• Total voters

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Don't know why he bothered with scenes like that in the movie about a nuclear bomb.

Pretty much why I avoid a majority of his work. They either go on for too long, or go overboard in explaining things like in in Inception.
Well it's not a movie about the nuclear bomb, it's about Oppenheimer. The issue is, most people only care about him in regards to his work on the bomb, so in order to make us care about his relations, they seemed to want to use her to try and humanize him and inject an issue that's more well known to regular people. I don't think it worked. I felt like there were other parts of the movie that were more relevant to the bomb and better humanized him.

Didn't realize that was the new Black Widow. I think it is the 1st nudity in a Nolan directed movie.
Included just to get some notoriety and the money that follows??
I think it showed that in reality, Oppenheimer was much closer to Communists than US powers should feel comfortable with. Further that he is cold enough to drive a lover to suicide. In reality? Did someone take her out and just make it look like suicide? And the final act seems to follow the narrative that the establishment's discomfort with Oppenheimer's politics was totally unjustified. I don't think it was that simple, though, I'm sure there were many powerful people that wanted him to shut up. But I thought it mostly loud, uncomfortable and unnecessary. I did, however, love the very, very ending with Einstein.
I don't think I'd call that driving her to suicide.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Barbie (2023)

Broadly, the movie is pretty good - witty, with lots of neat references to the toy (and its various commercial and artistic mis-steps over the years), funny, and sometimes moving. Obviously, it was likely to - and did - enrage a substantial number of conservatives through commentary on gender politics, but it shouldn't cause a problem for most people. However, I think for me the film fell short of of greatness in the final third where my attention began to drift because I feel it lost fluidity and coherence in the execution. This was a shame after the strong start and middle, but not enough to ruin the movie and I'd happily recommend it.
I too was really let down by the third act, which is a shame. I've mentioned my criticisms to people, and they straight up said they didn't care because they liked the rest of it that much. Which is fair really, who am I to tell people what they should like. But I do get annoyed by those who claim that the Kens weren't mistreated, both before and after they revolted. Does that make the movie men-hating? No, but it does make it a poorer movie that Barbieland basically returns to the status quo.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I still cant understand how he got anyone to torture, he's that incompetent. Who looks at War Pig and thinks they be anything close to perfection
I don't think the High Evolutionary is meant to have a real point - he's just a big snarling asshole. Which is why the choice of actor would make or break this character. The one thing that actually bothered me was how he apparently made the Sovreign, who look and act completely human, have a functioning society, but still aren't right to him. But then I guess that feeds into him never feeling like anything is good enough, even a species literally made of gold.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I don't think the High Evolutionary is meant to have a real point - he's just a big snarling asshole. Which is why the choice of actor would make or break this character. The one thing that actually bothered me was how he apparently made the Sovreign, who look and act completely human, have a functioning society, but still aren't right to him. But then I guess that feeds into him never feeling like anything is good enough, even a species literally made of gold.
I think thats definitely a weakpoint in the film. The high evolutionary isn't interesting hes just a lunatic. In the case of the sovreign I think its because they are idiots and not "physically" up to his standards as towards the end its evident he wants his creation to be brilliant but also not need sleep and run for hours.

He lacks the complexity of Thanos or Baron Zemo who had empathetic goals. Hes more of an Ultron, more cartoon villain.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Mr. Church: So Sweet, My Teeth Rotted Out Of My Mouth / Great

Eddie Murphy plays Mr. Church, a man who has been effectively willed into the service of a deceased man's ex lover and her young daughter. Turns out the woman has terminal cancer, and the young girl is not happy having Murphy around. The woman was given 6 months to live, but ends up surviving for several years, and Murphy stays with them the entire time. They form bonds. They become family.

Really good movie. It extracted a tear or two by the end. It was oddly billed as a comedy, likely by someone at Amazon who say Murphy was in it, and typed "comedy" in the description out of gross negligence/ignorance. It has a few humorous moments, but I'd put this nowhere near the Comedy section of my local video store. It was warm, bittersweet, and sad basically throughout. Watching Mr. Church exist as the sole, reliable constant in the life of a young girl who becomes a young woman who then becomes a young mother herself was very touching. Recommended, but bring a tissue.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think thats definitely a weakpoint in the film. The high evolutionary isn't interesting hes just a lunatic. In the case of the sovreign I think its because they are idiots and not "physically" up to his standards as towards the end its evident he wants his creation to be brilliant but also not need sleep and run for hours.

