What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought it was one of those "Play through the game again, but make different choices for a different ending" things.
That technically does happen very late game in one of the next to last endings.

Yes, I know, I'm dumb.
No, but I did expect you to at least be aware of how Yoko Taro works at this point. To be fair, you're not the first to makes this mistake or assume.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
That technically does happen very late game in one of the next to last endings.

No, but I did expect you to at least be aware of how Yoko Taro works at this point. To be fair, you're not the first to makes this mistake or assume.
Never played a Yoko Taro game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What makes QII-64 even more difficult, is because you can't hold items, unlike the PC version. Once you pick up an item, it's automatically used like in your standard Doom game. Q64 is way more level based compared to QII's more open-ended/lite-metroidvania level exploration.
While not being able to hold items contributes, you really don't need to rely on that for most of the other quake 2 expansions. Really I think its closer combat with mean enemy compositions in addition to new enemy behavior that makes projectile weapons less ideal since most enemies like to dodge and duck now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While not being able to hold items contributes, you really don't need to rely on that for most of the other quake 2 expansions. Really I think its closer combat with mean enemy compositions in addition to new enemy behavior that makes projectile weapons less ideal since most enemies like to dodge and duck now.
I am playing Quake II-64 right now. The player character can't duck in Q64, but even in the PC version, it doesn't get much use aside from finding ammo and hidden secrets. I do like how you get more powerful weapons early in Q64. This game has better color lighting, similar to Doom 64 and PSX Doom. It's not just gunmetal grey and brown, unlike the PC version. I know it's not that bad, I appreciate the wider color palette in the console version. The metal music works better in the PC version, and the atmospheric music is not as effective as it was in Doom 64 and PSX Doom.

Civvie is right: either version of this game is mid 90s iD Software the game. Not bad, nor nothing wrong, but it has all the staples of an iD game. Pistol, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, Energy Based Gun/Plasma Rifle, and a BFG. A space marine as the main protag going one man army against a sci-fi extraterrestrial or supernatural threat. I know Quake II is an in-name only sequel to the first, which I didn't have much attachment when growing up, but I am surprised they didn't call this Doom 3 at some point and moved on. Not a complaint, because we got something better.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I am playing Quake II-64 right now. The player character can't duck in Q64, but even in the PC version, it doesn't get much use aside from finding ammo and hidden secrets. I do like how you get more power weapon early in Q64. This game has better color lighting, similar to Doom 64 and PSX Doom. It's not just gunmetal grey and brown, unlike the PC version. I know it's not that bad, I appreciate the wider color palette in the console version. The metal music works better in the PC version, and the atmospheric music is not as effective as it was in Doom 64 and PSX Doom.
Quake 64 feels really quick to load you up on bigger guns and put you up against the bigger enemies sooner. None of this slow burn that the original and most of the expansions have.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think mean enemy placement combined with narrower hallways makes things much harder and it loves to do enemies ambushing you from behind, plus the new enemy abilities also aren't helping things.
That's where the Doom 64 design comes into play. Midway knew exactly what they were doing.

Quake 64 feels really quick to load you up on bigger guns and put you up against the bigger enemies sooner. None of this slow burn that the original and most of the expansions have.
Yes!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Is it actually worse than gta4, or only bad compared to contemporary expectations (or merely worse than the other Saints Row games) ?
All the above.
Uh oh.
I have GTA4 and 5 and... I keep trying to like them but dislike the gameplay.
I just tried the new Saint's Row (and coffin nail for Volition) on PS4 and it may be my favorite new game. So far, I'm enjoying it more than Cyberpunk and Outer Worlds.
Everything has been so intuitive. I like easy. I like feeling like a bad ass and wiping out my enemies while progressing a narrative. This game is doing that for me. I can definitely see it being way, way too easy for those that want a challenge. That isn't me. I like a cheat that allows me to kick an opponent clear across the street.
I have to admit I don't think I'd ever pay $60 for it. Star Field once it has a ton of mods available? Maybe. This? It's a lark and near free (PS+) is irresistible. Sad this is what killed the company.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Uh oh.
I have GTA4 and 5 and... I keep trying to like them but dislike the gameplay.
I just tried the new Saint's Row (and coffin nail for Volition) on PS4 and it may be my favorite new game. So far, I'm enjoying it more than Cyberpunk and Outer Worlds.
Everything has been so intuitive. I like easy. I like feeling like a bad ass and wiping out my enemies while progressing a narrative. This game is doing that for me. I can definitely see it being way, way too easy for those that want a challenge. That isn't me. I like a cheat that allows me to kick an opponent clear across the street.
I have to admit I don't think I'd ever pay $60 for it. Star Field once it has a ton of mods available? Maybe. This? It's a lark and near free (PS+) is irresistible. Sad this is what killed the company.
If you like SR2022, then more power to you. As for being easier, that's nothing new for the franchise. SR III was when they started making the games easier.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Because of that, it feels like it might be much shorter then the other expansions. But I'm still going through it, so we shall see.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because of that, it feels like it might be much shorter then the other expansions. But I'm still going through it, so we shall see.
There are 20 levels total. I am stopping Quake II-64 tonight, because it is getting way too frustrating, and it's stingy on the ammo pick ups. Doom 64 is tough, but the devs were never that stingy on the health and ammo pick ups. Even in the late game. I'm currently in the ice cavern stage, and the enemies ambushing behind you is getting old now.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There are 20 levels total. I am stopping Quake II-64 tonight, because it is getting way too frustrating, and it's stingy on the ammo pick ups. Doom 64 is tough, but the devs were never that stingy on the health and ammo pick ups. Even in the late game. I'm currently in the ice cavern stage, and the enemies ambushing behind you is getting old now.
I just beat Quake 64 Nightmare, it is certainly much shorter feeling then the other Quake 2 campaigns. I didn't have too much issue with ammo, I did run out of shotgun and bullets are always an issue if you minigun, but I had plenty of nades and rockets and railgun. Anyway, yeah, its pretty hard, certainly harder then any other campaign and Quake 1 on nightmare... maybe.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I beat NieR: Automata.

I looked up the game on TV Tropes, and spoiled myself, because I had NO IDEA there were multiple endings that you have to beat the game multiple times to see.
How is this even possible? The game isn't exactly subtle about it. Once you finish the credits isn't there a screen explicitly telling you that it isn't the end and you need to keep playing?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
How is this even possible? The game isn't exactly subtle about it. Once you finish the credits isn't there a screen explicitly telling you that it isn't the end and you need to keep playing?
Like I said, I thought it was one of those "Play through the game again, but make different choices this time for a different ending" things. I didn't know a whole different game would start.

Though, apparently, different endings are kind of Yoko Taro's thing. I had never even heard of Yoko Taro until yesterday.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Started playing Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Takes a while to get going, doesn't it? Took me a couple hours just to get past the tutorial island of getting expositioned at by SSJ3 Man-Llama. Other than that, I'm starting to get into things. I think I wandered into the wrong direction tho, because I'm constantly running into enemies that one-shot me. The weapon degradation is indeed annoying.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Gonna try that ff7 ever crisis thingy, I don't expect it to join FGO as one of my long time phone games but the lure of a young Sephiroth focused story was too strong to resist. Here's hoping it doesn't require you to spend money to see the story cause I'm too used to fate where even the most common unit can clear the game if you strategize well.