They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Can't help but notice the newly uploaded videos have comments disabled. La-di-da.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I don't blame them.

I wouldn't want the casual viewership that missed the whole debacle pointed towards Second Wind either if i was in their position.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I see they found their youtube login. I should reach out and see if they want to post my hour long deep dive into why Gemfire for SNES is the best game ever made.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I still think the not-ZP redesign isn't very good compared (perhaps obviously) to the choices Yahtzee originally made for ZP. There's a reason why he went with blue and yellow instead of red and black; why the blank background instead of contaminating it with moving bits and bobs; why an imp instead of a dog buddy; why the simplistic stick figure + fedora avatar instead of the weirdo cowboy hat and rugged shirt combo.

Yellow stands out, and blue contrasts nicely with it. Red and black is too stark and corporative. The background is too busy and clutters the image. The imp was a versatile character that could be copied and used for whatever pantomime the video needed, whereas the dog avatar makes me think of a very specific character that is just there for a double act (except the double act is Yahtzee and the video; NOT Yahtzee, the video and the dog). And Yahtzee's redesign, I dunno, I just think it's ugly and not as endearing as the original one. Again, so busy it's distracting and too specific to fold seamlessly in and out of rants.

Exeunt pursued by a bear.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I still think the not-ZP redesign isn't very good compared (perhaps obviously) to the choices Yahtzee originally made for ZP. There's a reason why he went with blue and yellow instead of red and black; why the blank background instead of contaminating it with moving bits and bobs; why an imp instead of a dog buddy; why the simplistic stick figure + fedora avatar instead of the weirdo cowboy hat and rugged shirt combo.

Yellow stands out, and blue contrasts nicely with it. Red and black is too stark and corporative. The background is too busy and clutters the image. The imp was a versatile character that could be copied and used for whatever pantomime the video needed, whereas the dog avatar makes me think of a very specific character that is just there for a double act (except the double act is Yahtzee and the video; NOT Yahtzee, the video and the dog). And Yahtzee's redesign, I dunno, I just think it's ugly and not as endearing as the original one. Again, so busy it's distracting and too specific to fold seamlessly in and out of rants.

Exeunt pursued by a bear.
A knockoff is still a knockoff even if it's a knockoff of a thing you created. They should have went with an entirely new style rather than "legally distinct".

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The Escapist has released what will be the very last Zero Punctuation ever (along with the last videos of other defunct series).

It sounds like they’re planning on still doing a ZP compilation for the year too though, but that’s not technically new content either.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think another problem with Fully Ramblomatic is that Yahtzee's avatar is a person that would previously have been shorthand for 'pretentious wanker' or something like that. I can't look at those square glasses and hat and not think of the 15 years of precedent for what those symbols mean in ZP.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't know why anybody would willingly choose a career in which you have a public image seen by millions of people, it must be terrible. You're either a hero or a villain and it only depends on who's telling the story. I didn't watch the video because I don't particularly care about Nick, but if he hasn't committed any crimes what right does Frost have to smear his public image and try to ruin the livelihood of everybody that chooses to work for him? Why isn't stuff like this considered defamation? Even if it's all true, it's up to all the contributors whether they want to work for him and the public at large need not be concerned in the matter.

This one of the worst part of the internet, every thing a person does can be put up for public trial with all their worst moments being cherry picked and shown to the world months/years later.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I don't know why anybody would willingly choose a career in which you have a public image seen by millions of people, it must be terrible. You're either a hero or a villain and it only depends on who's telling the story. I didn't watch the video because I don't particularly care about Nick, but if he hasn't committed any crimes what right does Frost have to smear his public image and try to ruin the livelihood of everybody that chooses to work for him? Why isn't stuff like this considered defamation? Even if it's all true, it's up to all the contributors whether they want to work for him and the public at large need not be concerned in the matter.

This one of the worst part of the internet, every thing a person does can be put up for public trial with all their worst moments being cherry picked and shown to the world months/years later.
Most *rational* people will see whatever it is about and still not give a shit though. It’s the idiot fanatics that the affected have to be concerned about.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Hence, why I didn't comment on it and let everyone make their own decision about it. It does seem basically 100% that Nick did lie about the whole Escapist thing to the rest of the team.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Here's the sequel, Frost said he would do.
I watched that the other day, though "skimmed through it", might be more appropriate.

I like Frost, but he's getting into real

giphy (6).gif

Territory.

Yeah like OK, Nick is a greedy heel. Like even if his dots all align big whoop, whats new in the world?

There's a certain point where you have to distance yourself from your emotions and just do what's best for you. He even ends the video talking about how hes starting a crusade to out corrupted games journalists.

uuuugh like oh my god dude, no one cares. We all know theres nepotism and self-dealing. I feel like going down this route is a waste of his talents.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah like OK, Nick is a greedy heel. Like even if his dots all align big whoop, whats new in the world?
Not trying to support Frost here, but I can see where he's coming from and how that would get aggravating or turn the relationship sour.

He even ends the video talking about how hes starting a crusade to out corrupted games journalists.
He's clearly fighting his own war. How successful he'll be, I don't know. It's a cause that he believes in. And he's going to pursue it no matter how much you or anybody else, call him foolish for it. I can respect it on one hand but on the other hand he is coming off. Frost is petty, even if he has his points. He can fight for his own cause without dragging everybody else through the mud though. Even though he mostly kept it to Nick. I may not like Nick, but i'm sure as hell not subscribing to Frost. Second Wind I barely look at their stuff anymore. Aside from a few exceptions. I do tire bickering between journalist or former co-workers or whatever. SW are at least moving forward positively, but I am finding myself not interested in most of their stuff anymore. KC and Marty's DMC videos are not helping. I gave up after DmC 2013.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
He even ends the video talking about how hes starting a crusade to out corrupted games journalists.
Hey, there's a fresh idea! Finally somebody fighting for integrity in games journalism! I feel like this is so important we should make a new subforum just dedicated to talking about it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hey, there's a fresh idea! Finally somebody fighting for integrity in games journalism! I feel like this is so important we should make a new subforum just dedicated to talking about it.
We should also add "gate" to what we call it since everything needs "gate" added too it.