United States of America
Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No it is the same approach that hetero relationships show. Straight people dont walk around telling people who straight they are, in reality or in fiction.
:rolleyes: But Black Cat didn't do that. She just referred to her girlfriend. Straight people refer to their girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands/wives all the time in exactly the same way.

What actually happens is you see family photos or characters holding hands or whatever to show the player the relationship without telling them.
Do you talk to people? People I interact with tell me what their partners are up to. Friends. Colleagues. It's extremely normal.

Again its the nature of the writers feeling like they have to make the character be up front with the player and say "Im gay" at first opportunity.
Black Cat literally never mentioned her sexuality. She talked about her girlfriend in exactly the same way people talk about their opposite-sex partners all the time, both IRL and in games. You are the one focusing on sexuality here.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*Enters thread to talk about cool new game...
Sees a bunch of weirdo internet sexual/gender internet hang-up bullshit.
Runs away*
Only Critical (and a few I'm not going to bother naming) would start something silly like this.

If you have any honest thoughts about the game, then feel free to share. Especially if it's gameplay related.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
[sarcasm]
*sigh* another Ubisoft formula "open world" game with icons all over the map, repetitive side content, and hand-holding quests that cater to the lowest common denominator by telling you what to do and focusing on graphics and spectacle. And so much talking and cinematic cut scenes, it's like you're watching a movie not playing a game*
[/sarcasm]

Because it hit me yesterday while greatly enjoying this game how it does everything that has been criticized in many Ubisoft and first party Sony games. Especially the hand-holding- my god the main quests are almost as bad as Red Dead 2 in how it is always just telling you what to do and where to go. But like Red Dead, it is being praised. Why? I guess because it's short, and everybody likes the character of Spiderman maybe.

Since I have no problem with the "Ubisoft" or "Sony" model, I am of course genuinely enjoying it.

I'm taking my time with it, doing every side thing I come across before moving on to the next story mission. I haven't even gotten to Venom yet.

What can I say that hasn't already been said other than this game will be my model for what a big-budget current-console-gen game should be- graphically and interactively awesome, great to look at, not full of extra bullshit that has nothing to do with the core gameplay or story, voice and mo-cap actors and animators that bring it hard, and the damn thing works on release day.

In terms of gameplay, it's perfect. Of course the swinging is still great, and the wings and the ground launch add just the right amount of new stuff (SkllUp's observation that the wings make it too easy or whatever is just not my experience at all- it just is another toy to play with and I easily switch between the various modes of transportation).
Yesterday I came across a collectible that was really high up in the sky, so I found a roof that had and air vent shooting up nearby, so I used the wings to fly at it. Took me a couple of tries but it was exhilarating- just a nice example of using the fun mechanics to add some nice moments to a play session.

Combat is the logical evolution of the "arkham" style counter based chain hit combo thing. You know how I been complaining about enemies flying off screen in modern action games and I hate it? Well despite the fact that there are mobs of enemies, projectiles, and all sorts of mayhem going on, I don't ever not know what's going on. So I'm not crazy, those other games are crazy.

So far I stop to deal with every randomly generated beat-em-up event (will probably stop after I level up everything). There are 3 allies (including the other spiderman, at least where I'm at in the story progression now) that you may encounter while doing this and the finishers are now two-person finishers and it is the comic book fantasy we had as children.

I have completely lost interesting in comic book movies and shows at this point and for me video games are just the logical best place for that sort of stuff (same with Star Wars, IMO).

Side stuff is cool- it is really the best kind of side stuff because there are quests but they're not this whole big deal, but they're nice. Collectibles and combat challenges and all that stuff. The Mysterio combat arenas are really great- I finished them all already.

