What have you learned today?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That's a super power. I can't even mention seeing one on a neighbor's property without it being assumed as an open invite to come chew on me. I forget the exact qualities, but I learned I check a lot of the boxes that attract mosquitoes; mostly, I have brown skin, wear dark clothes, drink alcohol, and smoke cigarettes, and from what I remember, those qualities combine to make for a bright neon "all you can eat" sign visible from a mile away off the interstate. I've tried everything to exterminate them, but I always end up with a "fuck you" in braille on my ankles from mosquito bites. I apply mosquito repellant daily, and it helps, but being covered in sticky chemicals all day four months out of the year doesn't make for a relaxed experience during the hottest days of the summer. I just wait until the first frost of late Fall/early Winter when I fist bump the heavens that the skeeters have died, and I can sit outside in peace with a cocktail and cigarette for a few months.
Only valid if used for the torturing of mosquitoes and not your lungs!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
That's a super power. I can't even mention seeing one on a neighbor's property without it being assumed as an open invite to come chew on me. I forget the exact qualities, but I learned I check a lot of the boxes that attract mosquitoes; mostly, I have brown skin, wear dark clothes, drink alcohol, and smoke cigarettes, and from what I remember, those qualities combine to make for a bright neon "all you can eat" sign visible from a mile away off the interstate. I've tried everything to exterminate them, but I always end up with a "fuck you" in braille on my ankles from mosquito bites. I apply mosquito repellant daily, and it helps, but being covered in sticky chemicals all day four months out of the year doesn't make for a relaxed experience during the hottest days of the summer. I just wait until the first frost of late Fall/early Winter when I fist bump the heavens that the skeeters have died, and I can sit outside in peace with a cocktail and cigarette for a few months.
I've heard that your diet can influence your scent and make you more or less appealing to mosquitoes.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Today, I learnt that Tiken Jah Fakoly's "Un Africain à Paris" is one of many covers with altered nationalities of Sting's original "An Englishman in New York" (I don't know Sting very well).

Reactions: gorfias

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Today I learned that the binturong smells like popcorn (I also learnt what a binturong is)

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Today I learned what a pickle is.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that woman are not specifically barred from competing in the PGA tour. They have their own LPGA tour, but can compete with the men in the PGA should they so choose.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

In the 1800s in the US, two rival paleontologists were involved in a feud that involved them slagging each other off in the press, bribery, hiring dinosaur rustlers to steal fossils, and even using dynamite to destroy fossils to prevent them falling into the other's hands.
Back then, paleontology was so hot that all you had to do was whisper "Apatosaurus" into a lady's ear and her pantaloons would just fly off. Who wouldn't want to fend rivals off for that kind of action?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Watched Ocean's 12 again last night for the 100th time, and my gf made the offhand comment that she loved the soundtrack. I enthusiastically agreed; the music in these films has always been amazing to me. Finally, after nearly two decades of loving these films, I looked up the soundtrack, and holy shit, the Ocean's films were all scored by David Holmes, an artist I've listened to since I was teenager.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
If anyone's gonna launder internet trash in a charismatic enough way I can convince myself it's not poisoning my mind still, it's Boze. Also it's not all trash, but some is maybe more or less I can't tell anymore I'm in too deep already!

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I just found out that Windows 11 copies every picture I clip to copy paste is also copied to my OneDrive and there does not appear to be an easy way to delete all. So as it fills up, MS is going to want money.