Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well...I've just had to cancel a Norwegian cruise I was going to start tomorrow, my 3rd ever foreign holiday as an adult, first holiday in 7 years, because an autoimmune disease that has been laying low for a year or so has flared up again. I have a platelet count of 4 so the hospital very strongly advised me not to go lest I spontaneously start bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ or exsanguinate from a papercut or brushing my teeth. FFS.

That seems to have been written in an ascending order of severity. I mean, I'm sorry you're going to miss your cruise, but the complaint really should have started with the flare up of an illness that might have you "bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ."

Seriously though, I hope you get through this; it sounds really terrible. There will always be other cruises, but avoiding "bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ" should be your focus and #1 priority, my friend.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That seems to have been written in an ascending order of severity. I mean, I'm sorry you're going to miss your cruise, but the complaint really should have started with the flare up of an illness that might have you "bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ."

Seriously though, I hope you get through this; it sounds really terrible. There will always be other cruises, but avoiding "bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ" should be your focus and #1 priority, my friend.
Yeah, second that. Though, never been a fan of cruises myself anyway. I know it's not very helpful of me saying "get well soon", but it's the most I can do over the net, so get well soon.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Well...I've just had to cancel a Norwegian cruise I was going to start tomorrow, my 3rd ever foreign holiday as an adult, first holiday in 7 years, because an autoimmune disease that has been laying low for a year or so has flared up again. I have a platelet count of 4 so the hospital very strongly advised me not to go lest I spontaneously start bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ or exsanguinate from a papercut or brushing my teeth. FFS.
Going to add my "please don't bleed out of your internal organs, on a cruise or otherwise" vote here.

May the damnable disease go once more into remission.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I bought a USB switch. It's meant to let me switch all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, mic) between my work laptop and personal PC. Plugged it in before a work call, the light indicating Port 1 was active was on. But it wasn't working! So I switched back the setup I'd always been using, and decided to diagnose it later.

Turns out the absolute gremlins who designed and manufactured this thing put Port 2 on the left and Port 1 on the right. Which is weird enough, most cultures would think 1 is left and 2 right. WHICH IS WHAT THEY DID FOR THE FUCKING INDICATOR LIGHTS. Obviously I can just switch the cables for the ports, but that nobody thought to speak up for however long it took to get this on shelves is insane. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

On a positive note, the switch actually works really well. Very convenient to just switch over to another device with just a tap of a button, instead of two taps and one unplugging and plugging of a cable.
Oh, you got a KVM, just, without the V.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

Going to add my "please don't bleed out of your internal organs, on a cruise or otherwise" vote here.

May the damnable disease go once more into remission.
Thanks, it is a possibility rather than a guarantee, I managed to get through the last 18 month bout with only one episode of suddenly getting my period (which was a bit of a shock, I can tell you) so maybe I can be a bit blase about it, but if it were to happen on a ship in the North sea I'd be in serious trouble, so I'm taking their advice.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm trying to make a coat, but my terrible fabric choice and inherent lack of skill make it look like I'm going to a Peaky Blinders convention held in a 1950s Waitrose.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
We live on a block on a hill, and the dipshits who live at the top of the hill started parking their cars right across from our house. The lot opposite to us is empty, so I assume that's why they chose it, but Jesus Christ, there are literally hundreds of other places they could park that wouldn't ridiculously narrow our street and make it harder for us to enter and exit our garage. And I am not joking about there being hundreds of other places to park, I genuinely cannot think of a reason other that they are trying to spite us for some reason. We don't even know who these assholes are.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
After repairing minor leak in our pool last year, we had a doozie of a leak on the other side, this one at the main drain. Our pool was dropping close to two feet every couple of days. Anyway, as we had zero choice, we called a repair company, and the offered while not ideal, they could simply plug the main drain, and let our skimmers take care of water circulation. Yay! MUCH cheaper than digging down to the line. And just as we were prepared to celebrate... he discovered another, much bigger leak... under the concrete of our patio.

Long story short, it's been 3 days, there are two 18"x18" holes in our concrete and two two-foot deep holes in our yard, and he's just now confirmed the leak is fixed. Now he just has to put everything back together, patch our concrete, then put his hand out for what I'm certain is going to be a sizeable bill...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
After repairing minor leak in our pool last year, we had a doozie of a leak on the other side, this one at the main drain. Our pool was dropping close to two feet every couple of days. Anyway, as we had zero choice, we called a repair company, and the offered while not ideal, they could simply plug the main drain, and let our skimmers take care of water circulation. Yay! MUCH cheaper than digging down to the line. And just as we were prepared to celebrate... he discovered another, much bigger leak... under the concrete of our patio.

Long story short, it's been 3 days, there are two 18"x18" holes in our concrete and two two-foot deep holes in our yard, and he's just now confirmed the leak is fixed. Now he just has to put everything back together, patch our concrete, then put his hand out for what I'm certain is going to be a sizeable bill...
You can have disposable income, or you can have an in-ground pool.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
My monitor started to crap out end of last week, so I got myself a fancyish new 27" curved screen 180Hz thing. Power pack starts shorting after a day. Got the replacement power pack today. Monitor now won't pick up the signal from my PC, so clearly the shitty power pack fried something in the monitor. Return and refund. Piece of crap.

Also today, my wing mirror glass fell out on the way to work. Left work early to pick up a new one from Mill Autos. They don't have one. Drive 40 mins, get stuck in school run traffic because Halfords is showing them in stock. They fucking don't. Ordered from Mill for tomorrow at least (although I'm not counting my chickens)

Picked up some double glazed windows for my kitchen and bathroom today as well. Got them home, they're missing a vent. They ask me to come back in to pick one up. Get there, they fuck around for 10 minutes before realising they don't have one and will have to order it in. Now I have 2 sets of UPVC windows sitting in my living room getting in the way.

Also my girlfriend has had some rather bad news but I've been in such a foul mood I haven't really been able to react the way I should, which has pissed me off with myself even more.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Ahnuld complains and I can’t really disagree -

Western society especially has gotten far too sensitive and coddling, enabling to avoid hurt feelings and confrontations, etc. One of the biggest problems is how little is being done to teach kids basic life skills like effective communication, money management, building self discipline, etc. At least that I can recall personally. All we’re basically taught is how to be functional enough to eventually make and spend money.

Also had to look it up, but Ozempic is a type 2 diabetes drug.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Western society especially has gotten far too sensitive and coddling, enabling to avoid hurt feelings and confrontations, etc. One of the biggest problems is little is being done to teach kids how to deal with life, or building self discipline. At least that I can recall personally. All we’re basically taught is how to be functional enough to eventually make and spend money.

Doesn't he also say it's because people today have it too good? *looks around*

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Doesn't he also say it's because people today have it too good? *looks around*
Yeah late stage capitalism has fucked over a lot of less fortunate people and that’s something rich people never want to acknowledge, but at the same time people either don’t remember or were never aware of how much more people had to struggle just to put food on the table generations ago. Companies still take advantage of workers even with increased labor laws but not like back then, with every type of abuse going unchecked. And the thing is, they (the working class) largely just dealt with it and never complained. At least not like today (well, maybe if they had the internet).

Not saying some of it isn’t justified, but playing the victim, while the disappearing middle class work and pay higher taxes to enable increasing swaths of lethargy, saying screw it all while waiting for/expecting someone to help, etc. isn’t a good path forward either. The underlying problem is our dysfunctional system feeds into this and makes it tougher to break away, but it isn’t impossible. It takes generally what he’s saying, albeit with a bit of luck sometimes.

He grew up with far, far less and is obviously an exceptional case, but has also seen a lot happen in the past five decades that led to his conclusions.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Western society especially has gotten far too sensitive and coddling, enabling to avoid hurt feelings and confrontations, etc. One of the biggest problems is how little is being done to teach kids basic life skills like effective communication, money management, building self discipline, etc. At least that I can recall personally. All we’re basically taught is how to be functional enough to eventually make and spend money.

He's not wrong. Recent generations have been coddled and buffeted from the realities of the world to the point that many don't really know how to cope when they have to face them, and it's too late to learn those lessons any other way than the hard way. Parents have started prioritizing their children's happiness and comfort over the reality that life isn't easy, and sometimes you will have to work hard and struggle.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
He's not wrong. Recent generations have been coddled and buffeted from the realities of the world to the point that many don't really know how to cope when they have to face them, and it's too late to learn those lessons any other way than the hard way. Parents have started prioritizing their children's happiness and comfort over the reality that life isn't easy, and sometimes you will have to work hard and struggle.

Yeah *raises hand with 5 year old son who’s been way too spoiled and typically has attitude if he doesn’t get his way*. It’s been a tough cycle to break haha. At least he’s been well-behaved at school (so far…).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah late stage capitalism has fucked over a lot of less fortunate people and that’s something rich people never want to acknowledge, but at the same time people either don’t remember or were never aware of how much more people had to struggle just to put food on the table generations ago. Companies still take advantage of workers even with increased labor laws but not like back then, with every type of abuse going unchecked. And the thing is, they (the working class) largely just dealt with it and never complained. At least not like today (well, maybe if they had the internet).
People have been saying the younger generation is soft for centuries. Which, ok, doesn't mean they aren't right now, or at any other given moment in time.

As for not complaining about it, surely that's the basis of protests and labour movements? If we are to talk about the US, they used to market Thompson guns to factory owners worried about unhappy workers, but that didn't stop the workers from complaining, and more. Not to mention the Bonus army.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

As much as I like Arnold Schwarzenegger, you don't need celebrities like him pointing this out. Okay people have been spoiled. What are you going to do about it? Other than pointing out the obvious. I know he's a cool guy and has done good things, but there are plenty of other celebrities or people who treated like they're celebrities pointing out the same thing, yet either do nothing or have not my problem attitude about America or other countries
problems spoiling their kids.

People have been saying the younger generation is soft for centuries. Which, ok, doesn't mean they aren't right now, or at any other given moment in time.

As for not complaining about it, surely that's the basis of protests and labour movements? If we are to talk about the US, they used to market Thompson guns to factory owners worried about unhappy workers, but that didn't stop the workers from complaining, and more. Not to mention the Bonus army.
Thank you! Thank you so much. All I feel is this is another case of older generations blaming younger ones (which the older ones created or made worse) . It's the same dumb cycle we've seen again and again.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Not saying some of it isn’t justified, but playing the victim, while the disappearing middle class work and pay higher taxes to enable increasing swaths of lethargy, saying screw it all while waiting for/expecting someone to help, etc. isn’t a good path forward either. The underlying problem is our dysfunctional system feeds into this and makes it tougher to break away, but it isn’t impossible. It takes generally what he’s saying, albeit with a bit of luck sometimes.

He grew up with far, far less and is obviously an exceptional case, but has also seen a lot happen in the past four decades that led to his conclusions.
Eh, can only speak for my own experience, but the generation above mine (so, not quite boomers I think) is the most fucking whingy, entitled, life-isn't-what-we-were-promised bunch of sadsacks out there. Nothing's ever good enough and it's always someone else's fault.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, can only speak for my own experience, but the generation above mine (so, not quite boomers I think) is the most fucking whingy, entitled, life-isn't-what-we-were-promised bunch of sadsacks out there. Nothing's ever good enough and it's always someone else's fault.
GenXers?