It's just a big glitzy fun irritant-free no b.s. comic book video game with great performances and characters that doesn't jerk you around. Runner-up GOTY, for me, for sure.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But like Red Dead, it is being praised. Why? I guess because it's short, and everybody likes the character of Spiderman maybe.
Because unlike Ubisoft, it's not as insulting nor the game is broken completely game breaking buggy at launch. Usually. I know there's some recorded bugs for Spider-Man 2, but so far my brother hasn't encountered any of them yet. In addition, yes, people don't have as much a problem with it, because SM2 is not overly long nor does it boast that it has 400 plus hours of (side) content. Most of the side content has some type of meaning or it's just fun.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
[sarcasm]
*sigh* another Ubisoft formula "open world" game with icons all over the map, repetitive side content, and hand-holding quests that cater to the lowest common denominator by telling you what to do and focusing on graphics and spectacle. And so much talking and cinematic cut scenes, it's like you're watching a movie not playing a game*
[/sarcasm]

Because it hit me yesterday while greatly enjoying this game how it does everything that has been criticized in many Ubisoft and first party Sony games. Especially the hand-holding- my god the main quests are almost as bad as Red Dead 2 in how it is always just telling you what to do and where to go. But like Red Dead, it is being praised. Why? I guess because it's short, and everybody likes the character of Spiderman maybe.

Guessing it’s because like Red Dead the missions are very story-driven and highly tailored for that, but also like Red Dead when not in missions the freedom of the open world, um, opens up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just got through what I assume to be the entirety of Peter's symbiote phase, and I can't say it was too riviting. It really just goes through the motions without any real controversy; Peter gets the suit, initially appreciates the new power it gives him, then it goes to his head, his friends warn him that it might be dangerous and that he's changing for the worse, then he resents them for it, feeding his growing rage, it all comes to a head and he finally realizes he should be rid of it.

I guess considering the developers can't stray too far from the source material without losing the arc fans want to see I shouldn't be too surprised, but the way it's implemented within the game/story structure it just plays it far too safe. You'd think an unhinged Peter who's no longer interested in being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man would result in some actual moments within the gameplay that emphasize this, but beyond louder, cracking punches and Peter talking scarier during combat you're really just doing the same thing you were already doing.

Instead of doing the regular missions and crime-stopping, but with more 'grrrr', it would've been interesting if the nature of your missions and the crimes got warped to reflect Peter's shift in morality. Instead of simply stopping a speeding vehicle, you'd grab it and chuck it into the river, for example. I was totally expecting Peter to maybe pay J.Jonah Jameson a visit and take him on a scare web swinging trip. That totally could've been a good mission, showing Peter indulging in something he might've imagined but never would've actually done, until now.

It's not willing to really cross the line with Peter and hurt the audience, so the whole arc just comes across as very cooky-cutter.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just got through what I assume to be the entirety of Peter's symbiote phase, and I can't say it was too riveting. It really just goes through the motions without any real controversy; Peter gets the suit, initially appreciates the new power it gives him, then it goes to his head, his friends warn him that it might be dangerous and that he's changing for the worse, then he resents them for it, feeding his growing rage, it all comes to a head and he finally realizes he should be rid of it.

I guess considering the developers can't stray too far from the source material without losing the arc fans want to see I shouldn't be too surprised, but the way it's implemented within the game/story structure it just plays it far too safe. You'd think an unhinged Peter who's no longer interested in being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man would result in some actual moments within the gameplay that emphasize this, but beyond louder, cracking punches and Peter talking scarier during combat you're really just doing the same thing you were already doing.

Instead of doing the regular missions and crime-stopping, but with more 'grrrr', it would've been interesting if the nature of your missions and the crimes got warped to reflect Peter's shift in morality. Instead of simply stopping a speeding vehicle, you'd grab it and chuck it into the river, for example. I was totally expecting Peter to maybe pay J.Jonah Jameson a visit and take him on a scare web swinging trip. That totally could've been a good mission, showing Peter indulging in something he might've imagined but never would've actually done, until now.

It's not willing to really cross the line with Peter and hurt the audience, so the whole arc just comes across as very cookie-cutter.
Peter very much feels like the has-been hero in this game. It's like the story constantly shits on Peter, between family deaths, bills to pay, unable to keep a job, unable to reform his villains so they keep coming back over and over and over again.

Meanwhile Miles feels like the beacon of hope for the next generation. His only worry is a college entry letter, and getting over hatred of Mr. Negative, which he mostly does. All Spider-pals have their Uncle Ben moment. But Peter loses Aunt May, Ben, both parents, his best friend, every job he tries to have, a girlfriend if you make Gwen Stacy cannon, another girlfriend in Black Cat (never would have worked out, not good for each other), loses and then regains Mary Jane.

