Ukraine

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

No, I am not making a thread on this. But I know now that HIMARs may be able to strike naval vessels, and that is why they are so accurate. Very interesting.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Can't help but feel this will either 'wake Russians up' (to borrow a phrase from the radio) to the realities of war, or harden resolve to continue it.

TBH, I'm actually betting the latter. :(

Reactions: Dalisclock

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Can't help but feel this will either 'wake Russians up' (to borrow a phrase from the radio) to the realities of war, or harden resolve to continue it.

If Ukraine could meaningfully savage Russian cities it would do the latter, because it would make Ukraine feel like a very real threat to Russia and the population. That's a good reason why Ukraine shouldn't try to flatten bits of Russia. Dropping the odd bomb here and there probably isn't enough to generate a sense of threat that would motivate people to greater resolve, but tickles awareness and makes it harder to forget there's a war "special military operation" on and so may contribute to Russian war exhaustion. It might also serve as a small morale boost to Ukrainians that they can strike back.

But what Ukraine really needs is a major battlefield victory and recovery of territory. As we can see, it does not currently have the ability to do so against the very heavily prepared defenses Russia put up over the winter of 22/23. The reason it's probably most successfully pushed back around Bakhmut is that that's somewhere the Russians hadn't had time to beef up with a lot of defences.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
No strictly speaking about Ukraine, but hampered due to isolation due to the invasion of Ukraine, whilst intended to show what they can do without help from the West:

In Kerbal Space Program, that's a successful lithobrake landing.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
No strictly speaking about Ukraine, but hampered due to isolation due to the invasion of Ukraine, whilst intended to show what they can do without help from the West:
Nothing to see here. It was clearly an impactor probe that was meant to do that. Putin is just executing his nine dimensional chess master plan to bring about global communism.. any day now..

The general history of strategic bombing suggests as much, particularly when the target is an authoritarian country where the population can't actually do anything to express their frustration.

But there are often military, government or infrastructural targets inside cities which might be worth bombing simply because of the disruption it might cause to the war effort.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

I'm surprised they didn't just say it fell out of a window.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Scratch 1 Russian Bomber. That's one of the nice ones too.

Just waiting for the inevitable " Red Line #6284 has been crossed. Be afraid, Westiods" posturing from Russia.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I love the Russian comment that the attack "damaged" a plane.
Personally I liked the description of it as a "terrorist" act. So they're saying that destruction of a purely military vehicle, of a country currently invading their own, is "terrorism". Term has lost the last vestige of meaning for those fucking clowns.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally I liked the description of it as a "terrorist" act. So they're saying that destruction of a purely military vehicle, of a country currently invading their own, is "terrorism". Term has lost the last vestige of meaning for those fucking clowns.
Yeah, I noticed that, but then how else are they supposed to spin it? Not like calling the enemy a terrorist is a new thing.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I love the Russian comment that the attack "damaged" a plane.

Going by the picture, that's not exactly just tightening a few screws and a fresh lick of paint required.
"The patient has sustained injuries but is holding stable."
"Doctor, the patient was decapitated."
"And they're maintaining that status quite well."

I would call the Russian military a bunch of clowns, but clowns get better training. And better pay.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Noticed that trend as well.

But what could they do ? They go into prison if they call the war a war. They are officially totally at peace with the ukraine, only having some minor military operation against nazis and terrorists there. So obviously it must be a terrorist attack, not an act of warfare.

For the same reason they don't call the Ukrainian army an army, only a group of "militants".

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
A day after throwing out a video about being in Africa, the boss of Wagner is dead, if Russian sources are to be believed.

If he's actually dead, anyone taking bets on accident versus assassination? I'm betting on the latter.