Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Seems to me there's simpler and more effective ways of doing that.
Well, yes, but I imagine the simple and effective ways are used all the time, and we just don't hear about it, it's just the oddball one that got in the news.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, yes, but I imagine the simple and effective ways are used all the time, and we just don't hear about it, it's just the oddball one that got in the news.
I suppose. "Peruvian villagers browbeaten by armed thugs" doesn't have the same ring as "flying aliens are actually jetpack miners"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I was helping my sister with her math homework, and she literally started nosebleeding all over her paper. I'd love to know what will go through her teacher's mind when she checks it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It's been a while since I've really been scared of something so forgive me for thinking it was no big deal to watch some random video about a thing called The Backrooms.

But no... Fuck me. I had to stumble upon a modern savant of the art of horror and filmmaking and get so scared that I stay up till midnight before I feel like Im over it enough to sleep.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's been a while since I've really been scared of something so forgive me for thinking it was no big deal to watch some random video about a thing called The Backrooms.

But no... Fuck me. I had to stumble upon a modern savant of the art of horror and filmmaking and get so scared that I stay up till midnight before I feel like Im over it enough to sleep.

Huh, that was pretty good, and there's a whole channel with lots more of it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not just pretty good. It's damn good. The dude is apparently only 17 and he's been hired to make a movie based on these videos. I'm not just giving empty praise, legit, this guy is a savant of horror.
Hard to judge just from that one, a full length movie (or perhaps the series of videos, only saw the one) would be a better test. Not saying that it was bad work or anything, though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, watched the rest (that I could find, some are unlisted).
It's one thing to make a short scary segment, it's another to make a consistent and logic (ish) larger thing out of it.

What's with the dead guy covered in fungus? What's with the monsters? Ah, so the fungus turns dead (maybe) people into monsters. That's clever, brings those two elements together.

What's the dodgy company want? Ah, so they aren't that dodgy, just looking for storage space? Ok, that's weird and doesn't make too much sense, but it works. They could have taken the monster more seriously that putting up a particle board wall, and giving one random a shotgun, but ok...kinda trying? I do like how they start marking the floors and giving people safety lines...after Tench goes missing.

So, it holds up, though I wonder if more can be added to the story without it falling apart.

Also, apparently in the first vid, it was just the camera that fell to Earth, i thought the camera operator fell to his death as well.

Though, I've never heard of the Backrooms internet thing this is based on, and some of it might have made more sense if I had.

Also, while I'm not a fan of found footage, I do like Analog Horror, possibly because I watch a lot of real analog stuff and it is often horrific anyway, made during the cold war and the like.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This whole tiktok npc thing is getting hard to parse whether its sincere or satire.