Country
US
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Similiar points made by SkillUp as well. It looks like it's your typical Ubisoft open-world experience, just set in Avatar universe
I mean that's what we all figured.. I just mentioned because it was theoretically possible it will be better, given the year we've been having. I do believe Alan Wake 2 is the last universally acclaimed single-player AAA game we're getting in 2023.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands

Similiar points made by SkillUp as well. It looks like it's your typical Ubisoft open-world experience, just set in Avatar universe
Which is weird because....who asked for that? I know the first Avatar made bank but it hardly stayed in the cultural zeitgeist afterwards

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Which is weird because....who asked for that? I know the first Avatar made bank but it hardly stayed in the cultural zeitgeist afterwards
I mean the first movie and arguably the second one did drop a ton of lore and world-building, so maybe it is a goldmine for a new sci-fi IP. And they know they don't need to go the extra mile or add new mechanics because this is gonna sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Why are people still talking about this douchebag? I'm glad he's getting his comeuppance, but there's nothing left to talk about the guy.
Because specifically for Karl, he is directly involved with the lawsuit against this mofo. While Karl can certainly keep the lawsuit to himself, I guess he figured might as well as capitalize on it? Kinda appreciate him for covering the case whenever he can, and I would love to see Billy lose and watch his little empire crumble to dust

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Red Dead 2 did it pretty well though. It’s also definitely not boring playing evil (the Wolf). Having to keep yourself from being recognized to avoid having bounties and lawmen chasing you wherever those bounties lie, people who could’ve been helpful if you were honorable with them are now avoiding you or even hostile. No discounts in shops, and scavenging becomes more viable than risking being seen in town to get supplies, but also can be exciting getting in and out without drawing attention.

Then the camp. You literally feel alienated going back to it and like you no longer belong there, unless you actually are an A-Hole.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Snaaaaaake!!!
At least Yahtzee admitted that he just wants to play an old game again that does stealth great. I know making an entirely stealth based game isn't easy, but as long as stealth sections aren't obnoxious I usually don't mind. I disagree with him big time on Tsushima. The AI ain't stupid. There are certain exploits, yes, but similar to the Arkham Asylum games, the Mongolians do get scared when they notice bodies are missing or left dead. The only difference is that a majority of them will run away or attack in a frightened panic, when you are finally spotted, or you insta killed for or more of them in a flash in front of their other buddies. Tsushima is just medieval Japan Batman game, if you want to break it down to the simplest terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
At least he admitted that he just wants to play an old game again that does stealth great. I know make an entirely stealth base game isn't easy, but as long as it's still sections aren't obnoxious I usually don't mind. I disagree with them big time on Tsushima. The AI ain't stupid. There are certain exploits, yes, but similar to the Arkham Asylum games, the Mongolians do get scared when they notice bodies are missing or left dead. The only difference is that a majority of them will run away or attack in a frightened panic, when you are finally spotted, or you insta killed for or more of them in a flash in front of their other buddies. Tsushima is just medieval Japan Batman game, if you want to break it down to the simplest terms.
Hitman, Styx, Hood (I forget the whole name) probably like seventy other things I can't think of lol.

I do wonder sometimes how much that sort of thing is just not bothering to look anymore. Like Thief (the originals) seemed like a big deal if you read PC Gamer and whatall, but was basically non-present in the mainstream. If you were enmeshed in that paricular hobbyist media bubble, Thief, Deus Ex, etc were all splendidly mentioned and outside of that.... good luck even finding them outside a game store specifically. You could get Command and Conquer or Unreal or Half life at a Costco or a bookstore. Presumably as he's grown old (and within the paremeters of his job) he's stopped bothering to look into the niche corners where the niche game genres hang out.

Which is somewhat a point he identifies. The AAA (or even the published and markted AA) genre is going to be concerned with selling copies to a greater or lesser extent. And a niche game with a heavy penalty for failure is going to run afoul of that, even in an age where people conssitently play less then 4 hours of games and never return to them again. He just never makes that leap to "maybe I should be poking into the stuff that isn't beholden to an aggressive markeitng budget"

Last edited: