What are you currently playing?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just finished Separate Ways Remake again on Hardcore for the first time. There is a lot more bullshit on this difficulty.
The village fight against Pesanta, el Gigante, and later the U3 Pesanta second phase ate my resources up like fucking crazy. Especially health items - Separate Ways (on Harcore at least) is stringent as all hell with its health items.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Especially health items - Separate Ways (on Hardcore at least) is stringent as all hell with its health items.
Even on Normal, the DLC got stingy with health items. I even got the attaché case that gives you more green herbs and it barely seemed to work. On Hardcore, it worked better there, so I don't what to tell you. On Normal I only died once, so it might have been the adaptive difficulty kicking in. On Hardcore, I died about 9 times and half those were from Saddler.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Am on chapter 14 in the story and also finished the tutorials in MK1, along with Reptile’s combo challenges. It’s kinda funny how the game gives you a trophy for completing the beginner section but nothing for actually completing them 100%.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Played Lies of P for two hours. Well, 1.5 hours. 30 minutes was spent trying to make my controller work with the game.

The parrying just does not feel good at all. I saw FakeSympathy's post about the parrying window being kind of reversed, but knowing how the mechanic works doesn't make it not unintuitive. Man, I was really hopeful for this game too.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Played Lies of P for two hours. Well, 1.5 hours. 30 minutes was spent trying to make my controller work with the game.

The parrying just does not feel good at all. I saw FakeSympathy's post about the parrying window being kind of reversed, but knowing how the mechanic works doesn't make it not unintuitive. Man, I was really hopeful for this game too.
Do you play Wo Long and Sekiro? Just curious 'cause I have a LOT of opinions about these various games' parrying and I'm just curious your frame of reference.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Do you play Wo Long and Sekiro? Just curious 'cause I have a LOT of opinions about these various games' parrying and I'm just curious your frame of reference.
This is essentially my first Souls-like game, so nothing of value for me to add sadly.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Zero Time Dilemma and, oh boy, the more I think about one of the plot twists, the sillier it gets...
So, Q wasn't actually the kid, but a blind deaf old man on a wheelchair who was never shown on camera before the big reveal?

I really can't tell if that concept is dumb or genius. However, there is no way someone as paranoid as Eric wouldn't have suspected him at all or vented directly at him at some point. Also, Q was supposed to be always in the same room as the rest of the Q-Team; but always out of the camera angles? Even while exploring the puzzle rooms? Did the rest of the team push his wheelchair to a corner before searching the room? Or did he always discretely move his wheelchair to hide himself in the shadows?

If the game wasn't so unpleasant, I would replay every single Q-Team part just to play the game of "where in this room is Q?"
In the 7 years since the game was released that plot twist has not been dethroned as my personal 'dumbest plot twist ever written'.
It's just wrong on every level. One, it's a twist for the player alone, the characters all know he's there and never mention him except for in extremely oblong ways, he's just hiding himself from the player for some unfathomable reason. Two, it's wrong on a basic mystery level. You can't have the culprit never appear or be hinted at in any (reasonable) way, it's just not satisfying, especially when if he was actually shown, every single player would immediately peg him as being Zero! Three, the game just plain cheats to keep him off screen. I think you'll find if you do go back and look for him, you will see his shadow here and there, and will be a couple times that an extra gunshot possibly indicates another person, but you'll also see a bunch of scenes that it's just completely impossible that he does not appear based on the camera angles. Four, it's just dumb. There was an old man in a wheelchair just off-screen the entire game. Just saying that sounds like a joke.

Beyond that the plot of the game is kind of a trainwreck. The game is supposed to be a resolution to the plot started in VLR, but it just isn't. Pretty much every plot thread left hanging in that game is either made unimportant or just ignored. But like I said before the game is a fantastic unintentional comedy. That final moment when Delta gets shot in the chest and goes "understand now, this is my power!" before immediately dying cracks me up every time. Like at the end of this video:

You would think that that is just more edited together nonsense like the rest of the video, but that's literally the scene. It doesn't even need editing to be a joke.

