General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today on Fuckonami.

Apparently MGS2 and 3 in the upcoming master collection are just straight ports of the PS360 era hd collection, at least on Switch. They didn't even change the '© 2012 Konami' on the title screen. Except they're actually worse, because the originals ran at 60, while Switch is capped to 30, with slowdown in places. And according to some other sources I've read there's other cutbacks too, like lower texture quality.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Today on Fuckonami.

Apparently MGS2 and 3 in the upcoming master collection are just straight ports of the PS360 era hd collection, at least on Switch. They didn't even change the '© 2012 Konami' on the title screen. Except they're actually worse, because the originals ran at 60, while Switch is capped to 30, with slowdown in places. And according to some other sources I've read there's other cutbacks too, like lower texture quality.
Wow, it's Rockstar and Konami all over again. Thanks for the warning. No buy for me. Fuck Konami indeed.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Charles Martinet no longer voicing Mario is like Tom Kenny no longer voicing Spongebob. They ARE that character, and I can't imagine anyone else voicing them.
Wow, didn't give him the job of voicing Mario in the movie and now they fire him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Charles Martinet no longer voicing Mario is like Tom Kenny no longer voicing Spongebob. They ARE that character, and I can't imagine anyone else voicing them.
Nothing lasts forever. I am surprised that it did happen this soon though. Thank you for everything Charles. You've done so much for gamers everywhere.

Wow, didn't give him the job of voicing Mario in the movie and now they fire him.
They didn't fire him completely. He's still getting paid for this ambassador position. So Nintendo didn't leave them completely high and dry, but I get your sentiments.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
1692635644337.jpeg

If they got rid of the welcome box and made the menu selections font stand out a bit more without the grey boxes it would look cleaner. Also not sure if the planet/star are animated but that would help. Nothing wrong with minimalism.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
View attachment 9488

If they got rid of the welcome box and made the menu selections font stand out a bit more without the grey boxes it would look cleaner. Also not sure if the planet/star are animated but that would help. Nothing wrong with minimalism.
The Welcome box definitely needs to go. I would also get rid of the boxy ui for the menu itself and maybe just integrate the options into the black portion of the screen, slightly bigger and a little more spaced out. Then I'd give the menu some animation like perhaps giving the planet some rotation, or have small ships zip from behind the planet occasionally. Something to give it a little bit of life.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Today on Fuckonami.

I feel like nearly every port that comes to switch has that 30 fps cap. Probably hardware limitations, but I would never play games that can be played better on other platforms unless Switch is the only console that I own.

What really annoys me is that Twin Snakes is always never included in these collections. I think it's because of Nintendo/Silicon Knights owning the rights to the port on the GameCube. I mean I get why people hate it and don't want, but I personally think there are lots of great things about the game and loved it. And it just feels like Nintendo can very least bring it over to Switch.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I feel like nearly every port that comes to switch has that 30 fps cap. Probably hardware limitations
Nah, there have been various ports of PS360 era games on Switch and most of them offer either better resolution or better/more stable framerate, sometimes both, over the original. And despite its rep for being a weak, Switch is more capable than either 360 or PS3. That the Master Collection can't replicate the performance of the original MGS2/3 HD on weaker hardware doesn't strike me as indicative of Switch hardware limitations, but of Konami cheaping out hard.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Pete Hines on the whole Starfield menu screen debacle:

I would love to agree with Pete here, but the problem is Bethesda has a track record of crappy launches and games being big as a pacific but shallow as a kitty pool. Which Starfield is already showing tons of bad signs of.

Seriously, if you are gonna complain then focus on the real issues. The menu screen should be the LEAST of worries

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I would love to agree with Pete here, but the problem is Bethesda has a track record of crappy launches and games being big as a pacific but shallow as a kitty pool. Which Starfield is already showing tons of bad signs of.

Seriously, if you are gonna complain then focus on the real issues. The menu screen should be the LEAST of worries
I agree with Pete, and I agree with Grumpz. I think the title screen is pretty poor all things considered, but I also don't think it's worth attacking the devs over. If that's been the title screen for years, then I question the other decisions they've been making with the game, because I think this screen is a good placeholder title screen until the artists and graphics designers can make a better one. Then again Bethesda isn't really invested in title screens anyway because Skyrim was just the logo symbol with plan text on it so....whatever.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Seems like a shame, in as much that Polynesian mythology isn't seen much.

...the feck is a "Mario Ambassador"? Is he going to represent the Mushroom Kingdom in the UN?
Well, the Mushroom Kingdom is (or should be) facing sanctions for being in a state of absolute monarchy where rights are denied, not to mention how unstable it is due to Bowser's constant coup attempts. I know we're all burnt on this, but maybe it's time for military intervention?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seems like a shame, in as much that Polynesian mythology isn't seen much.
Sad indeed, but if Ubisoft truly cared, they would have greenlit. The bastards know they can more than afford a second game.

Well, the Mushroom Kingdom is (or should be) facing sanctions for being in a state of absolute monarchy where rights are denied, not to mention how unstable it is due to Bowser's constant coup attempts. I know we're all burnt on this, but maybe it's time for military intervention?
No. I don't need the UN, US, nor UK fucking things up even further in the Mushroom Kingdom. Especially in Sarasalnd. Stay away from Daisy!

Reactions: Hawki