Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Except he's not suing these extremely large companies who can easily hire very expensive lawyers, he's aiming at a non-profit with about $12 million a year revenue.

This demonstrates to us what an interesting concept of "freedom of speech" he holds.
Media Matters is a propaganda tool of the Democratic Party, nothing more or less than that. Its revenue is irrelevant, it's purpose is neither to make nor spend money, and the largest political party in the country will support it if it were ever to run low on funds.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This demonstrates to us what an interesting concept of "freedom of speech" he holds.
Musk likes freedom of speech because he can use it to justify his behaviour, and as a cudgel to silence his critics. It's sort of similar to "think of the children" in that respect. "I'm doing it for the children and you couldn't possibly be against the children, right?" Likewise, Musk proclaims he's doing it for freedom of speech and no one could possibly be against that, could they? Even though it's really just about him.

I suspect he approaches pretty much everything that way. It's either useful to him, or it's 'bad'

Reactions: Dalisclock

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Musk likes freedom of speech because he can use it to justify his behaviour, and as a cudgel to silence his critics. It's sort of similar to "think of the children" in that respect. "I'm doing it for the children and you couldn't possibly be against the children, right?" Likewise, Musk proclaims he's doing it for freedom of speech and no one could possibly be against that, could they? Even though it's really just about him.

I suspect he approaches pretty much everything that way. It's either useful to him, or it's 'bad'
It's more that Musk has a understanding of freedom of speech which is either that of a modestly-educated teenager, or is an impersonation of a modestly-educated teenager to conceal even worse attitudes. All I would say in Musk's defence on this score is that 95% of the population also have an understanding of freedom of speech similar to a modestly-educated teenager.

Reactions: bluegate

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It's more that Musk has a understanding of freedom of speech which is either that of a modestly-educated teenager, or is an impersonation of a modestly-educated teenager to conceal even worse attitudes. All I would say in Musk's defence on this score is that 95% of the population also have an understanding of freedom of speech similar to a modestly-educated teenager.
Well yes. That too. But also just narcissism.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He's also holding the sword wrongly.
His arms are locked straight so that’s a problem. And the picture makes it hard to tell but for some reason I get the feeling the hilt of that sword is too short. Like the old bokken in my cupboard had a hilt long enough for me to have a hand length in the middle of I used a proper grip.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
His arms are locked straight so that’s a problem. And the picture makes it hard to tell but for some reason I get the feeling the hilt of that sword is too short. Like the old bokken in my cupboard had a hoot long enough for me to have a hand length in the middle of I used a proper grip.
His grip is wrong: it's not a sledgehammer to need that sort of grip (well, situationally, someone might occasionally do that). That grip makes the wrist rigid and slow - swords should be deft and fast. I'd agree that it seems to be a one-handed sword too: just the blade length suggests that, as two-handed swords tend to be ~100cm or more, and that's well short of that.

I'm guessing Japanese swords have relatively long hilts mostly to balance the sword, as they don't use pommels. Although I guess some extra hilt for the second hand probably gives options even for a sword intended to be used with one.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Speaking of the Media Matters lawsuit, found this fun breakdown of all the ways it is kinda bs

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What the fuck is going on with that vest Musk has on? Like I'm no expert but I was pretty sure a ballistic and shrapnel vest is supposed to cover your whole torso.
Eh, trade off with weight and mobility if you go big, lots of people argue about that. He doesn't need a small one as he's not running around with lots of gear, but I guess he doesn't need one at all and is wearing it to try to look tough.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
What the fuck is going on with that vest Musk has on? Like I'm no expert but I was pretty sure a ballistic and shrapnel vest is supposed to cover your whole torso.
I mean, the long guy in the tan sweater to the left of Musk seems to also leave lots of parts exposed.