Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I always had thought Gears used GeoW to differentiate.
That rarely ever happened. Some people tried with the first game, but most fans were too impatient, or thought it didn't look cool. I know by the second game, any fan, casual fan, or non-fan would use GOW for Gears.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I find it funny Yahtzee has been crazy to bat for BioShock since the early 2010s to now. When he reviewed the game first back in 2007, he had a whatever attitude about it. He really only started changing his tune after the second game, and when Infinite came out. Infinite I don't like and I find it a much worse game than 2. I know BioShock 2 was more the same, but better polished, but at least it was straightforward and knew what it was doing. It was a marred by a bunch of production trouble, and many wasted a plot threads or characters that go nowhere or end up being killed off too fast and unceremoniously. Don't even give me started on that ending.

I can understand his choice, but Bioshock wouldn't be my first pick. Metal Gear Rising has the best opening of any game ever.

As much as the rest of the game was filler and self-contradicting nonsense, I'd go to bat for FF7 having the best opening til after the escape from Midgar (not ReMake though, which basically threw all that atmosphere and pacing in the trashbin for more filler and contradicting nonsense)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As much as the rest of the game was filler and self-contradicting nonsense, I'd go to bat for FF7 having the best opening til after the escape from Midgar (not ReMake though, which basically threw all that atmosphere and pacing in the trashbin for more filler and contradicting nonsense)

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
It's just a reference to MOBAs and how you can get held hostage in a lost game because someone says "they might throw" or something. I used to play League of Legends.
Wow, that brings back memories. I haven't even booted Dota 2 to watch the International in years, let alone actually played it myself.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Today I would like to praise and defend the idea of convenience in video games that sell at full price.

It is 2023. New video games from major publishers are between 50-70 USD. They can take about a month to finish or so (yes obviously I'm doing a LOT of assuming but let's say a person that has a job or two or school and some sort of personal life and other hobbies). Playing a video game is an investment in time and money.

It's ok to expect polish. This is the unsexy part of an entertainment product- where things just work and are intuitive. I'm sensitive to this as a software IT guy who as spent a lot of time thinking about how to get users to click on the correct part of screens and get the data they need when they need it- it is how I get money to pay for these games.

So when people are talking about Starfield bothering you with encumbrance and loading screens, or Baldur's Gate 3 slamming you with radial menus and constantly reloading saves, or the various online games with their logins and launchers... I mean you gotta understand someone not wanting to bother with all of that.

Some of the big slick games that get crapped on- they work. They're pretty. They deliver on the expectations they set up. That is not a defense on the other scummy or boring things they do, of course. But I just think basic convenience is an underrated feature in a lot of games coverage and I just wanna call out some love for the folks behind the scenes that thing about things like "does this menu make sense" and "is it fair if the player doesn't know what they're supposed to do next at this point?"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've already made my case on this before, so if y'all want to see the link, check the FF 16 thread.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Today I would like to praise and defend the idea of convenience in video games that sell at full price.
Hate to break it to you, but your hot take is about 10+ years out of date. Most sensible people in gamers don't have a problem with convenience, no matter if it's full price or not. The only ones complaining or whining about this are the super hardcore as with nothing better to do in their lives. You might as well be shouting at brick walls when it comes to them. People complaining about this really dates back to when games became more casual friendly and you had even more gamers crying about that at the time. I will always like a challenge every now and then, but I'm not going to hate on making things more convenient or easier for the consumer and player when necessary. Time is an important thing, and the last thing you want to do is waste other people's time with either outdated mechanics that don't work, or for the sake of "art!".

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Immortals of Avium isn't everyone's cuppa tea, but it does exceed in one teeny area compared to almost all RPGs with varied loot aesthetics I remember before: you can finally see the fucking magical rings in gameplay when you equip them! One less injustice in this cruel world!

As an aside, this is not the most helpful console justification to explain why an update couldn't download;

2023-09-12-00-43-50-521.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least Doom 3 focused on shooting demons, even if half the time you couldn't see the demons. Doom Eternal falls too much in love with its platforming and swinging and excessive number of gadgets. Every time I see yet another disguised gymnasium, I let out a sigh and contemplate uninstalling the game; I've bounced off of it so many times because I'm tired of all the jungle gym gameplay.
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil is better Doom II analogue and Doom game than Doom Eternal. I find RoE better than the base game of Doom 3, but that is usually not a hot take nowadays. Doesn't matter; RoE has the the double barrel. Instant win!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I've already made my case on this before, so if y'all want to see the link check the FF 16 thread.

FF16 is about slavery. I don't think Square Enix wanted to open up that whole can of worms by making some of the characters black, because then you either have black slavers or black slaves, and neither one of those is going to get a good reception. Even if it was incredibly well written and poignant there's enough people that would be upset by it at a surface level for it to not have been worth it for this game.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
FF16 is about slavery. I don't think Square Enix wanted to open up that whole can of worms by making some of the characters black, because then you either have black slavers or black slaves, and neither one of those is going to get a good reception. Even if it was incredibly well written and poignant there's enough people that would be upset by it at a surface level for it to not have been worth it for this game.
I know. That parts been argued already, and like I said: black people dodged a bullet on this one, because Square already fucked up their own themes and message. I still wouldn't have minded, nor be offended, if they at least tried or attempted. Even if they did fail, at least their would be no "realism" excuse. You can't get much worse than Detroit Become Human with its themes (robo/android) slavery and racism. That game was a major failure on doing the Civil Rights movement.

Even if it was incredibly well written and poignant there's enough people that would be upset by it at a surface level for it to not have been worth it for this game.
People can be "upset" all they want. They better learn to nut up, face it head on, or look else where and move on. I won't judge them much for either option, but they better be civil about it, and not being shit heads to those interested and vice versa. People will always be upset at something. There's always some piece of media that will tackle upsetting or uncomfortable issues. It's learning how to deal with it and responding with it appropriately that is most important. Along with how it is handled by those doing their research. writing, and trying to tell a story.

I appreciate you at least for listening and not blowing me off with the whole it's a fictional world with "fantasy races" (when I am strictly talking about the humans only and not orcs/goblins/devils/whatever) and seeing everything as a "non-issue".

Reactions: Specter Von Baren
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
A lot of people will say exclusives are bad and “everything should be available to play on anything!” yada yada, but exclusives will always be an important counterweight to multi platform games. The reasoning is pretty simple.

It seems more and more lately that “platform parity” is a thing. But if that’s the case, then unique features of a given platform that make the game look, sound and play better may go unused. That is IMO a good enough reason for why exclusives will always be important, because unless every platform holder has true “feature parity” to begin with, then there really is no such thing.

Though OTOH, I don’t have a PS5 yet but apparently even exclusives aren’t doing much with the system’s features.

Maybe it will change once “last gen” is official dead and buried, but in the meantime it’s kind of a shame.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A lot of people will say exclusives are bad and “everything should be available to play on anything!” yada yada, but exclusives will always be an important counterweight to multi platform games. The reasoning is pretty simple.
I noticed the people or "concerned citizens/gamers" who say that, are usually people the bitching about how a game they want to play (but don't want to admit it) is on a competitive console, or trying to justify/validate their purchase for their console of choice. Yet, when they get good exclusive, all of sudden, "exclusives are important". Or it's some parent spoiling their kid(s), and they want Mario to be on a PlayStation or XBOX. You won't believe how many foolish, naïve, and ignorant parents I met want this idea, and had to explain it to them. Most got it, while some others:

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

It seems more and more lately that “platform parity” is a thing. But if that’s the case, then unique features of a given platform that make the game look, sound and play better may go unused. That is IMO a good enough reason for why exclusives will always be important, because unless every platform holder has true “feature parity” to begin with, then there really is no such thing.

Though OTOH, I don’t have a PS5 yet but apparently even exclusives aren’t doing much with the system’s features.

Maybe it will change once “last gen” is official dead and buried, but in the meantime it’s kind of a shame.
The exclusives that bother me are the ones that were that way because of pure business. I mean all decisions are business obviously but some more than others.

Examples: Final Fantasy 16 and Starfield are exclusives but really shouldn't have been. We now know that this wasn't even the original intent. Both games have histories of legacy fans that may have been playing their previous games on other platforms, and they are games explicitly designed for mass market appeal. Then Sony and Microsoft came in with their wallets and egos and bought some rights and it's all stupid. XBox/PC/PS5 should be able to play either of these games really.

On the other hand when I was replaying Tsushima and swiping up on the touchpad thing on the controller to activate the wind direction while admiring the visuals I did have the thought that maybe this game wouldn't have been as good if they had to make it work on other platforms. I think it's also telling that, unlike other PS exclusives, this hasn't been ported to PC and AFAIK it's not going to be. Now of course I wouldn't be opposed to a PC port or anything (I mean any internet denizens with that attitude should really go touch grass or something) but the fact that my favorite game of the last 5 years or so is a console exclusive means I can't just dismiss exclusivity.

And then there's Nintendo- hahah. It's very easy for me to excuse and defend exclusivity with Nintendo as I just have no interest in their games or platform or hand-held gaming right now

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The exclusives that bother me are the ones that were that way because of pure business. I mean all decisions are business obviously but some more than others.

Examples: Final Fantasy 16 and Starfield are exclusives but really shouldn't have been. We now know that this wasn't even the original intent. Both games have histories of legacy fans that may have been playing their previous games on other platforms, and they are games explicitly designed for mass market appeal. Then Sony and Microsoft came in with their wallets and egos and bought some rights and it's all stupid. XBox/PC/PS5 should be able to play either of these games really.

On the other hand when I was replaying Tsushima and swiping up on the touchpad thing on the controller to activate the wind direction while admiring the visuals I did have the thought that maybe this game wouldn't have been as good if they had to make it work on other platforms. I think it's also telling that, unlike other PS exclusives, this hasn't been ported to PC and AFAIK it's not going to be. Now of course I wouldn't be opposed to a PC port or anything (I mean any internet denizens with that attitude should really go touch grass or something) but the fact that my favorite game of the last 5 years or so is a console exclusive means I can't just dismiss exclusivity.

And then there's Nintendo- hahah. It's very easy for me to excuse and defend exclusivity with Nintendo as I just have no interest in their games or platform or hand-held gaming right now
Then there’s also that *other* game perpetually stuck on PS4 that probably wouldn’t have been made at all if not an exclusive. It’s a case by case basis and there can be good reasoning for both, but somehow the discourse always turns into an interweb shitshow because people unnecessarily get too personally invested in the issue.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So.. we gamers, we just want games that work, release complete, with no mtx. We want new IPs!

lol... no

Yes we do. Evil West and HiFi Rush are proof of that. Yeah, I know they had one pre-order costume and weapon skin , but a majority of the stuff you can unlock in game for both.

Immortals lived and died on its own merits. It sucks when an original IP doesn't do well, but it happened. I know the reception for the game was mixed, but there's only so much they can do. Not to mention it's EA being their usual selves. Not to mention that it has been a busy year. A lot of games are vying for a lot of people's attention this year

Last edited: