Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I've been thinking, does this end with Musk asking for a bailout of Twitter? Citing the horrible damage it would do to the economy and democracy if his dumb little social media app goes under? 'cause its certainly spiraling down, and I can't imagine Musk will just pull the plug on it and declare himself the biggest financial loser of world history. He's gonna ask for a bailout, to be made whole again.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So I've been thinking, does this end with Musk asking for a bailout of Twitter? Citing the horrible damage it would do to the economy and democracy if his dumb little social media app goes under? 'cause its certainly spiraling down, and I can't imagine Musk will just pull the plug on it and declare himself the biggest financial loser of world history. He's gonna ask for a bailout, to be made whole again.
Oh yeah, that does not seem unlikely.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I wonder how Twitter would be allowed to be bailed out if that were the case.
Bailing out SpaceX? They make rocket ships, those are of strategic and scientific importance; I can see that.
Bailing out Tesla? They make electric cars, creating high paying jobs, in a business that is part of the future; I can see that.
Bailing out Twitter? Its' value lies in its wide reach and big userbase, and there are already other social media platforms that could or are in the process of making Twitter alternatives; heck, Donald Trump managed to get one off the ground. I don't think there is enough real meatspace infrastructure invested into it for it to be viable for congress.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm very disappointed I haven't come across a good "X Gon' Give It To Ya" joke yet.
Elon is a shit bag. I would never put him in the same category as DMX or Tyrant-100 Mr. X. That is an insult to both of them.
Ok, this wins the internet for today. I rate it š¯•¸ for eš¯•¸cellent.
Never mind, I just got it now!

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I wonder how Twitter would be allowed to be bailed out if that were the case.
Bailing out SpaceX? They make rocket ships, those are of strategic and scientific importance; I can see that.
Bailing out Tesla? They make electric cars, creating high paying jobs, in a business that is part of the future; I can see that.
Bailing out Twitter? Its' value lies in its wide reach and big userbase, and there are already other social media platforms that could or are in the process of making Twitter alternatives; heck, Donald Trump managed to get one off the ground. I don't think there is enough real meatspace infrastructure invested into it for it to be viable for congress.
Its value lies in conservative talking heads and politicians able to say the dog-whistle stuff on race, Jews and women and get it to their constituents without getting in trouble.
Without it, politicians are back on public television talking about "inner cities" and "loyalty to Israel" and "woke" Barbie. Twitter makes their hate rhetoric easy and snackable.
I can totally see politicians insisting on a bailout, citing free speech and Democracy, when in reality its how they get their constituents mad at the right people and donating.

Reactions: bluegate

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
So I've been thinking, does this end with Musk asking for a bailout of Twitter?
No government is going to pay billions and infuriate millions of their voters bailing out a firm that isn't critical to national interests.

A "bailout" would it being bought by a new owner who thinks there's profit to be made by running properly, with Musk sucking up the losses.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No government is going to pay billions and infuriate millions of their voters bailing out a firm that isn't critical to national interests.

A "bailout" would it being bought by a new owner who thinks there's profit to be made by running properly, with Musk sucking up the losses.
Ah, but it'd hardly surprise me if he asked for a bailout, and had a good whinge when he doesn't get it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I think you're underestimating conservative user of Twitter and how it lets them get in touch with the worst people around. Being able to freely spout Racism, Nazi propaganda or Jewish conspiracies is central to MAGA world and its politicians. You think Marjory Taylor Green would have been elected without ranting and raving about Democratic groomers and trans people on Twitter?
Twitter is the central means of communication for GOP politicians, law makers and talking heads. They would absolutely cite their continued political existence as vital to national interests, and millions of conservative voters would agree with them.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I think you're underestimating conservative user of Twitter and how it lets them get in touch with the worst people around. Being able to freely spout Racism, Nazi propaganda or Jewish conspiracies is central to MAGA world and its politicians. You think Marjory Taylor Green would have been elected without ranting and raving about Democratic groomers and trans people on Twitter?
Twitter is the central means of communication for GOP politicians, law makers and talking heads. They would absolutely cite their continued political existence as vital to national interests, and millions of conservative voters would agree with them.
If Twitter died tomorrow, everyone would be on Threads / Mastodon / .etc in a month. There are already plenty of competitors out there. Twitter's pre-eminence is mostly just that it was first (to grow huge).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...alright Elon. I have a lote-hate relationship with you, but replacing the Twitter bird with an X?

MONSTER! MONSTER I SAY!