Spider-Man 2 - Does whatever a spider can do

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And none of those morons realize it’s better to have 12 hours of quality storytelling rather than 100 hours of drawn-out, boring experience
Their argument is equivalent of a guy buying a brand new, shiny, car or a big ass gun to compensate for the fact that they have a small dick.

I've gotten a 750 hour experience from an excellent 2-hour game with more replay value than Starfield ever could give me. Beat that jackasses.

Anyone wants to guess what the game is in question?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Nor do they consider it's just someone doing nothing but the MSQ and doesn't count any extras like side missions and challenges.
If 12 hours is the main story and doesn't count the side stuff, that's actually really impressive. A lot of games if you just do the main story will barely manage 5 hours. I've still only played the first of the Insomniac Spider-Man games and the depth of content for that game outside of the main story is definitely a massive plus. Unlike some other games, said side content feeds into the overall narrative as well.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
People are posting full playthroughs on twitter and trying to flex that the story is only 12 hours long, because Starfield is 100s of hours long and thats somehow a brag.

I dont know how my twitter feed became full of xbox cope but its really cringy.
Sounds like you’ve been Musked!

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If 12 hours is the main story and doesn't count the side stuff, that's actually really impressive. A lot of games if you just do the main story will barely manage 5 hours. I've still only played the first of the Insomniac Spider-Man games and the depth of content for that game outside of the main story is definitely a massive plus. Unlike some other games, said side content feeds into the overall narrative as well.
2018's SpiderMan was one of my favorite open world games because of how it dealt with side content and collectibles. In most open world games a side activity or collectible is introduced but you really can't complete them until the end of the game. Spider-Man allowed you to get every collectible right away and do every side mission in whatever category right away. This meant you could progress through the story, get introduced to a collectible (for example peter's backpacks) then immediately go around and complete that activity if you want.

What further made it great was that web swinging around the city was genuinely fun so it made the collectibles not ever feel like a chore. And Spider-Man2 has even better traversal and boarders on too good according to Skill up. So even better tbh.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

I actually can see this working; Sort of like Miles Morales game, they can re-use some of the assets while adding in their own identity. Maybe something that's reminiscent of Prototype or Infamous, where you don't exactly save the day by the conventional sense

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe something that's reminiscent of Prototype or Infamous, where you don't exactly save the day by the conventional sense
I found out about this earlier today. Ironic, because Protoype is considered the best Venom game ever made. At some point that will no longer be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So im about 6 hours into the game and i can safely say...its more of the same. They make attempts to do new things with the wing suit and a wider array of tools available quickly to your combat but it still remains the same game. It is great because so was 2018 Spider-Man, but it doesnt do things more sequels tend to do in really expanding things.

Compare it to GoW Ragnarok where your core gameplay is mostly the same but the game itself is expanded in scope, size, new weapons, new characters, more things to do.

Spider-Man 2 is almost exactly the same game in terms of scope and whats available. So that is a bit of a bummer, but at the same time I also cant really think of what they could have done to expand the scope of the game overall in order to make the game feel like a bigger better version of the previous game.

One thing I did notice is that there isnt really any reason for the player to swap between Spider-Mans. For the most part being Peter or Miles doesnt matter for any open world activities. The only exception to this is certain specific side missions required one Spider-Man over the other. Otherwise youll want to be Miles all the time because his combat options with the lightning powers are just better.

This probably would have been my GOTY despite the lack of growth from the last game, if not for Baldur's Gate 3

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Spider-Man 2 is almost exactly the same game in terms of scope and whats available. So that is a bit of a bummer, but at the same time I also cant really think of what they could have done to expand the scope of the game overall in order to make the game feel like a bigger better version of the previous game.
This is a problem I figured they'd run into. Eventhough this is a flagship series for Sony along with God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon, i.e. something they'll want to continue making, unlike those games it can never really change at all. Spider-Man is always going to have to be Spider-Man in New York. It can be a different Spider person and a slightly bigger or different New York, but those parameters are always going to be there.

The Arkham games had the benefit of starting off in an asylum, then moving to a part of Gotham, and then the entirety of Gotham, but Spider-Man PS4 already gave us New York from the get-go, so settings wise there's very little to really expand on or change. The next Spider-Man game is undoubtedly going to be set in new York, and so will the one after that. Maybe we can get a Spider-Gwen game, but besides character swaps and graphical advancement I don't think there's much else this series can offer diffferently.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is a problem I figured they'd run into. Eventhough this is a flagship series for Sony along with God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon, i.e. something they'll want to continue making, unlike those games it can never really change at all. Spider-Man is always going to have to be Spider-Man in New York. It can be a different Spider person and a slightly bigger or different New York, but those parameters are always going to be there.

The Arkham games had the benefit of starting off in an asylum, then moving to a part of Gotham, and then the entirety of Gotham, but Spider-Man PS4 already gave us New York from the get-go, so settings wise there's very little to really expand on or change. The next Spider-Man game is undoubtedly going to be set in new York, and so will the one after that. Maybe we can get a Spider-Gwen game, but besides character swaps and graphical advancement I don't think there's much else this series can offer diffferently.
I thought about this and the clear answer is simple. Spider-Verse. Control several Spiders across a bunch of different dimentions of New York which all have plots that lead into a colide with every other universe. That way you can play with what New York is, without actually leaving New York, you can invent powers for all kinda of different types of Spider-Man and really let crestivity shine. Plus with several dimentions you expand the scope of the game without having to technically expand the scope.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
One thing I did notice is that there isnt really any reason for the player to swap between Spider-Mans. For the most part being Peter or Miles doesnt matter for any open world activities. The only exception to this is certain specific side missions required one Spider-Man over the other. Otherwise youll want to be Miles all the time because his combat options with the lightning powers are just better.
Yeah, I'm convinced this is why with Arkham Knight, Rocksteady removed the option to traverse Gotham as Catwoman. I mean I liked her in Arkham City, but the novelty of playing as her quickly wore off, especially on the open-world movements. AK had it right when I could play as her during very specific situations.

With the game's ending teasing yet another web-swinger, I am praying it doesn't sacrifice the pacing of the story

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
By the way, there's a difficulty slider for the web swinging now. I was unaware of this till I saw a stream by Snapcube, but you can make the swinging much less assisted as it previously was. This will make it closer to the swinging in Spider-Man 2 (the first one), where it's a bit more pendulum-esque. For example, if you shoot a webline to the right of you while swinging you will hail toward the right the lower you have the slider, forcing you to adjust to the left with the analog stick. You also won't get that magic lift off the ground if you're swinging too low - if you don't have enough height you'll simply touchdown on the ground (depended on how low the slider is). I have it turned down all the way and it's giving the web swinging a bit more engagement, less automatism.

I also turned on fall damage, but so far it hasn't really shown itself. And I didn't think I'd like the web wings initially, but I've really taken to them. They're good fun. Navigating yourself in between buildings at top speed can be very exhilarating.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Spider-Man is always going to have to be Spider-Man in New York. It can be a different Spider person and a slightly bigger or different New York, but those parameters are always going to be there.
I sort of see what you mean, but #1 & Miles Morales were limited to Manhattan, while #2 covers a lot more of the city-- Brooklyn, Queens etc. We haven't had this much of the city before so it is quite literally a significant increase in scale.

Combat and style seem very, very similar though.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I sort of see what you mean, but #1 & Miles Morales were limited to Manhattan, while #2 covers a lot more of the city-- Brooklyn, Queens etc. We haven't had this much of the city before so it is quite literally a significant increase in scale.
Most of the time I really can't tell whether I'm in Manhattan, or Brooklyn and Queens. A skyscraper is a skyscraper really.

The fact that you do need to cross an entire river from time to time does change traversal up a bit though, so that's one thing about the expanded map that I can appreciate. Again like in the previous games there's a fast travel, but God knows why anyone would want to use it.