Miles on the other hand, doesn't have those struggles. Part of it could be the Peter Parker in these games is an older more experienced Spider-Man who's already gone through most of his known arcs. This is a double edge sword though because while it's nice not to have to sit through the origin story for the billionth time, you also miss out on a lot of experiences in Spider-Man's life which leaves him kind of busted up. It's part of why the Venom suit works so well on him because he does have a lot of repressed issued through his history of Spider-Man that undoubtedly weigh on him.

Honestly, I think I would have rather had Miles get the Symbiote suit this time. And let it corrupt him slower as things begin to pile up with other villains.

Speaking of other villains I think there aren't enough baddies in this game. It leans so heavily on Kraven who is just not very threatening as a villain as a whole, and doesn't spread that bad guy credit throughout the game enough. The first game had King Pen, Shocker, Vulture, Mr. Negative, Rhino, Electro, Doc Oct, which is a lot for one game. And that might be the explanation for why this game doesn't feel as big. Like for sure the map is much bigger, can't argue that, but the bigger map isn't used well to throw even more at you.

Spider-Man 2 sets up more villains than you actually deal with in the game, which feels disappointing to me. Maybe after Spider-Man 3 we'll call this one the middle child and it'll be the one we forget.

EDIT: Oh I fucking forgot Taskmaster, Black Cat, Tombstone, Hammerhead, and Silver Sable, all technically Spider-Man villains in the first game.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Because unlike Ubisoft, it's not as insulting nor the game is broken completely game breaking buggy at launch. Usually. I know there's some recorded bugs for Spider-Man 2, but so far my brother hasn't encountered any of them yet. In addition, yes, people don't have as much a problem with it, because SM2 is not overly long nor does it boast that it has 400 plus hours of (side) content. Most of the side content has some type of meaning or it's just fun.
I had 2 crashes so far, but it was no big deal 'cause the checkpoint system is extremely generous and the game loads fast. It is still jarring to get a crash on a console-exclusive.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I had 2 crashes so far, but it was no big deal 'cause the checkpoint system is extremely generous and the game loads fast. It is still jarring to get a crash on a console-exclusive.
While I didn't have a crash happen, but when I did my first playthrough of Miles Morales, I had two in-game visual glitches. He didn't break the game, but I did restart the checkpoint because it looked really weird and awkward. Nothing surprises me when it comes to even console exclusives crashing, because these games are still rushed out. As polished as Spider-Man 2 is, they obviously didn't get all the kinks ironed out yet, and there's no New Game Plus. Again another Western AAA (Sony) title does not have New Game Plus at the start. Why do people keep doing this trend on this side of the coast? Which is weird, because the last two Spider-Man games had New Game Plus unlocked as soon as you finish the game. I know New Game Plus comes out in a few months, but it shouldn't take that long. It should be out day one as soon as you finish the main campaign.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I just got through what I assume to be the entirety of Peter's symbiote phase, and I can't say it was too riviting. It really just goes through the motions without any real controversy; Peter gets the suit, initially appreciates the new power it gives him, then it goes to his head, his friends warn him that it might be dangerous and that he's changing for the worse, then he resents them for it, feeding his growing rage, it all comes to a head and he finally realizes he should be rid of it.

It's not willing to really cross the line with Peter and hurt the audience, so the whole arc just comes across as very cooky-cutter.
I just got to the point where Peter has the symbiote. I assumed the reason they went the way they did and not how you suggest is to keep the open world gameplay- yes, all having the black suit means is that some of the visual and audio presentation of the same action is a little different.

And I'm fine with that. Any interesting or quality narrative to me is a bonus- I bought me an open world Spiderman game and part of the fun of the first two was that no matter what happens in the main plot, I can do random side crap. This sort of thing necessarily weakens what can be done with a story- stakes become limited, world setting remains static at its core, and mechanics must be consistent. It really cuts of how far they can go with the story. But since I'm playing a video game not watching a movie, I would prefer that, personally.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just got to the point where Peter has the symbiote. I assumed the reason they went the way they did and not how you suggest is to keep the open world gameplay- yes, all having the black suit means is that some of the visual and audio presentation of the same action is a little different.

And I'm fine with that. Any interesting or quality narrative to me is a bonus- I bought me an open world Spiderman game and part of the fun of the first two was that no matter what happens in the main plot, I can do random side crap. This sort of thing necessarily weakens what can be done with a story- stakes become limited, world setting remains static at its core, and mechanics must be consistent. It really cuts of how far they can go with the story. But since I'm playing a video game not watching a movie, I would prefer that, personally.
Then they shouldn't have choosen to tell this particular story. Having Pete's villianous arc not be reflected in the gameplay at all makes it rather meaningless, and even more paint-by-the-numbers than it already is.

Anyway, I finished the game, and the story is honestly the weakest out of these current three Spider-Man games. As much as I didn't care for the story in Miles Morales, it was more the characterisation than the plot. Here I think the need for the symbiote/Venom really drags it down. Venom just isn't interesting, and the symbiote is just 'oh no, Peter bad now', but we know he's going to snap out of it without much or any repercussions. Really, the only thing that made Venom engaging originally was just the combined hatred of it and Eddie Brock for Peter, but in this game they've completely taken that away. Venom is honestly bled of the little personality that he originally had. He's now just a bad goop monster who wants to goop-monsterfy the world. Whoopty doo.

The relationship between Peter and Harry doesn't function as the emotional backbone of this narrative the way the game wants, the way it succeeded at in the first game between Peter and Otto. Peter and Miles work way beter - there's actually some very nice moments and decent pay-off between these two - but it needs to make room for Harry unfortunately.

The game's story kinda skates by by throwing some big 'oh shit' moments at you that are pretty cool, but ultimately I'm left feeling pretty limp on the whole thing. Let's hope they do a better job in the next game, because boy howdy do they ever foreshadow a sequel. We literally have a character say 'bring me the macguffin for the sequel'. There was also a name drop that I didn't catch, but the game put so much importance on it that I'm sure hardcore Spidey fans will recognize it instantly. I figured it was going to be someone within the realm I was expecting, this being Spider-Man 'n all, and looking up the name I actually guessed right.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I listened to an interview with one of the lead designers (SkillUp's channel) and they asked about what might be in mind for the next game. He said something like, and I'm paraphrasing of course- if the first game was Iron Man, and the second game is the First Avenger, than the third one is.... (implying Avengers, I guess?).

So, yeah, a third game is happening. And not just because, well, of cour$e it is, but they most certainly had that in mind when making this one.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The game's story kinda skates by by throwing some big 'oh shit' moments at you that are pretty cool, but ultimately I'm left feeling pretty limp on the whole thing. Let's hope they do a better job in the next game, because boy howdy do they ever foreshadow a sequel. We literally have a character say 'bring me the macguffin for the sequel'. There was also a name drop that I didn't catch, but the game put so much importance on it that I'm sure hardcore Spidey fans will recognize it instantly. I figured it was going to be someone within the realm I was expecting, this being Spider-Man 'n all, and looking up the name I actually guessed right.
If not a sequel then very limp DLC.

Because the game set up Goblin, and Carnage pretty obviously. And neither of those villains should be DLC as they are big enough characters to be core villains in a full fledged game.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Not being a hardcore spider-man fan, but has there been any iteration of him in the symbiote suit going the extra mile? The only time I've seen it was the bad ending for Web of shadows where he starts taking over the world w/ symbiote black cat.

You guys are right. Peter becoming more hostile is kinda cool to see (hats off to the VA for the performance), but I kinda wanted to see him go the extra miles i mean choking the life out of kraven was a neat touch, but IDK, I kinda wanted him to do go a bit further; How about trying to suffocate him by shooting web through the throat? or trying to tear his limbs out with the venom tentacles? Or form a sharp membrane and impale him?

Speaking of web of shadows, I feel like this is the first game since that one where spidy can go wild with symbiote. I mean most of the depictions seems to only show basic enhancement of regular powers, but here you can see the appendages and tentacles being utilized in combat.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Peter very much feels like the has-been hero in this game. It's like the story constantly shits on Peter, between family deaths, bills to pay, unable to keep a job, unable to reform his villains so they keep coming back over and over and over again.
So just like the comics then?