Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fun Puss in Boots: The Last Wish fact. Legally and technically speaking, that is not Jiminy Cricket. It is the Ethical Bug, even says so in the credits. You see, he's only ever referred to as the Talking Cricket in the original Pinocchio story, and it was Disney who gave him the name of Jiminy Cricket. So, he's the Ethical Bug in Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

That's also why he's now Sebastian Cricket in GDT's Pinocchio.
'Ethical bug' sounds like a term Bethesda would use.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Lorde clapping, but no quite so much" doesn't bring back many useful image results.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Shut off Wayne's World after about 40 minutes, then I watched Cheaper by the Dozen (2003). I'm wondering why I ever bought these on DVD, there was something seriously wrong with my taste in movies when I was 14.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shut off Wayne's World after about 40 minutes, then I watched Cheaper by the Dozen (2003). I'm wondering why I ever bought these on DVD, there was something seriously wrong with my taste in movies when I was 14.
There was nothing inherently wrong with your tastes when you were 14. They changed like anyone else. I am not a Wayne's World fan, but I can think of plenty worse comedies from the 90s than that. I was always a Bill and Ted guy though. The same for Cheaper by the Dozen (2003). I know it's been a minute, I can think of so many worse comedies from the early to late 2000s way worse than it. I'll take that movie, over Marcie X, Juannaman, White Chicks, Big Momma's House Trilogy, and the Meet the Parents/Fockers franchise any day of the week.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
My new movie tonight was The Boogeyman. No, not the Stephen King adaptation this year, the 1980 movie done by Ulli Lommel. I have seen bad horror movies before. Hell, this isn't the only bad one I've seen this month. But it was on another level of bad, and not in a fun way. There were a couple of fun scenes, but it takes a special level of incompetence to leave me bored during a movie with less than an hour and a half run time. It's not even worth watching for cheesy badness, although there are one to two scenes that deliver on that front, and there is one admittedly pretty creative death scene, but even if you like bad horror movies, you can do better than this easily.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Equalizer 3: Great / Great

Robert McCall finds himself in Italy for reasons, and upon finding a place to settle and find some peace, discovers a cartel of mobsters have a stranglehold on the local community, so... well, let's just say you can't do that on his watch.

Supposedly the last installment, and while being probably the slowest burn of the three films, it certainly felt the most visceral. McCall comes across as a man who's just had it with evildoers, and it shows through his ruthlessness and violence. You could almost argue he enjoys it this time out. That said, it was a great film (if you're into this sort of thing, which I most certainly am.)
Excellent movie; saw it in Epic (The MJR's equivalent to IMAX). They should just end it there. What I like about the Equalizer films, is that McCall is not John Wick nor Rambo. He prefers stealth, and mostly picks off his enemies one at a time. E3 does have more a focused story and slower burn, and I much appreciate it. I didn't have a problem with the way E2 went, but I know it was a complaint for certain critics. The audience not so much. It was nice seeing Dakota Fanning again. These movies have been officially hailed as the spiritual successor to Man On Fire. Seeing Fanning in 3 is just coming full circle now. They're the best Punisher films ever made. Yes, even better than the Netflix series.

Last edited:

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Excellent movie, they should just end it there. What I like about the Equalizer films, is that McCall is not John Wick nor Rambo. He prefers stealth, and mostly picks off his enemies one at a time. E3 does have more a focused story and slower burn, and I much appreciate it. I didn't have a problem with the way E2 went, but I know it was a complaint for certain critics. The audience not so much. It was nice seeing Dakota Fanning again. These movies have been officially hailed as the spiritual successor to Man On Fire. Seeing Fanning in 3 is just coming full circle now. They're the best Punisher films ever made. Yes, even better than the Netflix series.
Damn, that sounds like high praise indeed. I've been very aware of the Equalizer films since the first one came out, but none of them have ever seemed like more than boilerplate action movies, and the third one's trailers make no exception to that. Maybe I should check them out.

In other things, I just saw Talk to Me, 8/10, maybe even 9/10.

I had high expectations going in (this has garnered a lot of praise), but they were well exceeded. This is probably the most disturbing and depressing horror movie I've seen since Hereditary. What initially seems like the most cliché premise ever (group of teenagers talk to spirits through a ceramic hand and stuff goes wrong) turns into a very engaging, psychological and even existential film that's rooted in very real, very relatable subject matter. And it's all handled very respectfully and maturely. You truly feel for Mia's predicament and her desperation, and her crumbling mental state is really compelling.

It reminded me most of more abstract, unorthodox horror films like It Comes at Night or Under the Skin, though this is much more straightforward than either of those. But it's got that same eerie, twisted atmosphere that'll leave you thinking about it long after. Though there are shocking scenes and very gruesome elements in it, its most harrowing parts are the psychological elements, and it never feels gratuitous in its shock value. The acting's really good, the script is tight, the characters relatable and it doesn't go for cheap jump scares. The cinematography is outstanding with a hell of a single-take opening scene, and some really effective playing with focus and angles. It looks great, sounds great, there's honestly not a lot I'd criticize. It also has an amazing, really disturbing and up to interpretation ending, which I'll discuss below in spoilers. Y'all go out an watch this! This is a rare treat when it comes to horror movies.

So at the climax it seems that Mia is about to kill Riley because she thinks she's saving him from hell, or whatever she thought she saw in the vision previously. But at the last minute she decides to end her own life instead, because even more than saving Riley she wants to be with her mother. What follows is one of the most creative and harrowing depictions of a version of the afterlife I've seen: there is no salvation, no peace, no pearly gates. Only darkness, confusion and loneliness. Mia has truly entered her worst nightmare. But the last about 20 seconds are the really disturbing part. In the middle of this black void, a single spark of light is lit. Mia is drawn towards it, and it's revealed to be yet another group of fools toying with the hand, and she's been drawn to them. As she takes the hand and the words "I let you in" are spoken, the screen cuts to black. Which to me registered as an implication that what we thought were the spirits of the dead may have been used as mere masks for something much more sinister. And now Mia has become one of those masks.

Which as a concept is just existentially horrifying. She's dead, gone, stuck in this between state of darkness, alone, until the end of eternity. And her only contact with anyone ever again will be those few moments between the words "Talk to me" and "I let you in". You could ultimately classify this as a demonic possession movie, but the way it depicts it is so much more effective than perhaps anything else I've ever seen. True hell isn't flames, torment and agony. It's not being able to tell what's real, and being haunted by things taken away from you that mattered to you the most. It's one of the most dusturbing concepts a horror movie has evoked in me since Annihilation played with identity and sense of self in an equally harrowing manner.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Damn, that sounds like high praise indeed. I've been very aware of the Equalizer films since the first one came out, but none of them have ever seemed like more than boilerplate action movies, and the third one's trailers make no exception to that. Maybe I should check them out.
Please do. They're the old/older badass movies done right, unlike the Taken franchise and the later John Wick entries. The Equalizer film don't use the quick-cut/shaky-cam bullshit, nor with overlong shots with a possible stunt double. You believe Denzel can pull this shit off, because it's kept mostly practical. Please see them when you can.
In other things, I just saw Talk to Me, 8/10, maybe even 9/10.

I had high expectations going in (this has garnered a lot of praise), but they were well exceeded. This is probably the most disturbing and depressing horror movie I've seen since Hereditary. What initially seems like the most cliché premise ever (group of teenagers talk to spirits through a ceramic hand and stuff goes wrong) turns into a very engaging, psychological and even existential film that's rooted in very real, very relatable subject matter. And it's all handled very respectfully and maturely. You truly feel for Mia's predicament and her desperation, and her crumbling mental state is really compelling.
I'll take you on that offer. Been a while since I've seen a good horror movie.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
3 amigos, because as a fan of galaxy quest i had to know i had to know.

And okay, the 1st half had me seriously worried. It does follow the same beats. But then, it diverges sufficiently to forget that.

And I did unexpectedly laugh quite a few times. The film is more absurdist than I imagined, and I welcomed most of its nonsense (two exceptions were the cell chains contraption, and how silly and ignorant the mexicans had to be about the concept of cinema fiction). I'm very curious on how much I'd have loved it as a kid. But I don't regret having been spared the Galaxy Quest comparison for so long. It would have been like discovering A Fistful of Dollars after Yojimbo. Well, half like that.

Anyway, this sort of stupid shit works very well on me :

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Jurassic World: Dominion. Ah no, they really phoned it in on this one, appear to have used the same SFX guy as from the 1990s original for some of these shots. Apologies to all actors involved if they're reading this, but it really is a bit bad.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Jurassic World: Dominion. Ah no, they really phoned it in on this one, appear to have used the same SFX guy as from the 1990s original for some of these shots. Apologies to all actors involved if they're reading this, but it really is a bit bad.
As petty as it is, I flatly refused to see Fallen Kingdom because they decided one of the set pieces should be that we see the Brachiosaurus from the original essentially driven to the waters edge and then burned alive by the magma or whatever the fuck happened.

So as long as Sam, Laura and Jeff all got paid a dump truck full of money for Dominion, I don’t care how shit it was.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
3 amigos, because as a fan of galaxy quest i had to know i had to know.

And okay, the 1st half had me seriously worried. It does follow the same beats. But then, it diverges sufficiently to forget that.

And I did unexpectedly laugh quite a few times. The film is more absurdist than I imagined, and I welcomed most of its nonsense (two exceptions were the cell chains contraption, and how silly and ignorant the mexicans had to be about the concept of cinema fiction). I'm very curious on how much I'd have loved it as a kid. But I don't regret having been spared the Galaxy Quest comparison for so long. It would have been like discovering A Fistful of Dollars after Yojimbo. Well, half like that.

Anyway, this sort of stupid shit works very well on me :

But did you have a plethora of pinatas around as you watched?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I thought this one was better than Goldeneye, myself. Though, yeah, the bit where Bond basically tells the bad guy that he knows what he's up to...I guess because Connery did something similar? "There's a SPECTRE on your shoulder."

I don't agree that big menacing henchmen are trying to be Grant from From Russia With Love. They are similar, but big menacing henchmen kinda are, Grant followed Bond around for a while, with Bond not seeing him but the camera doing so, later villains didn't really go for that.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It's not just him being a big menacing henchman. It was him being a blonde, foreign-accented big menacing henchman who goes out in a very physical fight with Bond where Bond has to use his wits to make up for the fact that the other man is a stronger fighter.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's not just him being a big menacing henchman. It was him being a blonde, foreign-accented big menacing henchman who goes out in a very physical fight with Bond where Bond has to use his wits to make up for the fact that the other man is a stronger fighter.
Yeah but as attempts to do another Red Grant go, Henry Stamper is pretty good.

Reactions: thebobmaster

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
For my new movie tonight, watched the 1983 slasher The House on Sorority Row. Reminded me a bit of an early version of I Know What You Did Last Summer in terms of plot, but much more boring and slasher-y. Not terrible, and the method of killing is pretty creative, but not as good as it easily could have been if they had bothered giving the girls much of a personality outside a few exceptions, and the twist is really unnecessary.