Reactions: Silvanus

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought about this and the clear answer is simple. Spider-Verse. Control several Spiders across a bunch of different dimentions of New York which all have plots that lead into a colide with every other universe. That way you can play with what New York is, without actually leaving New York, you can invent powers for all kinda of different types of Spider-Man and really let crestivity shine. Plus with several dimentions you expand the scope of the game without having to technically expand the scope.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Again like in the previous games there's a fast travel, but God knows why anyone would want to use it.
I use fast travel a couple times in Miles Morales. It didn't bother me much then, and it will not now. Sometimes it does make a nice convenience. Plus, it was just fun seeing different animations for Miles on the train.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Is there some rule in gaming where every women has to be taken or not interested in men? Black Cat had a son in the first game, but she is a lesbian now.

There is a Gay couple you help with a very romantic Homecoming proposal that i thought was lovely. Couple gay nerds trying to out nerd each other it was sweet. But they are original characters so they fit into the world well. Trying to shake up the inclusion by modifying established characters is really annoying.

I would be okay if they were doing a different dimentional version of Felicia but they arent and they already established her heterosexuality in the first game. She is Peter's ex on top of having a kid with someone else. I suppose the argument can be made that she was always bi, and she just batting tacos these days but the transition is so jarring.

Also knowing shes not into men completely ruins her feme fetal motif. Her allure is her ability to sexually confuse Spider-Man, but when you immediately have her talking about her girlfriend all that mystery about her goes out the window and she loses all point as a character in Spider-Man's world.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Is there some rule in gaming where every women has to be taken or not interested in men? Black Cat had a son in the first game, but she is a lesbian now.

There is a Gay couple you help with a very romantic Homecoming proposal that i thought was lovely. Couple gay nerds trying to out nerd each other it was sweet. But they are original characters so they fit into the world well. Trying to shake up the inclusion by modifying established characters is really annoying.

I would be okay if they were doing a different dimentional version of Felicia but they arent and they already established her heterosexuality in the first game. She is Peter's ex on top of having a kid with someone else. I suppose the argument can be made that she was always bi, and she just batting tacos these days but the transition is so jarring.

Also knowing shes not into men completely ruins her feme fetal motif. Her allure is her ability to sexually confuse Spider-Man, but when you immediately have her talking about her girlfriend all that mystery about her goes out the window and she loses all point as a character in Spider-Man's world.
Black Cat was apparently already confirmed bisexual in 2021, so yes she is still into men as well. And gay, straight, or bi, I don't see why this would ruin her as femme fatale.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is there some rule in gaming where every women has to be taken or not interested in men?
Last when I checked: no. Don't what else you've been playing, but it's not natural rule of thumb everyone's been doing.

Some versions of the character are Bi in the comics. Insomniac already confirmed that this version is Bi in 2021. Besides, her sexual preference is the least of her problems. The PS4/5 version of Felicia Hardy is manipulative biatch you're supposed to find funny and endearing. I know she a grey-shaded character/anti-hero, but the 90s version from The Animated Series is a more true/better take on the character's morality. Even the Black Cat from the Defenders 2017 Comic would tell her to fuck off. PS_Felicia is a designated anti-hero not worth rooting for, nor showing any sympathy.

Also knowing shes not into men completely ruins her feme fetal motif.
No it doesn't; cut the shit. You can have a femme fatale be gay/lesbian or bi (same if the genders were reversed), and still work. Since this version is bi, her femme fatale tricks can work on men and women. Though obviously, it would be harder for her to manipulate women compared to men, but given who this version is, the manipulations wouldn't be too hard for Felicia.

Black Cat was apparently already confirmed bisexual in 2021, so yes she is still into men as well. And gay, straight, or bi, I don't see why this would ruin her as femme fatale.
Thank you and you beat me to it. I was driving at the time when you typed this.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bisexuals are a thing.

Source: am one.

Edit: I know you also said "I suppose the argument could be made she was always bi", but the rest of the post seems like you either don't really get what bisexuality is or don't consider it a possibility. I.e., ya say it's 'jarring' for someone to date a guy and then later date a girl. It's... it's not, what's what bisexuality often involves.

Last edited: