Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It seems Theurgy is the new limit break system that replaces fusion spells in p3.

King and Black Frost working together is hype XD.

(btw the name is ancient greek, it translates to divine work)

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
P3P doesn't have the entire 30 hour epilogue, you don't really learn what happened to you at the end! That's the main issue. It has a lot of cool elements like the female protag and saving Shinji's life but yeah it's more of a supplemental experience.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure an extended epilogue would've really changed my opinion on the story or how the game played. By the time I got to the end all I could conclude was "It was alright." That may have been at the fault of what the game removed, it's hard to tell. I just didn't jive with P3 like the others. I can safely say though, it wasn't the 3D environments and exploration that sold either P4 or P5 for me, it was everything else.

And hey I actually liked adventuring tired and just using spells and being careful, I just found the extra difficulty fun, it felt like playing Nocturne. Oh and on that note, Nocturne is the main SMT experience, the newer ones are decent but being on handhelds has had some impact. Nocturne is just a masterpiece in general though. So glad they did a remake of it.
Personal preference and all that. I didn't think it was a very enjoyable mechanic.
After seeing some of the things I've seen with Nocturne in terms of difficulty... "masterpiece" is not what I would conclude either. But, I have a feeling a lot of this depends on what you like from your gameplay experiences. I personally feel that the game pointing the finger of god at you and going "NO" before blasting you to pieces and forcing you to redo a bunch of grinding and progress is not good game design. I'm all for a challenging gameplay experience, but if the idea of the game going completely 180 on you and you could be wiped out at a moment's notice is supposed to be fun... then by all means, have fun. I, however, like to have the opportunity to at least react first and try to pull myself out of a tight situation, rather than have the enemy get the advantage due to RNG and decide that I need to go back an hour or two.

As for the guns, in p5 they were there to let you hit weaknesses mainly, a couple would do good damage like Ryuuji's and Haru's, and Anne had this one that charmed and she had (comparatively) lots of ammo so you could use it to get a ton of charm out of it, but overall I think they had their niche and they were totally fine. By making them have infinite ammo in p5r you are dumb if you don't magdumb on almost each fight cause the dps on that is insane, it's like a free attack skill or two without using up any hp. It got to a point where I just shifted the game's difficulty from normal to the highest, not sure what it was called, and it was still more or less the same outside of a couple of bad rng instadeaths where you get critted into megidolaon or something else.
True, which is why I think a middle ground could've (and probably should've) been met. Though, with more time to sit on the comments we made regarding it, I am starting to see the merits of the original's just a bit more. It just needed a slight tweak for P5R, not... what we got

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I'll be honest, I'm not sure an extended epilogue would've really changed my opinion on the story or how the game played. By the time I got to the end all I could conclude was "It was alright." That may have been at the fault of what the game removed, it's hard to tell. I just didn't jive with P3 like the others. I can safely say though, it wasn't the 3D environments and exploration that sold either P4 or P5 for me, it was everything else.

Personal preference and all that. I didn't think it was a very enjoyable mechanic.
After seeing some of the things I've seen with Nocturne in terms of difficulty... "masterpiece" is not what I would conclude either. But, I have a feeling a lot of this depends on what you like from your gameplay experiences. I personally feel that the game pointing the finger of god at you and going "NO" before blasting you to pieces and forcing you to redo a bunch of grinding and progress is not good game design. I'm all for a challenging gameplay experience, but if the idea of the game going completely 180 on you and you could be wiped out at a moment's notice is supposed to be fun... then by all means, have fun.

True, which is why I think a middle ground could've (and probably should've) been met. Though, with more time to sit on the comments we made regarding it, I am starting to see the merits of the original's just a bit more. It just needed a slight tweak for P5R, not... what we got
The answer just had a lot of flashbacks for the entire main cast, basically foundational backstory, like young Mitsuru being forced to live up to her dad's expectations, or Junpei's abusive family life. It completes the story in more ways than just letting you know what happened at the end. I can't see going without that info. But yeah the walking around town wasn't really the big deal at all haha. Also on the gameplay front, you play as Aigis and there's basically the hardest combat in the IP, and a new char in Metis who is kinda like a mix of Aigis and Shinji mechanically. Just a ton of fun.

Nocturne is a masterpiece at being SMT, with the good and the bad. Once you get used to using buffs a bit more (buffs are broken in general in smt) and building a balanced team it REALLY isn't that hard. The Matador fight is prolly the biggest difficulty hiccup, but it's very simple once you understand what you need to do as well. It just is very different in that if your protag dies you instantly game over so you have to build your party around that and not go for too risky builds too early. To put it into context, I don't think nocturne is any harder than dragon quest 8, that first Doulmagus fight around the first third of the game is just as bad as Matador imo. In fact I think it gave me more trouble on my first playthrough.

And hey, you don't have to go for the true fiend ending, you can skip the labyrinth stuff and the superbosses. That's a totally valid way to play too.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
TGS 2023 is here, and of course we got some great-looking titles. Here are some of my favorites:
Fuck it looks good, part of the charm of the original was its somewhat janky system, I'm afraid they'll sand of those while not bringing much to the table and delivering a generic open world RPG.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

A new LOTR game that’s not all about the one ring or killing shit? It’s about comfy life at the shire?

Okay, i am cautiously hopeful about this game. As long as it’s not a mobile game

Reactions: gorfias

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Fuck it looks good, part of the charm of the original was its somewhat janky system, I'm afraid they'll sand of those while not bringing much to the table and delivering a generic open world RPG.
well…
As someone who couldn’t get into the first one but likes the idea of what these games offer, i’m just gonna keep my eye on it.

i also like Dragon Age Inquisition though, so… i guess i’m part of the problem

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I am also a bit worried about the pawns and their personalities. In the first DD game, they really didn't add much to the party other than throwing few lines. After my recent experience with Baldur's Gate 3, it reminded me of how much party banters add to the dynamics of your group. Hell, even DA: I, or even DA 2, had them which did make gameplay better overall.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As someone who couldn’t get into the first one but likes the idea of what these games offer, i’m just gonna keep my eye on it.
I am also a bit worried about the pawns and their personalities. In the first DD game, they really didn't add much to the party other than throwing few lines. After my recent experience with Baldur's Gate 3, it reminded me of how much party banters add to the dynamics of your group. Hell, even DA: I, or even DA 2, had them which did make gameplay better overall.
Guys, it's Hideaki Itsuno. The savior of the Devil May Cry franchise. Dragon's Dogma II will be fine. I never played the first one, nor will, but this one not having jank makes sense. Itsuno is known for trying to stomp out jank whenever perfecting a sequel. He doesn't hate it, but at the same time, he likes giving his games the Itsuno/Capcom high polish.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
TGS trailer for Eiyuuden Chronicle:

Man those combat animations are so good. And the voices sound so nice too. It was worth the delay to refine it to this extent.

A new LOTR game that’s not all about the one ring or killing shit? It’s about comfy life at the shire?

Okay, i am cautiously hopeful about this game. As long as it’s not a mobile game
Oh, I thought this was an actual new tales of game, and was confused since they just announced the new dlc sequel for Arise lol.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Pretty extensive write-up about the new Vanillaware srpg! Has a bunch of new images at the end too.

It seems the game offers some nutty choices such as executing potential party members, nuts:

Also there's netplay. I dunno how you do Srpg netplay, but either way, can't wait to find out haha.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

The whole political stance aside, who tf are you to decide what counts as a charity? As long as it's helping vulnerable people, isn't that all that matters?

Well, I guess this is really happening. For Sony and all its fanboys who's salty over this, would you guys really be upset over bunch of crappy titles not coming over when you guys have quality first-party titles?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited: