General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Alright, I dug through this thread a bit, and here's all the Starfield red flags that I found:
  • No sex scenes, but NPCs will talk a lot about their kinks (modders will fix that)
  • On Xbox, the game will run at 30 fps
  • Starfield has been one of the top sellers on steam, which will no doubt just make the glass house bigger
  • The game is supposed to be the least bug-free Bethesda game.
  • Todd Howard said it'll be a "modder heaven", meaning less work for folks at Bethesda
    • Kinda a good thing too, because I can see all the sci-fi pop-culture mods coming in
  • No physical disc for the collector's edition (standard edition still has it)
  • Devs saying the game is getting some "undeserved" toxicity.
  • No playable demo at gamescom, or any other major gaming events until now
As for the review embargo, well so far Skill Up has been the only one talking about it, and we have no idea if this is gonna be the same for other reviewers

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wait, why's Karai fighting the Foot Clan? Or am I thinking about this too much?
Given Karai never existed in the 1987 version (she was always in the comics first and didn't make her animation debut until 2003), I'm assuming they retconned her in there somehow. Whatever in the manual backstory they have for her, she has more than likely betrayed the foot clan or splintered off in her own direction. This isn't the first time she has done that. Karai was always the gray shaded character in most continuities.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah possibly. Maybe he was told that he wasn't getting a Review copy from someone, but then got another e-mail with a review copy so he deleted the tweet? That'd be my guess, miscommunications happen and he probably should have waited a couple days before tweeting that in either case.
The tweet was deleted methinks. Do you have a TLDR?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The tweet was SkillUp saying that he wasn't getting a review copy of Starfield and would have to wait until after launch to do his review.
Review embargo is up 8 hours before early access launch but a couple of day before real lauch date, why make a release simple when you can make it complicated?

As for size, its not very surprising that its bigger than BG3, top down game can get away with lower res poly compare to FPS, where player will see some object very close. Anyway, size is kinda meaningless as a metric these days, conan exile is even bigger than that at something like 170 gb, and its a port of an old game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Review embargo is up 8 hours before early access launch but a couple of day before real lauch date, why make a release simple when you can make it complicated?

As for size, its not very surprising that its bigger than BG3, top down game can get away with lower res poly compare to FPS, where player will see some object very close. Anyway, size is kinda meaningless as a metric these days, conan exile is even bigger than that at something like 170 gb, and its a port of an old game.
Conan Exiles also has like, 7 years of updates and expansions on its original game.

Though yeah, Bethesda game is big is obviously not news. (and probably bloated. You get 2 spaces on the bingo card if you find some old Morrowind files still in there like in all the ohters lol)

The only devs I've seen manage to efficiently do this stuff is ID (ironically Bethesda owns them, but can't seem to apply their technical ability to.... anything else), and Warframe (who manage once or twice a year to release patches that shrink the game by several gigabytes, lol)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Given Karai never existed in the 1987 version (she was always in the comics first and didn't make her animation debut until 2003),

Joke's on you, scrub! :p

(Yeah, I know, apparently the games and cartoon are considered separate continuities, for whatever reason. 0_0)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Joke's on you, scrub!
Not really, since I played both of those versions of Tournament Fighters when I was a kid.

(Yeah, I know, apparently the games and cartoon are considered separate continuities, for whatever reason. 0_0)
Note how I said animated debut and not video game debut. Even with those two games, there were many non-OG comic Turtles fans who did not know who Karai was until 2003, thought she was made specifically for the Tournament Fighters games, or thought she was a replacement for and an expy of Tatsu (from TMNT 1990 & II). When it reality, it was the other way around.

Last edited: