Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
external funding is required
Yes, but I'm pessimistic about it. I believe he''ll get the funding. Trump-like self-aggrandizing jerks easily attract money and Musk has this aura of big multi-entrepreneur (SpaceX and Tesla look shiny). Plus he's an absolute asshole, which attracts even more money, for ideological reasons (the same historical ones as always).

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes, but I'm pessimistic about it. I believe he''ll get the funding. Trump-like self-aggrandizing jerks easily attract money and Musk has this aura of big multi-entrepreneur (SpaceX and Tesla look shiny). Plus he's an absolute asshole, which attracts even more money, for ideological reasons (the same historical ones as always).
Yes, he may well do - but at least he may struggle to get the money if many institutional investors view him as unreliable.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And people to trust the thing not to be a horrible shambles. Though, he's still got some cultists, I guess.
Fucking THIS.

Musk broke something as simple as Twitter's 2 factor authentication and caused people to get locked out of their accounts. Is anyone actually going to trust a platform like that with their financial transactions?

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Musk broke something as simple as Twitter's 2 factor authentication and caused people to get locked out of their accounts. Is anyone actually going to trust a platform like that with their financial transactions?
Moreover, why would I want someone who thinks himself above such petty things as government regulations to have my financial information?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Would a vane person attach his dream to a sinking ship only to see it sink?
Cause he believes he can magically stop it from sinking?

Fucking THIS.

People still support Trump, so...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA

He's gonna keep coming up with excuses while also posturing forever
Meanwhile, I can't help but see this as reeking of Musk having a midlife crisis and desperately trying to deny the fact that he's 52.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
People still support Trump, so...
Yes, but how many of them are willing to give him direct access to their bank accounts? I mean, I'm sure it's significantly more than 0, but I'm also pretty sure that the majority of people who support Trump understand that he's a shyster. He's just a shyster they like. There's a difference between giving someone a couple of dollars as a contribution and giving them access to your banking details.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Mark Zuckerberg is going to kill Elon Musk if this fight actually happens. He's younger, he's fitter, and he actually trains in Brazlian Jiu Jitsu. Elon is old, fat, and slow.

The best case scenario here is if Elon Musk passes out from exhaustion 2 minutes in, falls on Zuckerberg and smothers him to death with his man-tits.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yes, but how many of them are willing to give him direct access to their bank accounts? I mean, I'm sure it's significantly more than 0, but I'm also pretty sure that the majority of people who support Trump understand that he's a shyster. He's just a shyster they like. There's a difference between giving someone a couple of dollars as a contribution and giving them access to your banking details.
Well, wanting Trump to lead the country is a bit extreme as well, but yeah, hope you're right.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The best case scenario here is if Elon Musk passes out from exhaustion 2 minutes in, falls on Zuckerberg and smothers him to death with his man-tits.
I can think of

They're telling us that the richest man in the world (or whatever rank he is now) hurt his back years ago and is just getting round to an MRI now?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
They're telling us that the richest man in the world (or whatever rank he is now) hurt his back years ago and is just getting round to an MRI now?
Steve Jobs thought that vitamins might cure his cancer, so why not?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
For what I had gathered, these are no joke. Musk intends to use twitter as a backbone for something different, bigger, allowing more types of data exchange, integrating an AI, facilitating the monetization of anything, and leaning/influencing to the (societal and financial) extreme-right. A global platform distinct from twitter, modelled around the Chinese wechat, and so with its own name, part of a network of Musk-owned companies all named "x something" (such as x.ai, his artificial intelligence company).

It isn't erratic.
It's nonsense.

He more than halved the development team, got the whole world to know of atrocious working conditions, insists that Twitter pays a huge debt in addition to running cost from basically also halved income and wants to make an app ten times more ambitious than twitter ever has been ?

It won't ever happen. He might get some idiots to throw money at his vision but not even that will make it work.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It's nonsense.

He more than halved the development team, got the whole world to know of atrocious working conditions, insists that Twitter pays a huge debt in addition to running cost from basically also halved income and wants to make an app ten times more ambitious than twitter ever has been ?

It won't ever happen. He might get some idiots to throw money at his vision but not even that will make it work.
Not necessarily.

Twitter is now a subdivision of a wider holding group: this holding group will be running a lot of these other operations as separate companies. Presumably these companies will have access to Twitter code (as Twitter code will presumably be the base to work from), but largely be independent. Plus, of course, presumably Musk can bolster Twitter's bottom line by having these other companies pay Twitter for code access, paid out of their independent budgets and so essentially paid for by investors.

Also, at least in theory, Twitter can collapse and be shut down, and all these other companies can keep going - although any work they might be doing towards a fully integrated "WeChat" style platform might be hard to justify to investors without Twitter still going.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Mark Zuckerberg is going to kill Elon Musk if this fight actually happens. He's younger, he's fitter, and he actually trains in Brazlian Jiu Jitsu. Elon is old, fat, and slow.
I just wonder what's wrong with these nerd/business types that they have some macho fantasy that they could also take on Oleksandr Usyk in a fight. Isn't being CEO and largest shareholder of a $500+ billion company enough?