Ukraine

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

"I might not be able to adequately defend my points to convince you, but at least I can sound superior"
You should know as well as anyone that the quality of argumentation is not related to whether a conclusion is true or false. If I cared about sounding superior, I'd be wasting my time debating somewhat trivial points like "which is worse, these nazis or these other nazis?" instead of mostly presenting new information or perspectives.

As is putting in even a modicum of source criticism, or acknowledging clear errors in the shit you post once they're pointed out.
Yeah, whatever. Apropos of nothing, have you realized that Starmer is a giant pile of shit yet or do I have even less reason to value your opinion about "acknowledging clear errors"?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, whatever. Apropos of nothing, have you realized that Starmer is a giant pile of shit yet or do I have even less reason to value your opinion about "acknowledging clear errors"?
I've been quire aware of that for a long while, and have already said so quite often. Have you realised yet that imperial annexation is wrong regardless of which flag the imperialists fly, or do I have even less reason to believe you give a shit about the victims of conflict?

If I cared about sounding superior, I'd be wasting my time debating somewhat trivial points like "which is worse, these nazis or these other nazis?" instead of mostly presenting new information or perspectives.
What a terrible joke. You've been insistently banging on about exactly that for pages and pages. Your primary approach thus far has been to falsely portray it as a far larger, worse problem in one country than the other, in order to make unilateral invasion by the latter seem less grotesque.

Besides which, there's a very relevant reason to point out Russia's employment and financing of Nazi paramilitaries: it shows that their stated aim of "de-Nazification" is a sham, a pretence for other motives.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, the schoolbook writing parts of the administration are quick off the ball and efficient, are they? Does that just make everyone else look worse?

(Ok, obviously I've not read the thing, could be rubbish. Um, as well as being rubbish for other reasons, you know what I mean)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Did they remember to include Putin's quick and glorious victory and the destruction of Western imperialism?
I look forward to reading about the glorious 3 day special military operation and how it brought Ukraine to it's knees.

No questions will be allowed. Any backtalk will result in mandatory vacation to Lake Laogai

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I look forward to reading about the glorious 3 day special military operation and how it brought Ukraine to it's knees.

No questions will be allowed. Any backtalk will result in mandatory vacation to Lake Laogai
What military operation? There is no war in Ukraine...

Reactions: Dalisclock

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Did they remember to include Putin's quick and glorious victory and the destruction of Western imperialism?
It's planned.
“We completely rewrote the sections ‘70s’, ‘80s’, ‘90s’ and ‘2000s’. A new section has been added from 2014 to the present, including the special military operation,”
“After the end of the special military operation [in Ukraine], after our victory, we will further supplement this book.”

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Its funny how Russia has such a damning view of Napoleon for marching on Russia. Throughout that conflict Russia was very much the aggressor. They unleashed hostilities against France to prop up the ancient regime, and because they wanted to keep hold of Poland. The famous march on Russia only happened because Russia would go on to break the peace agreements they made with Napoleon after he had defeated them. Now those agreements and the alignment with the continental system it forced might not have been to Russia interest, but Napoleon was still mostly valid to fight a hostile and untrustworthy Russia.

Russia's trauma towards Hitler's invasion is more valid though we should never forget that prior to this invasion Hitler and Stalin schemed together to trigger the European front of the second world war. Now that the red army didn't liberate anything but just replaced one insane genocidal dictatorship with a slightly less insane genocidal dictatorship.

Its a common argument that Russia's hunger for land stems from being traumatized by repeated European invasions, but this would be taking an interpretation too favorable towards Russia. Usually its the entity spreading into Russia rather than getting invaded, and in times when Europe marches on Moscow then Russia hardly comes off particularly well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Its a common argument that Russia's hunger for land stems from being traumatized by repeated European invasions, but this would be taking an interpretation too favorable towards Russia. Usually its the entity spreading into Russia rather than getting invaded, and in times when Europe marches on Moscow then Russia hardly comes off particularly well.
Well, there's also the Mongols. That's not to excuse Russia's actions, but it's a historical postulation I've seen many times that the Mongols tyranizing the Rus did have knock-on effects, ranging from Russia lagging behind western Europe (which wasn't decimated) to a wariness of outside forces.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Well, there's also the Mongols. That's not to excuse Russia's actions, but it's a historical postulation I've seen many times that the Mongols tyranizing the Rus did have knock-on effects, ranging from Russia lagging behind western Europe (which wasn't decimated) to a wariness of outside forces.
That's possible though its worth noting that other countries managed to be terrorized by the mongols without permanently transforming into a hellhole because of it.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Rookie mistake.

Oh wait he's not in Russia, nevermind!

Dmitry Glukhovsky, the Russian author who is best known for creating the post-apocalyptic Metro book series, has been sentenced to eight years in prison for spreading false information about the Russian army. Information on the author’s trial and sentencing comes from The Associated Press, which reports that the writer was found guilty of publishing social media posts that contained false information about the Russian government’s war with Ukraine. Glukhovsky, however, is not currently in Russia and was tried in absentia.

Shortly after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in early 2022, the lawmakers introduced a bill that cracks down on those spreading “fake” information against the government’s narrative on the war. Those who are found to have violated this law are subject to up to 15 years in prison. Glukhovsky has been critical of Russia’s actions early on in the war, with an Instagram post of his from March 2022 proclaiming, “Stop the war!” In June of that same year, the author published a Telegram post (via Eurogamer) announcing that he had been accused of discrediting the Russian army.

“I am ready to reiterate again what I said before: ‘Stop the War!'” the Metro author said at the time.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Russia was significantly less advanced even before the Mongols. The most advanced part of European civilisation was the central-eastern Mediterranean until around the 15th-16th centuries or so, pollinated by the mixture of the best preserved remnants of Roman civilisation and the Islamic world (probably more advanced in the middle-high medieval era), which also carried in ideas from further East.

Mostly ideas spread out from there, so the further you got (e.g. British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia) the less advanced they tended to be. Eventually the British Isles and Scandinavia became more fully involved in European civilisation (particularly with improved seafaring), but Russia was still the arse-end of nowhere where it all took so much longer for anything to get to.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In related news, though, apparently Ukraine has had to fire sale auction off it public services, which is going to be a huge problem for them long term.

thestor

Dec 19, 2007
Checking an older Perun video

Heard that the Ruzzia's artillery is starting to be less active. Ukrainian counter-battery-fire, combined with attrition from use makes this plausible.