General Gaming News.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I knew it would happened someday, but I was not expecting this year. At least Kamiya is leaving on good terms. Which isn't really surprising.

Good riddance to the racist bastard, man was a toxic PoS on twitter as a game dev.

Hopefully it also pushes Platinum further down the whole so more sensibly minded devs can take over.

Blessed be KonradLeijon!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kamiya could be a trolling dickhead at times on Twitter, but he's not racist last I checked. I never went to his Twitter often, nor followed the dumb drama and reactions. I am own gripes with the guy, but similar to Mikami, he provided so much to do the gaming industry and influence. They've done more than that shit head Itigaki ever could. While his memes live on in the company, the people at Platinum all have their own path they want to follow. You or I don't dictate shit for them.

You're full of shit as usual, and I do not why you still bother responding to me. Don't even bother making another response; I won't be listening.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not really. There's always something to play. Besides, that is from the AAA angle. Indies will be pumping them out, and that will more than keep me satisfied.
Actually itll probably be more of a 2025 problem anyway as stuff set to release in 2024 is beyond the need for acting at this point in production.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Might as well as take the exit now. The game pass won't be your saving grace.

This is kinda on you Phill; You chose to not to do anything with all those studios accquired. You chose that Xbox should focus more on features, not first-party games. You chose to let Halo 5 and Infinite release the way it is. And you chose to cancel nearly all the promising first-party titles. Don Mattrick may have gave you a terrible place to start, but you had plenty of opportunity to fix it.

Sony and Nintendo may have issues on their own, but at least they understand what keeps people buying their stuff.
Microsoft was too hands off with the devs they acquired. They treated their 1st party IP and companies as if they were 3rd party.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Another strike is happening.
Eh... I don't think this will accomplish much. Video-games aren't like movies which mostly go through a single bottleneck (Hollywood). And the power of the indie scene will offset the repercussions on consumers. I hope they succeed, but I'm not confident in their chances.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Eh... I don't think this will accomplish much. Video-games aren't like movies which mostly go through a single bottleneck (Hollywood). And the power of the indie scene will offset the repercussions on consumers. I hope they succeed, but I'm not confident in their chances.
I don't think it's a rational argument to be honest. They are afraid of AI replacing them, but AI has a long way to go before it can do that kind of emotional replacement. Constantly complaining about your job will only further cause companies to try to replace you, so maybe do less of that.

Also anyone who've ever done work in the arts can tell you that it's an extremely unstable career. There are countless actors, musicians, painters, who all can't get work for one reason or another (usually just not being very good), and it's the nature of it. Hell there are major celebrities and fantastic musicians who get one gig and never work in the business again. That's usually why they refer to the arts as "passion careers" as they are things you do because you genuinely enjoy performing or whatever, not to actually make a living.

It's great if you can make a living off your art or talents, but it's never a guarantee.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I don't think it's a rational argument to be honest. They are afraid of AI replacing them, but AI has a long way to go before it can do that kind of emotional replacement. Constantly complaining about your job will only further cause companies to try to replace you, so maybe do less of that.

Also anyone who've ever done work in the arts can tell you that it's an extremely unstable career. There are countless actors, musicians, painters, who all can't get work for one reason or another (usually just not being very good), and it's the nature of it. Hell there are major celebrities and fantastic musicians who get one gig and never work in the business again. That's usually why they refer to the arts as "passion careers" as they are things you do because you genuinely enjoy performing or whatever, not to actually make a living.

It's great if you can make a living off your art or talents, but it's never a guarantee.
Mhm. That links back to why those that did arts as a full profession were often looked down on in centuries past.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Mhm. That links back to why those that did arts as a full profession were often looked down on in centuries past.
It's a strange thing for sure. But that's why the label "starving artist" used to have real meaning, because these people struggled for their passion and did everything possible to make it big. They had determination.

These days you have these union actors worth millions of dollars crying foul and it's harder to feel sorry for them especially when their worries come from a place of insecurity rather than any basis in any facts.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
You're full of shit as usual, and I do not why you still bother responding to me. Don't even bother making another response; I won't be listening.
My brother in christ, continued responses like this show you are listening, that you will keep listening, and you give people what they want by acknowledging them... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reactions: Hawki

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My brother in christ, continued responses like this show you are listening, that you will keep listening, and you give people what they want by acknowledging them... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
I know what you mean, but this one I had to step in. I'm not going to let somebody disrespect Kamiya. Especially if it's untrue. I've already said my piece and moved on.

Assuming a corporation doesn't steal your stuff and claim it as their own, and you get none of the money you're owed. Something that still happens in all parts of the creative and entertainment industry. Doesn't matter if it's games, movies, comic books, TV shows, or anime and manga.

Constantly complaining about your job will only further cause companies to try to replace you, so maybe do less of that.
They only complain because they keep getting treated like crap and stepped on. I'm not going to defend every single developer out there, but you know by this point that the industry has a lot of shitty people in the high spot. Not everyone obviously, but a lot of them. You already know this. So let's not pretend otherwise or act like it's not a big deal. Don't forget what happened with Ubisoft and Activision. I'll remind you a million times again and again.
You're already counting them out before they even started. I can't predict what's going to happen, but more than likely something is going to stick.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Assuming a corporation doesn't steal your stuff and claim it as their own, and you get none of the money you're owed.
That boils down to whatever contract you sign for the job. If you sign away your rights to your work or talent that's a "you" problem.

They only complain because they keep getting treated like crap and stepped on. I'm not going to defend every developer out there, but you know by this point that the industry has a lot of shitty people in the high spot. Not everyone obviously, but a lot of them. You already know this. So let's not pretend otherwise or act like it's not a big deal. Don't forget what happened with Ubisoft and activision. I'll remind you a million times again and again.
I've not heard of bad treatment of voice over actors in a long time. And typically that's been with anime dubbed companies like Funimation that expect the guy playing Goku to be able to scream 40 hours a week. Video game wise, the complaint is mostly that the actors don't feel paid enough which again makes no sense if you signed up for a job paying X, then why moan when you made X?

I honestly don't remember what incident you are talking about with Ubisoft and AVTI. Genuinely, if we spoke about it I don't remember. I mean....Ubisoft and ATVI are shit but I can't recall something dealing with voice actors, only sexual assault...which is worse.