General Gaming News.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Star Field has sold 10 million copies as of yesterday. Dunno how many for console vs. PC but sounds like a win for them.
Are we talking "copies sold" or "players playing" or "game installs"? The latter two including game pass players.

Don't forget, Microsoft is king of skewed metrics. They'll stop reporting on numbers that they see as unfavorable and pivot to a different metric to boost their image.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They are also being made by random studios too, so I have a feeling they are more-so testing out the studio's ability to make good gameplay loops rather than long lasting live-service platforms.
Still not a smart idea. Because if all of them fail, or they don't work the way Sony wants them to, then it'll be a waste of everyone's time, resources, and money.

Foam-stars is gonna die immediately
Don't you believe in Foam Stars? Why can't you believe?!

forget what else their doing. I don't care though, because I'm abouta be Spider-Man 2!
The best answer.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It's kind of crazy that Microsoft could even consider buying Valve, if Epic games is net worth is 32 Billion imagine how much it would cost to buy Valve. My guess is 60+ billion.
Apparetly Valve is valuated at only $7.7B as of 2022. Which seems weird considering Steam represents roughly 75% of the pc gaming market, but I think it starts making more sense when you consider Valve is privately owned and very low key in the public eye, so not prone to the speculation that drives up stock prices and thus valuation.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I have seen Foam Stars getting positive attention. Everyone who plays it seems to like it. Don't be surprised if it gets attention from streamers.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have seen Foam Stars getting positive attention. Everyone who plays it seems to like it. Don't be surprised if it gets attention from streamers.
Splatoon is supposedly fun, so a copy if done right should be equally as fun. The game mode itself is a good idea.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
With TGS approaching, we have a new P3R trailer, it's a chonker too, about 3 mins!

This one is focusing on Strega and the Elizabeth outings. Her song at the end is hilarious.

Also they do these new solo attacks that have a limit break feel to them, they show Mitsuru and Junpei do em and they look amazing with all those p5-style angles to them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
With TGS approaching, we have a new P3R trailer, it's a chonker too, about 3 mins!

This one is focusing on Strega and the Elizabeth outings. Her song at the end is hilarious.

Also they do these new solo attacks that have a limit break feel to them, they show Mitsuru and Junpei do em and they look amazing with all those p5-style angles to them.
I'm looking forward to this tbh, even though I thought the story was buttcheeks. I just want another Persona to play.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I'm looking forward to this tbh, even though I thought the story was buttcheeks. I just want another Persona to play.
P3 has the best main plot easy though, not sure what you mean lol.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I cant find any record of this figure. But for your reference falliut 4 sold 12 million units day 1. And the only numbers i could find was that starfield had been played by 6million players, including gamepass players which arent actual sales.
and
Are we talking "copies sold" or "players playing" or "game installs"? The latter two including game pass players.

Don't forget, Microsoft is king of skewed metrics. They'll stop reporting on numbers that they see as unfavorable and pivot to a different metric to boost their image.
Eeeewwww, yeah. My bad. Started with a Wikipedia report on the game with links that ultimately led me to this Bethesda tweet that actually hardly means there's been 10 million copies sold. Sorry.
1695241789097.png

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
P3 has the best main plot easy though, not sure what you mean lol.
That's cap lol. Did I use that right?

Eeeewwww, yeah. My bad. Started with a Wikipedia report on the game with links that ultimately led me to this Bethesda tweet that actually hardly means there's been 10 million copies sold. Sorry.
All good. I knew that was a fishy number to say because of the Gamepass thing. If Starfield wasn't on Gamepass I don't doubt they would sell 10 million copies easy, but also a lot of sales doesn't mean the game is good. Diablo 4 sold a fuckton and that game is on life-support in critical condition so....

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
That's cap lol. Did I use that right?
Mofo I dunno, I'm 35 XD.

But yeah for real. The main plot in p3 has way more interpersonal twists, the answer stuff on top of Junpei's thing with Chidori and just everything about the Aigis slink. They refined a lot of the "side stuff" tremendously in p4-5 which is why I qualified it by saying the "main" story, but I loved p3's difficulty and fusion spells and those weren't quite recaptured. P5 was kinda difficult too but p5R was way easier cause they gave you a ton of extra things like infinite ammo and combination super moves without also making the enemies that much harder to balance things out, and even vanilla p5 wasn't quite FES level hard. Things like the fatigue mechanic and adventuring tired have yet to be matched.

I'd still put it below P4, but so so soooooo far above P5.
I think the issue with p4 is the scope feels much narrower, which granted allows for a more personal-feeling story and so on, but p3 feels more epic due to that greater scope.

Btw I think a lot of this also hinges on which game you played first, mine was the original p3 back in like 06.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Btw I think a lot of this also hinges on which game you played first, mine was the original p3 back in like 06.
My first was P3P. As cool as P3 was, I liked P4 and P5 a lot more. Granted, the latter two definitely felt less like a SMT game in terms of tone, setup, and style... but after trying several mainline SMT games I'm not really sure I like the full tilt SMT style.
I know P3P took away a number of things that likely helped give the game its charm, like the 3D environments and scenes, but there's no way in hell I'd want to play a tougher game without control of my party members. That doesn't sound remotely fun.

Things like the fatigue mechanic and adventuring tired have yet to be matched.
Ah yes, randomly having your dungeon crawling plans thrown out the window cause the game decided to make one of your party members less useful... a true critical darling of difficulty. /s

P5 was kinda difficult too but p5R was way easier cause they gave you a ton of extra things like infinite ammo and combination super moves without also making the enemies that much harder to balance things out, and even vanilla p5 wasn't quite FES level hard.
I agree with you here though, for the most part at least. I was thankful P5R giving you infinite ammo to work with. While I appreciate what the original game was trying to do, it made guns way less useful than they should've been considering their damage output and accuracy, to the point I didn't really give them much consideration in dungeon dives. Being able to actually use the things was, in my eyes, more enjoyable. Buuuuuuut as I type this... I think back to the original game's way it did things and think it could've just used some buffs in P5R rather than a wide sweep overhaul like it got.
The weird enemies that were going haywire and would nuke the others off the screen if you managed to deal with the angry one was dumb though. It was very rare I ever had issue taking them out right away so it made some fights rather trivial

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@CriticalGaming, a twofer.

So bad news and good news. CD losing people is bad i guess but bound to happen when you make trash several times in a row.

And Calisto sucked so nothing of value was lost there.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
My first was P3P. As cool as P3 was, I liked P4 and P5 a lot more. Granted, the latter two definitely felt less like a SMT game in terms of tone, setup, and style... but after trying several mainline SMT games I'm not really sure I like the full tilt SMT style.
I know P3P took away a number of things that likely helped give the game its charm, like the 3D environments and scenes, but there's no way in hell I'd want to play a tougher game without control of my party members. That doesn't sound remotely fun.

Ah yes, randomly having your dungeon crawling plans thrown out the window cause the game decided to make one of your party members less useful... a true critical darling of difficulty. /s

I agree with you here though, for the most part at least. I was thankful P5R giving you infinite ammo to work with. While I appreciate what the original game was trying to do, it made guns way less useful than they should've been considering their damage output and accuracy, to the point I didn't really give them much consideration in dungeon dives. Being able to actually use the things was, in my eyes, more enjoyable. Buuuuuuut as I type this... I think back to the original game's way it did things and think it could've just used some buffs in P5R rather than a wide sweep overhaul like it got.
The weird enemies that were going haywire and would nuke the others off the screen if you managed to deal with the angry one was dumb though. It was very rare I ever had issue taking them out right away so it made some fights rather trivial
P3P doesn't have the entire 30 hour epilogue, you don't really learn what happened to you at the end! That's the main issue. It has a lot of cool elements like the female protag and saving Shinji's life but yeah it's more of a supplemental experience.

And hey I actually liked adventuring tired and just using spells and being careful, I just found the extra difficulty fun, it felt like playing Nocturne. Oh and on that note, Nocturne is the main SMT experience, the newer ones are decent but being on handhelds has had some impact. Nocturne is just a masterpiece in general though. So glad they did a remake of it.

As for the guns, in p5 they were there to let you hit weaknesses mainly, a couple would do good damage like Ryuuji's and Haru's, and Anne had this one that charmed and she had (comparatively) lots of ammo so you could use it to get a ton of charm out of it, but overall I think they had their niche and they were totally fine. By making them have infinite ammo in p5r you are dumb if you don't magdumb on almost each fight cause the dps on that is insane, it's like a free attack skill or two without using up any hp. It got to a point where I just shifted the game's difficulty from normal to the highest, not sure what it was called, and it was still more or less the same outside of a couple of bad rng instadeaths where you get critted into megidolaon or something else.