I do hope you'll go on to play AI: The Somnium Files and not be put off by ZTD. Uchikoshi makes a fantastic turn around with that game and it's actually my favorite game from him that I've seen.

Reactions: CaitSeith

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Even on Normal, the DLC got stingy with health items. I even got the attaché case that gives you more green herbs and it barely seemed to work. On Hardcore, it worked better there, so I don't what to yell you. On Normal I only died once, so it might have been the adaptive difficulty kicking king. On Hardcore, I died about 9 times and half those were from Saddler.
I actually got Saddler pretty easily, once I figured kiting him around a pillar was his weak spot. The first two tries he cut me down very quickly as I was trying to put as much distance between him and me - his projectile vommit, his hand "gun", it fucking wrecked me. The third, he ate up all my health items in a matter of seconds and I had nothing left in my health bar, but in an act of desperation I just tried to keep one of the pillars between us, firing my gun and shotgun at him. He moves quite slowly when he's tracking you, so it was rather easy to avoid all of his attacks, and he went down without too much trouble.

Anyway, finished the DLC. It was quite good, but I can't deny it kinda tested my patience at points. Especially near the end where it just opens up can after can of goons, and boarmen, and rocketlauncher dudes.

Capcom (atleast the team that worked on RE2R and RE4R) have a good eye for playing with fan expectations. Like how in RE2R you have Mr. X smashing through the wall from the conference room into the hallway, as opposed to the hallway into the conference, like in the Original. Or getting the bonus guns for both Leon and Claire in the 2nd Run, which were the guns that you could get in the Original if you triggered zombie Brad Vickers by not picking up anything on the way to the police station. In Separate Ways you get the scene where Ada goes into Mendez's house through the window, and leaving the room we have Mendez getting the drop on her from the same angle he got the drop on Leon in the Original RE4. A scene that is missing in the Remake, since there Leon goes through the house in reverse. It's these little beats that if you never played the Originals or only one or two times, you might not pick up on it. But if you have it's very satisfying.

Then there's a lot of Separate Ways which is just cut content from the Original main game, like the rock crushers, the gondola, the laser hallway, and the U3 fight, and it was very nice to see this still make it to the Remake. The U3 fight was especially well integrated, really didn't expect to see that. It was weird too, because as I got to the Boss arena for the final showdown against the cloaked henceman, I was thinking 'Huh, a sandpit with some barrels strewn about, and there in the back is a walkway that's lit in a way that looks very much like the suspended cages where you encounter the U3 in the Original. Almost like this is going to be the U3 fight, but that's not the case because I'm fighting the other of Salazar's elite henceman. Wait, the cloak is coming off - wait it IS the U3 fight!' A better send-off than in the Original honestly, since there he gets passively absorbed along with Salazar into the big meat flower.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
desperation I just tried to keep one of the pillars between us, firing my gun and shotgun at him. He moves quite slowly when he's tracking you, so it was rather easy to avoid all of his attacks, and he went down without too much trouble.
I must have gotten unlucky then. The strategy worked fine for me on Normal, but on Hardcore, the pillar trick barely worked and most of his tentacle melee attacks went through the pillars. It did not destroy the pillars, it literally went through their geometry.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I must have gotten unlucky then. The strategy worked fine for me on Normal, but on Hardcore, the pillar trick barely worked and most of his tentacle melee attacks went through the pillars. It did not destroy the pillars, it literally went through their geometry.
They did clip through, but either I was able to avoid them easily, or their hitbox is just not as big as it seems.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I managed to do a run of Double Dragon Gaiden with everything on the highest difficulty setting, and only used one continue. I got about $64,000+ for the run. My personal best. I did go with the standard duo of Billy and Jimmy.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Then there's a lot of Separate Ways which is just cut content from the Original main game, like the rock crushers, the gondola, the laser hallway, and the U3 fight, and it was very nice to see this still make it to the Remake.
They also threw in the sewer level with the novistadors and the big ass drill trap. And I'm pretty sure the cage fight with the suits of armor is meant to double the one Leon has with the Garrador in OG, since you also have to deal with pesky zealots with crossbows from behind bars as well. The remake just turned that into a (pretty cool) cutscene for Leon so it's nice that you can play something similar here. Come think of it the wine bottle in Separate Ways might be a reference to that one puzzle in OG.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Even on Normal, the DLC got stingy with health items. I even got the attaché case that gives you more green herbs and it barely seemed to work. On Hardcore, it worked better there, so I don't what to yell you. On Normal I only died once, so it might have been the adaptive difficulty kicking king. On Hardcore, I died about 9 times and half those were from Saddler.
Only time I died on Standard was to the super scripted sequence with Martinico (missed a turn - whoops). Saddler seemed tough but I basically tanked him with all the heals I hadn't really been using.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Only time I died on Standard was to the super scripted sequence with Martinico (missed a turn - whoops). Saddler seemed tough but I basically tanked him with all the heals I hadn't really been using.
I died once from the crusher not realizing what it was on Normal. That was my only death.

BTW, were you able to get the Handcannon yet and go for that speedrun?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I died once from the crusher not realizing what it was on Normal. That was my only death.

BTW, were you able to get the Handcannon yet and go for that speedrun?
I got the Handcannon from HUNKing my way through Mercernaries pre-patch but I'm saving the Platinum for my 7,000th trophy so I can have it as a milestone on PSN. Currently sitting at 6,841 trophies so I have to get 155 more by playing something else before I worry about speedrunning on Standard/Hardcore. No rush, should be a while.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They also threw in the sewer level with the novistadors and the big ass drill trap. And I'm pretty sure the cage fight with the suits of armor is meant to double the one Leon has with the Garrador in OG, since you also have to deal with pesky zealots with crossbows from behind bars as well. The remake just turned that into a (pretty cool) cutscene for Leon so it's nice that you can play something similar here. Come think of it the wine bottle in Separate Ways might be a reference to that one puzzle in OG.
Yep, forgot about that drill. Even the decor in the armored suit section is very reminiscent of the Original castle's look; very bright, not as dank and shadowy as in the Remake.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I'm playing Propagation: Paradise Hotel, a VR game I picked up in a Humble Bundle. While so far the gameplay is fairly simplistic zombie survival stuff and the story is nothing to write home about (the way the character you meet when the game opens dies is so heavily telegraphed that Samuel Morse would blush), I have to give it full props for the atmosphere, as it takes place in a dilapidated hotel during a thunderstorm, and isn't afraid to present the player with complete darkness occasionally lit with lightning flashes (and with a weak flashlight that runs through batteries like me eating tacos).
Ah, i had the old Propagation (Techdemo?) The controls on that were really nice, i remember. Very intuitive for me, so that after a few minutes i was flipping out Shotgun, reloading blindly. Emptying the gun and quick-switch to pistol and such. It was fun, but super-short.

On the other side i totally ran against a wall be trying "Ragnaröck" from the same developer. Just that the arms are shorter than my own and all drums move with me. Started fiddling with the settings so much that everything was crooked and off and then threw the game away (metaphorically) in frustration.

Hm, should play more VR again... but so lazy clearing out the room for movement...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Playing Fallen Order on PC this time, after giving up on the janky PS4 version. It's definitely a better experience, but really disappointed at the level of jank that is still here.

Also for fuck's sake, unskippable cutscenes in this day and age?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Playing Fallen Order on PC this time, after giving up on the janky PS4 version. It's definitely a better experience, but really disappointed at the level of jank that is still here.

Also for fuck's sake, unskippable cutscenes in this day and age?
You couldn't skip cutscenes and God of War 4, until after a patch update that happened around late summer. Developers need to stop doing unskippable cutscenes.