how do you explain 'A House with a Clock in Its Walls,' where not only is it a good movie, but some of the best elements are its horror ones? And why are we even discussing horror movies when Borderlands isn't a horror IP, and as far as I'm aware, there's nothing to indicate the film would be?

And before you accuse me of "ignoring" the films you cite, I'm not ignoring them, I just haven't seen them, so I don't have anything to say on the matter.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Welp, that didn't take long. Saw that coming. So many multiplayer shooters chasing a trend before realizing "oh this wasn't a good idea"
Well it's certainly not a good idea to chase a trend and then do it poorly. I'm sure plenty of MP shooter fans would love to have something new to play if it was good. But trend chasers don't put the time or budget into copying a trend to make their game stand out. Serious game dev takes too long and the trend would be different by the time you made a good game. Thus making chasing a trend a poor choice to make in the first place. Oh woe are those that don't understand the business they leech off of.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well it's certainly not a good idea to chase a trend and then do it poorly. I'm sure plenty of MP shooter fans would love to have something new to play if it was good. But trend chasers don't put the time or budget into copying a trend to make their game stand out. Serious game dev takes too long and the trend would be different by the time you made a good game. Thus making chasing a trend a poor choice to make in the first place. Oh woe are those that don't understand the business they leech off of.
Which is why derivative game design does matter.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What sign?

I'm not wrong. When it's done that poorly, lazy, and rushed out the door with not much distance between all the other ones, then it does matter. Even when something derivative is done greatly, yet has its own thing, it does matter at some point. We've seen and discuss this, time after time again. GTA clones/sandbox games (twice around the block), "realistic"/futuristic sci-fi grim dark cover shooters with shoe horned in multiplayer (when playing follow the leader was at its worse for me), Fornite clones/BRs, etc. Most of them don't go anywhere, or stick around and do so little that they become forgotten about within the next few months or a year. Sometimes not even that.

There's a reason why a majority of those grim dark cover shooters are stuck on 7th generation consoles. The same reason why most of those MMOs never got off the ground for more than a year at best. The same reason why most of the Battle Royales haven't gained much ground. There were a few good ones like Rumble Verse, but they in a few others were shut down, by the respective publishers, because they threw a hissy fit and they didn't make as much money as Fortnite. AKA didn't make all the money in the universe. Those were doing great, but the publishers got the final say, as usual, and took their ball home crying with them. Hell, not even a Smash Brothers clones are safe from this. That one that involved all the WB characters dropped off within a year, because it lacked its own identity and the music was too generic. That they tried too hard to "not make it like smash". The Sony one on PS3 was still worse in that regard though. Speaking of which, PlayStation All-Stars have more of an identity than that WB game. The Nickelodeon one did better, but it lost similar traction, but they're still getting some updates, last I heard. I could be wrong though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What sign?

I'm not wrong. When it's done that poorly, lazy, and rushed out the door with not much distance between all the other ones, then it does matter. Even when something derivative is done greatly, yet has its own thing, it does matter at some point. We've seen and discuss this, time after time again. GTA clones/sandbox games (twice around the block), "realistic"/futuristic sci-fi grim dark cover shooters with shoe horned in multiplayer (when playing follow the leader was at its worse for me), Fornite clones/BRs, etc. Most of them don't go anywhere, or stick around and do so little that they become forgotten about within the next few months or a year. Sometimes not even that.

There's a reason why a majority of those grim dark cover shooters are stuck on 7th generation consoles. The same reason why most of those MMOs never got off the ground for more than a year at best. The same reason why most of the Battle Royales haven't gained much ground. There were a few good ones like Rumble Verse, but they in a few others were shut down, by the respective publishers, because they threw a hissy fit and they didn't make as much money as Fortnite. AKA didn't make all the money in the universe. Those were doing great, but the publishers got the final say, as usual, and took their ball home crying with them. Hell, not even a Smash Brothers clones are safe from this. That one that involved all the WB characters dropped off within a year, because it lacked its own identity and the music was too generic. That they tried too hard to "not make it like smash". The Sony one on PS3 was still worse in that regard though. Speaking of which, PlayStation All-Stars have more of an identity than that WB game. The Nickelodeon one did better, but it lost similar traction, but they're still getting some updates, last I heard. I could be wrong though.
I mean again, a good game can functionally be identical to another game. The derivative nature isn't the problem. Being shit is the problem, being shit and generic. The reason why this is so fundamental in the chasing trends thing is that in order to chase a trend development has to be quick otherwise your game will miss the boat. PLaystation Destruction All-stars for example, or all the hero battle royal bullshit things we saw at the last playstation showcase like the splatoon knock off, and Marathon's reboot. These are good examples of games that are coming too late to make a mark in the space, and don't have enough good design ideas to make up for the short comings....probably.

Speaking of which I hear that dinosaur thing Exoprimal is actually decent, though it has similar problems.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The derivative nature isn't the problem. Being shit is the problem, being shit and generic.
Same difference. The only difference is homogenization is the key issue here. Most of these guys keep trying to appeal to everyone in hoping to make all the money in the world, instead of just focusing on a smaller or downsized core audience. Say what you will about the clones from the 16-bit days, the PS1 days, or even the sixth generation days, at least many of them actually tried and didn't try homogenizing (which you did mention) everything. Not every clone made it of course, but my point still stands. Derivative design does matter, if you're not doing much different, being worse at it, or not having your own unique niche/gimmick that is actually decent or good. We've already been around this block a million times already.

These are good examples of games that are coming too late to make a mark in the space, and don't have enough good design ideas to make up for the short comings....probably.
Marathon shouldn't be multiplayer only. While the original did have multiplayer, the single player was the most important part of that game. I'm not impressed, nor do I look forward to it. At least this Splatoon knock off has bubbles. Like I said before, instead of trying something actually different, or just hoping to trend is still alive by that point, the next big thing will come along and they'll fall into that same trap all over again.

Speaking of which I hear that dinosaur thing Exoprimal is actually decent, though it has similar problems.
While I was looking somewhat forward to it, Capcom should have just made it a Dino Crisis game, made it single player, and move on.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean again, a good game can functionally be identical to another game. The derivative nature isn't the problem. Being shit is the problem, being shit and generic. The reason why this is so fundamental in the chasing trends thing is that in order to chase a trend development has to be quick otherwise your game will miss the boat. PLaystation Destruction All-stars for example, or all the hero battle royal bullshit things we saw at the last playstation showcase like the splatoon knock off, and Marathon's reboot. These are good examples of games that are coming too late to make a mark in the space, and don't have enough good design ideas to make up for the short comings....probably.

Eh, I got bored of Exoprimal during the demo/beta weekend.

The friends I know that bought the (full 80 dollar) game prettymuch were hype about it for like, idj 3 days and have all bounced back to Overwatch or Destiny since.

Its competently executed, which is unsurprising. Capcom hasn't generally had a lot of misses with its base gameplay. But its insanely repetitive and has effectively no interesting visual identity, style, or lore to it. Or even particularly interesting hero-kits. Which sure, you need to fill in your basics for these kind of role-based squad things, but at least put one weird one in. With AFAIK, no indicator of the dreaded "roadmaps" or how any potential further expansion might be delivered (price or otherwise)