Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Twitter is now a subdivision of a wider holding group: this holding group will be running a lot of these other operations as separate companies. Presumably these companies will have access to Twitter code (as Twitter code will presumably be the base to work from), but largely be independent. Plus, of course, presumably Musk can bolster Twitter's bottom line by having these other companies pay Twitter for code access, paid out of their independent budgets and so essentially paid for by investors.
Which other companies ? They simply don't actually exist yet. Twitter is the only one in the X umbrella that is more than an idea of what could possibly be.

There are only vague promises, no buisness plan or any actual investment. Musk has not made any mentions of putting more of his own money on the table and everyone else is just watching.

It is all just empty words. Until anyone actually commits a couple of billions to those plans, the other X-companies get proper names, adresses and buissness plans and hire people, i don't believe it. It is pretty much the same as Musks promises of homes on Mars. Theoretically possible but won't happen.

Also, if twitter goes down, insolvence proceedings will come for the code and data, it it was used elsewhere.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
This is reminding me of that crypto group that wanted to make their NFTs into a comic book and claimed that if they could take "just 1%" of total comic book sales that would be hundreds of millions of dollars. People gave them money because people are fucking morons.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This is reminding me of that crypto group that wanted to make their NFTs into a comic book and claimed that if they could take "just 1%" of total comic book sales that would be hundreds of millions of dollars. People gave them money because people are fucking morons.
1% of total, like of all comic book sales worldwide?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I bet it was actually from carrying that sink into Twitter HQ

Anyway, the robotic wet blanket is weighing in
Ouch! Like, not a great burn, but not a bad one either. Though, not going for a hard target there.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Which other companies ? They simply don't actually exist yet. Twitter is the only one in the X umbrella that is more than an idea of what could possibly be.

There are only vague promises, no buisness plan or any actual investment. Musk has not made any mentions of putting more of his own money on the table and everyone else is just watching.
Well, yes. The whole thing is pie-in-the-sky at the moment. Musk has had a l-o-n-g time to work on his "everything app". He went off and developed Tesla instead.

At a cynical end, of course, this could be viewed as a way of solving Twitter's finance problems (created in large part by him). Twitter was a mature company and speculative investments were unlikely, but if Musk suggests rebuilding it it could be a way of persuading investors to pour money in just like they do with other major startups (Uber, Tesla, etc.)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
(Upon further research, if you had a company of an entire 10,000 people, you might)

Oh, for the good old days when people were investing in bizarre railroad ideas. And at least they sometimes got double decker engines, or inline single track locomotives which kinda worked.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I bet it was actually from carrying that sink into Twitter HQ

Anyway, the robotic wet blanket is weighing in
The current prime minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, was in a similar situation once, where some brash burly senator claimed he could totally win against him in a boxing match, the fight actually happened. Trudeau looks kinda skinny but he's actually athletic, the other guy was just a lound month that looked muscular but wasn't at all. Trudea won really quick iirc, it was pretty embarrassing.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The current prime minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, was in a similar situation once, where some brash burly senator claimed he could totally win against him in a boxing match, the fight actually happened. Trudeau looks kinda skinny but he's actually athletic, the other guy was just a lound month that looked muscular but wasn't at all. Trudea won really quick iirc, it was pretty embarrassing.
My favourite example is Burlingame vs Brooks, where Burlingame provoked Brooks into calling for a duel, then accepted and decided upon rifles as the weapon, whereupon Brooks chickened out, because he was more into beating up unarmed people while his mates scared bystanders away with pistols.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Trudeau looks kinda skinny
I don't think he's skinny at all: I think he's around average (or supposed to be average by a measure like BMI).

If he appears skinny, that's probably from the context that a large number of Westerners are either carrying quite a few more kilos of flab than they need, or by comparison to people doing serious weights to bulk up.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I love how we have institutions fully dedicated to make us believe we've sociallly evolved beyond gorillas.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I just wonder what's wrong with these nerd/business types that they have some macho fantasy that they could also take on Oleksandr Usyk in a fight. Isn't being CEO and largest shareholder of a $500+ billion company enough?
No one with that much money understands the concept of enough. They're also convinced that being good at business means that they are brilliant and great at everything else.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My favorite bit is the dude immediately whining he didn't get more (conveniently leaving out why he was trending in the first place, obvs)

I really want to know if Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino gave this a like too.

Weird, weren't they going to comply with government requests?

That's really unfair to Gorillas. Or any of the Great Apes except for Chimpanzees, who'd give humans a run for their money when it comes to being utter shitbags
Thems fightin words right there

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Chimpanzees have powerful muscles, they are good at leverage, and in a wrestling match would tear you apart. However, they are not built for endurance, or for running.

Interestingly, they are also not built for throwing things very well, humans can throw much harder.

So I recommend in a fight with a chimp, I might recommend you stay back and throw things at it, and run away if it charges you.