General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Huh, Minimi Games, the studio behind Desperados 3, is just calling quits due to a bad work/life relationship. The studio is shutting down.

That's sad, but this will always happen when there's a bad or horrible working conditions. I hope the people leaving find something they enjoy, or have a better life.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
TGA 2023 has been set for Dec 7th.

I do think this year there are A LOT of contenders for GOTY; Both RE4R and Dead Space Re were amazing, TOTK and Starfield are gonna be there because of course they are, Baldur's Gate 3 is a very strong title, and MK1 and Spiderman 2 aren't even released yet but they are looking great.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I do think this year there are A LOT of contenders for GOTY; Both RE4R and Dead Space Re were amazing, TOTK and Starfield are gonna be there because of course they are, Baldur's Gate 3 is a very strong title, and MK1 and Spiderman 2 aren't even released yet but they are looking great.
It's going to be a full house this season!

Reactions: FakeSympathy
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Heh, at least if Microsoft doesn’t bring the games, they can bring the venue (in name at least). No but really, Hi-Fi Rush will probably win something.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Maybe he has a point in that a lot pixel art games tap into millennial nostalgia for the 8 and 16bit eras. Sonic is and always has been a franchise for kids from Sega's pov, and the current generation of kids, as well as future ones, may not appreciate pixel art the way older generations do, having not grown up with it. In that sense, he may be right that the window for pixel art to have wide enough appeal will probably close eventually.

Buuuut, nothing can convince me there isn't at least an inkling of butthurt that the best Sonic game in 20 years wasn't by his team.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe he has a point in that a lot pixel art games tap into millennial nostalgia for the 8 and 16bit eras. Sonic is and always has been a franchise for kids from Sega's pov, and the current generation of kids, as well as future ones, may not appreciate pixel art the way older generations do, having not grown up with it. In that sense, he may be right that the window for pixel art to have wide enough appeal will probably close eventually.
While there's some truth, that didn't stop Sonic Mania from succeeding highly well across all generations. Besides, I have seen kids and teens appreciate pixel art from the old-school and new-school on the indie scene. Besides, some of the most popular games among kids may not use pixel art, but they ain't high powered graphical powerhouses either. Minecraft, Among Us, Fall Guys, and Five Nights At Freddy's (which wasn't meant for them, but because they're barely any blood, most parents don't seem to mind) being the most stand out examples. Streets of Rage 4 uses full hand drawn animation, and that caused a newbie boom for the franchise. I know this it's a legacy franchise, but the fact that most new players or kids barely heard, never heard, or became interested in the prior games shows how full of shit Takashi Iizuka is.

I am Sonic Frontiers sold well, but the game has issues, even with the updates. Iizuka-san, don't ever downplay people's expectations, the success of pixel games from the indie crowd, and learn not to treat your audience like thundering dumb asses. It's what screwed yourselves over a million times. I will get Sonic Superstars, and I am sure the game will be great, but don't devalue your previous products, nor the products of others you dumb ass.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Konami saw Eiyuden Chronicle was also delayed to 2024, so they decided to do the same so they could release in the same week.

Which seems really petty, but surely Konami wouldn't do such a thing.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Konami saw Eiyuden Chronicle was also delayed to 2024, so they decided to do the same so they could release in the same week.

Suikoden, WHOOO!

Sorry, instinct.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I got an email from Ubisoft today.

"Rayman is back in a new adventure"

Me: Huh, a new Rayman game?

"...with the Rabbids."

Me: Fuck!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Old_Hunter_77

Reactions: gorfias

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
PS+ is getting a 33% price hike
In the past I've been good at catching those random sales they do, I don't think I've paid more than, what, 40-45 bucks in years. I remember them hiking the price from 50 to 60 bucks but the sales also got better too. Here's hoping this tradition stands.

I do find it odd that they kick it up to 80 bucks here but in Japan it's 6800 yen. That's like 55 bucks or so. Does Japan just not netplay as much? Cause games cost way more over there than they do here.

As someone who kickstarted eiyuuden, I find this terribly amusing.

Last edited: