Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The pistol sword combo is not going to cut it against the end of chapter 1 boss. It just can't deal enough damage. I need a drastic rethink.
It sounds like a case of needing to build around the bosses, and I'm kinda torn on the idea. One one hand it encourages experimentation and finding that winning setup, but on the other I think it would be neat to find ways to make a specific build work throughout the game. Maybe that’s missing the point though, as I’ve never played an AC game and they seem to be centered around finding/swapping stuff out as-needed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bad news everyone, I can't buy the game tonight. I'm hoping I can get it either tomorrow or sunday. The GameStop in my area is closed due to a flooding situation. The GameStop itself isn't flooded, but I think they're electricity got affected by it. There was power on in their store, but I don't know if their computer systems are working or not. What sucks is that I literally have a game pre-ordered there and I can't get it because of the situation. At this point I'm sick and tired of the stuff happening on and off and I think I'm just going to order from amazon. Once it finally opens, I'm getting my game and I never coming back to that one again. Which sucks because it's in my local area. They got good people, but it's too many weird happenings there and it's frustrating. Because every now and then when I try to get something there, either somebody screws up and gives me the wrong version and I have to wait, or they do something stupid with their cash and they don't have any money in the register. I'm not going to another GameStop or game store and try to spend $60, then go back to the other one to cancel my pre-order to make up the money. Unfortunately, I'm just going to be patient and wait. You all have fun. Hopefully they'll open up saturday, cuz they don't know if they're going to be open tomorrow or Sunday.
Hopefully you're okay if there's flooding.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hopefully you're okay if there's flooding.
The flood didn't even hit us thankfully. We had the big storm, but that was it. If you live in the Detroit area, a lot of traffic lights are out right now. I am in an area where the traffic lights all work fine and none the major electricity was hit. The storm did bend a few large trees though.

Thank you for checking in. I am doing good, no Armored Core 6 aside.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
It sounds like a case of needing to build around the bosses, and I'm kinda torn on the idea. One one hand it encourages experimentation and finding that winning setup, but on the other I think it would be neat to find ways to make a specific build work throughout the game. Maybe that’s missing the point though, as I’ve never played an AC game and they seem to be centered around finding/swapping stuff out as-needed.
Eh, I wouldn't say so much needing to build specifically to the mission or enemy, but you definitely want to min/max like a munchkin on his 19th cup of coffee at 3am if they're going for the classic AC experience <_<

Heavy Gear was the series where you had more mission specific builds and mechs.

That said, I don't know, games 4 or 5 down the potential queue for me, and I magine the first go in near 15 years is gonna be a pretty drastic shift anyhow.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
My friend talked me into getting the game on steam because if i hate it i can refund it within 2 hours. Unfortunately i played for 4 hours straight so im stuck with a game that is ok. Blowing shit up is fun, bosses are bullshit though because they feel like puzzles more than actual fights. The best shit is fighting another mech one v one though. Thats pretty sick.

This feels like a palette cleaner of a game. After big rpg and another big ass rpg on the horizon, AC6 is a nice quick action game to kind of not have to think much about, blow shit up put bigger guns on your mech, blow more shit up.

Only problem is the difficulty spikes are really all over the damn place.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Experimenting and tweaking for specific scenarios is generally a feature of Armored Core, and other games based around very short, demanding missions like Ace Combat and Dirt Rally.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The pistol sword combo is not going to cut it against the end of chapter 1 boss. It just can't deal enough damage. I need a drastic rethink.
This boss is going to be a wall for a lot of people. After some experimentation I think that a CQB build with a sword is the way to go, but slightly heavier than the one I was using before so I can also dual pack a pair of shield busting energy weapons. Now to practice dodging its many attacks.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
This boss is going to be a wall for a lot of people. After some experimentation I think that a CQB build with a sword is the way to go, but slightly heavier than the one I was using before so I can also dual pack a pair of shield busting energy weapons. Now to practice dodging its many attacks.
I tried a variety of different things and died a lot before eventually arriving back at this idea, but with some plasma missiles instead of the anti shield weapons, and finally got the bastard.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well the game was fun until I got to the end of chapter 1 boss. The bullet hell one. Even when i “stagger” it it still does that Elden Ring bullshit of hopping around and I can’t hit it.

I feel so foolish for letting myself get hyped after I swore off FromSoftware’s ever increasing boss fight crap. Oh well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well the game was fun until I got to the end of chapter 1 boss. The bullet hell one. Even when i “stagger” it it still does that Elden Ring bullshit of hopping around and I can’t hit it.

I feel so foolish for letting myself get hyped after I swore off FromSoftware’s ever increasing boss fight crap. Oh well.
The trick to this guy is to chase him down as fast as you can. Hug him as much as possible and when he runs away fucking boost your ass to him again. It is an annoying fight but your sword has a cooldown anyway and it will recharge during the chase. Use the sword on him as it will tear apart his shield like tissue paper.

That being said i am much further in the game than you and uh....some fights are fucking bullshit ngl. The thing about the bosses in this game is that they feel more like puzzles. And you have to figure out the one trick to solving the puzzle because everything else is desth.

The best fights are versus other AC mechs but even then some are so fucking fast that it can be very disorientating.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't beat yourself up too hard. Either try again or don't; your call alone. Do you know how many times I died to Phantom in DMC1? I can't get AC6 yet, but I am not going to let a first boss discourage me.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Don't beat yourself up too hard. Either try again or don't; your call alone. Do you know how many times I died to Phantom in DMC1? I can't get AC6 yet, but I am not going to let a first boss discourage me.
I didnt think i would like this game at all, considering i have never been a "mech" guy. But the combat clicked with me pretty quickly and i am enjoying the game. It would be on the top of any of my lists for the year but it is a nice change of pace from the bigger games out this year.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I’ve never played more than I think a demo of an AC game, but according to Vaati -

Maybe here more than ever it’s case of, “it’s impossible until it’s not”. Also, not sure how AC6 compares to its predecessors but would have to guess there’d be at least some refinement of the rougher, tougher edges.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Finally had just enough time to do the tutorial. Not the best of tutorial, they start you right away with a boss, except your setup is garbage against it and they don't explain the stun mechanic which is kinda key to doing it. I was trying to use the building for cover and weave in and out of missile barrage, but I ran out of ammo. So I tried to use the blade but that was kinda pointless, took awhile to realize the stun was even a mechanic.

I don't understand why starting from checkpoint regen all health/repair/ammo, it kinda negate the entire point of having limited inventory of those in any mission but those with only one fight.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Because tradition -

Of course there is one!

For me, the biggest thing to get used to was the 3 repair kit only mechanic. Even with the apparent upgrade, being able to heal 3 times per mission makes me really think about whether some encounters are worth tanking through. And of course we have those minibosses in the forms of AC, and I personally found them to be a bit more annoying to deal with, often using up all my repair kits to fight them off.

My strat so far is to use line rifle and arm cannons to break the stamina, then close in for sword. But I heard dual-shotguns devastates everything, so I gotta try that too.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
After seeing the really good day 1 reviews I ordered the game and it arrived today. I did the tutorial and the first 5 missions.

So far the tutorial boss has been the hardest part of the game and everything else has been piss easy. My biggest problem with the tutorial boss is how good the missile tracking is. I constantly felt like I was getting hit from behind by missiles I had dodged in the air, and I constantly got hit while taking cover even though I felt like the boss couldn't see me. Taking cover almost felt pointless, like a trap. It feels like the game really wants you to fly your ass off and hit the helicopter with your sword to do any meaningful damage, but the boss is also able to move outside the boundary of the arena, so it can shoot at you from outside and you can't hit it with your sword and basically have to bait it to come back.

Currently sticking with the tutorial build until I come across something that forces me to change things up. The only thing I've done is added a second missile launcher so that I always have missiles off cool-down.

I'm really impressed with the level of customization. I love that you can have separate weathering effects on every part of your mech.