He lacks the complexity of Thanos or Baron Zemo who had empathetic goals. Hes more of an Ultron, more cartoon villain.
I don't think that's a bad thing. Zemo is kinda boring anyway. GotG3 at one point name-drops Robocop in regards to the Evolutionary, and it fits in more ways than one. That movie also has villains that aren't deep or complex, they're just fucking evil. Same as Biff from Back to the Future, Saris from Galaxy Quest, or Doc Ock from Into the Spider-Verse. Villians who are still engaging eventhough (or maybe because) they're just big assholes. The Evolutionary gets introduced snatching a scared, baby raccoon away from his litter and then torturing it; that's really all we need to know. He's just evil. The movie even has Quill making fun of him for his attempt at being deep and meaningful. Honestly how I felt about Zemo while watching Civil War - 'Okay yeah, bla bla bla your family died, so now your a bad guy. :rolleyes:'

And the actor sells it. I mean, Ronan from GotG1 was a big asshole, but because of the acting the whole character felt very bland. But Chudwudi Iwuji made the evil of the High Evolutionary feel genuine. Again, similar to Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker in Robocop.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And the actor sells it. I mean, Ronan from GotG1 was a big asshole, but because of the acting the whole character felt very bland. But Chudwudi Iwuji made the evil of the High Evolutionary feel genuine. Again, similar to Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker in Robocop
The same reason people love Jack Horner from Puss n' Boots 2. He's just an entertaining asshole that you love to hate. Something that had been lacking for a while. Not every medium suffered from this, but there was a point where too many people were trying to make sympathetic villains, and they are either unintentionally unsympathetic, or just plain boring and became less interesting because of it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The same reason people love Jack Horner from Puss n' Boots 2. He's just an entertaining asshole that you love to hate. Something that had been lacking for a while. Not every medium suffered from this, but there was a point where too many people were trying to make sympathetic villains, and they are either unintentionally unsympathetic, or just plain boring and became less interesting because of it.
And it similarly has a scene where it plays around with Jack maybe being more than just a bad guy, maybe there's some depth to his actions, but then goes 'nope, he's just fucking evil'. It's difficult to make a complex villain, but's almost as difficult to sell a straight up evil bastard. And I love when they manage to do that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And it similarly has a scene where it plays around with Jack maybe being more than just a bad guy, maybe there's some depth to his actions, but then goes 'nope, he's just fucking evil'. It's difficult to make a complex villain, but's almost as difficult to sell a straight up evil bastard. And I love when they manage to do that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Bought tickets to see Gran Turismo. Showed up at the theater, guy scanned our tickets, and directed us to the theater. The LED marquee above the theater said it was The Meg 2. I asked one of the personnel about the "mix up," and he assured me it was probably just a mistake. Lights went down, and The Meg 2 began. Didn't realize that Gran Turismo doesn't come out until the 25th, but no one or thing stopped us from gaining entrance to the show. So...

The Meg 2: About All You Could Reasonably Expect / Great

Jason Statham is Jason Statham in the sequel to a film about prehistoric sharks menacing the local population.

Really stupid B-film with a budget unbefitting it's worth. I checked out when Statham exited a research facility situated at 25,000 feet under water, with no gear whatsoever, and survived with only a nosebleed. This was acknowledged and explained away by some MacGuffin about pressurizing his sinuses or some shit; it was so stupid, I couldn't even bother to try and understand it. I know the old stereotype about black people talking in movie theaters, and I fell right into when I said, out loud, "that is complete bullshit!" The couple behind us laughed. The rest of the film is basically just more of the same asinine incredulousness.

That said, it was free, and apparently, our tickets to Gran Turismo are still valid, so aside from my time, nothing was wasted.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Bought tickets to see Gran Turismo. Showed up at the theater, guy scanned our tickets, and directed us to the theater. The LED marquee above the theater said it was The Meg 2. I asked one of the personnel about the "mix up," and he assured me it was probably just a mistake. Lights went down, and The Meg 2 began. Didn't realize that Gran Turismo doesn't come out until the 25th, but no one or thing stopped us from gaining entrance to the show. So...

Jason Statham is Jason Statham in the sequel to a film about prehistoric sharks menacing the local population.

Really stupid B-film with a budget unbefitting it's worth. I checked out when Statham exited a research facility situated at 25,000 feet under water, with no gear whatsoever, and survived with only a nosebleed. This was acknowledged and explained away by some MacGuffin about pressurizing his sinuses or some shit; it was so stupid, I couldn't even bother to try and understand it. I know the old stereotype about black people talking in movie theaters, and I fell right into when I said, out loud, "that is complete bullshit!" The couple behind us laughed. The rest of the film is basically just more of the same asinine incredulousness.

That said, it was free, and apparently, our tickets to Gran Turismo are still valid, so aside from my time, nothing was wasted.
I will bring up the fact that this was directed by Ben Wheatley every time it's discussed because it's so wild to see the guy who directed A Field in England and Sightseers attached to The Meg 2: The Trench starring Jason Statham. I hope he got paid well. (Genuinely, he seems like a nice guy, I want him to have a fulfilling career)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Really stupid B-film with a budget unbefitting it's worth. I checked out when Statham exited a research facility situated at 25,000 feet under water, with no gear whatsoever, and survived with only a nosebleed.
25,000 feet? Not only is that very silly, the actual escape procedure from submarines at depths of say, 100 feet is pretty interesting (wearing a lifejacket), IMHO, you could do a lot of drama with that.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I was desperately killing time on a boring destination wedding trip in a resort, sheltering from the heat (I am NOT a beach guy) and watched these two movies on local network TV while dicking around on my phone and whatever. They both have a bunch of stars, some of who I actually do like, but I never heard of them which is generally a sign they suck and... yeah.

The Other Guys
A meta-buddy-cop comedy starring Will Farrell and Mark Wahlberg, both actors who I can take or leave depending on the movie. This movie also throws a ton of other celebs in smaller roles like Michael Keaton, The Rock, Sam Jackson, and Eva Mendez. The premise is cute- the title refers to the guys in the police department in an action movie who are not the glamorous action stars, the guys the do the paperwork. But the gags are so corny and cliche and they just double down on the bad jokes. Most painful is the reveal the ultra-nerd-nice-guy Ferrell was actually a literal pimp at some point and that's why he negs his hot wife... it's that perfect mix of bad comedy where they are trying to go there with the political incorrectness but when you do that you have to actually be funny (like Tropic Thunder), but it's not, it's so dumb.

The Other Woman
Three women unite and become friends in order to take revenge on the same dude they all been seeing. The dude is the guy that plays Jamie Lannister, the wife is Leslie Mann, the primary mistress is Cameron Diaz- with the latter two being really the main characters- and halfway through the movie you get (insanely hot) model Kate Upton as the 2nd mistress. In order to make the 3 women sympathetic they are ignorant of evil man's machinations and they immediately unite when they realize their common cause. As with the first movie, I wouldn't mind the stupid premise if the jokes were good but they are not. Trading in tropes from like the 50s for gender norms and 90s for character tropes (e.g,, Cameron Diaz is a high powered lawyer that can somehow find time for all of Mann's antics and Upton the model plays a model who is kinda dumb but sweet).

Leslie Mann is a welcome presence as a small role (she's the one that threw up daqueries on the 40 yr Old Virgin) but without a strong script, her thing doesn't work as a main character for me.
The worst part was when they start to take revenge on the dude, which should be the most cathartic part, they start by resorting to petty juvenile pranks for a gag and it's so bad. I mean I would say "cringe" but I have seen that word now being used way too much by idiots on the internet.

Then on the plane trips back I decided to continue John Wick movies, the first of which I also saw on a plane so it's my plane franchise I guess.

John Wick Chapter 2 and John Wick Chapter 3- Parabellum
lol parabellum ok...
Anyway... bang bang. So stupid. These movies are so stupid! They take the ridiculous underground secret assassin world briefly introduced in the first movie and make it a whole lore-building nonsense to the point where like every homeless person in NYC, cab driver, food stall vendor, and even random pedestrian is some secret agent spy assassin. LIke... in the world of John Wick, how does anything else in the world even happen if everybody is busy ninja-killing each other?

I know, I know, the action- yeah, it's fine. You know, it's weird- the main guy that can kill millions of people is not some Bruce Lee karate master or some big hulking super dude like The Rock, it's just... a guy. I guess that's the appeal. Nothing he does looks superhuman he's just supposed to be more skilled. And that starts to look pretty cool.
Of course the suspension of disbelief must be extreme as, in the 2nd film especially, he wears a suit with armor lining so he can go around getting shot but no one things to aim for his head! It was so dumb lol.
The 2nd movie has Common as an antagonist and opponent which was amusing and also a deaf chick who was really disappointing in the end. The 3rd movie had this dude I recognized in other things and he was the best character- an enemy but also fanboy of Wick. The 3rd movie just is MORE MORE MORE hitting an apex with a super long gun fight where Keanu teams up with Halle Berry and a dog and it was great/dumb.
Perfect plane movies.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I will bring up the fact that this was directed by Ben Wheatley every time it's discussed because it's so wild to see the guy who directed A Field in England and Sightseers attached to The Meg 2: The Trench starring Jason Statham. I hope he got paid well. (Genuinely, he seems like a nice guy, I want him to have a fulfilling career)
I'm not familiar with Wheatley, but if he has shown talent/promise in other films and has any modicum of respect about himself and his work, I'd offer this shit-show was a payday, nothing more.

25,000 feet? Not only is that very silly, the actual escape procedure from submarines at depths of say, 100 feet is pretty interesting (wearing a lifejacket), IMHO, you could do a lot of drama with that.
Yeah, twice as deep as the Titanic wreckage (y'know, about where the Titan was when it imploded due to the pressure and killed 5 people?), and Statham effectively pinched his nose and swam, in his street clothes, to another section of the research facility.

I know Hollywood isn't in the habit of making documentaries to fill theaters, but sometimes the complete and overt disregard they have for our intelligence goes too far. I've seen the car chases, gunfights, ostensibly lethal falls where the hero just stands up and brushes off the dust; fine, whatever. But no amount of "tough guy" or "improbable, but possible" suspension of disbelief could make that scene anywhere near dismissable. You're absolutely right; an equally compelling scene could have been executed at more reasonable depths to the same effect.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

What’s amazing is that it wasn’t caught by staff when they gave you the actual tickets for a movie that’s not even out yet lol. Oh well. And it really isn’t *complete* bullshit when one realizes that Statham is basically carbon fiber in the flesh, or something like that.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with Wheatley, but if he has shown talent/promise in other films and has any modicum of respect about himself and his work, I'd offer this shit-show was a payday, nothing more.

Yeah, twice as deep as the Titanic wreckage (y'know, about where the Titan was when it imploded due to the pressure and killed 5 people?), and Statham effectively pinched his nose and swam, in his street clothes, to another section of the research facility.

I know Hollywood isn't in the habit of making documentaries to fill theaters, but sometimes the complete and overt disregard they have for our intelligence goes too far. I've seen the car chases, gunfights, ostensibly lethal falls where the hero just stands up and brushes off the dust; fine, whatever. But no amount of "tough guy" or "improbable, but possible" suspension of disbelief could make that scene anywhere near dismissable. You're absolutely right; an equally compelling scene could have been executed at more reasonable depths to the same effect.

You know, I’d pay good money to see a dark comedy that basically riffs on this bs but applies real life consequences as the punchline.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What’s amazing is that it wasn’t caught by staff when they gave you the actual tickets for a movie that’s not even out yet lol. Oh well. And it really isn’t *complete* bullshit when one realizes that Statham is basically carbon fiber in the flesh, or something like that.
Bought the tickets online not noticing the thumbnail clearly said "ADVANCED TICKETS," but yeah, the fact I was able to print them at at the kiosk when we got to the theater, and the the ticket check guy scanned them and pointed us towards the theater, AND when I asked someone on the staff why the theater said "The Meg 2" on the theater's LED, and they said it was probably just a mistake, it's clear there is a failure of management and processes on display.

You know, I’d pay good money to see a dark comedy that basically riffs on this bs but applies real life consequences as the punchline.
One of my favorite scenes from It's Always Sunny...

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Wheatley's made quite a few good films, if you like strange and unsettling psychological thrillers and black comedies. Kill List, Sightseers, A Field in England, High Rise, Free Fire, and In the Earth are all worth watching. I'm a particular fan of A Field in England, a very small scale and psychedelic period piece about English civil war deserters having a nightmarish encounter with a wizard in the titular field.

Reactions: Xprimentyl