Funny events in anti-woke world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sure. Let me dig out the relevant quote from the source again:

"Efforts to address systemic and implicit biases in law enforcement are unlikely to be effective in reducing the racial disparities in the criminal justice system as long as explicit racism in law enforcement continues to endure. There is ample evidence to demonstrate that it does."
You aren't tying either racial disparities or explicit racism to any political viewpoint with that quote. If you combine that section with the part that tells you "only a tiny percentage of law enforcement officials are likely to be active members of white supremacist groups", you can reach the conclusion that racism is being driven in more significant ways.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You aren't tying either racial disparities or explicit racism to any political viewpoint with that quote. If you combine that section with the part that tells you "only a tiny percentage of law enforcement officials are likely to be active members of white supremacist groups", you can reach the conclusion that racism is being driven in more significant ways.
So you didn't read the source either?

Jog on.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So you didn't read the source either?
I did. I'm not sure you did. It spoke of law enforcement agencies deficient in ways to identify or remove overtly racist police officers. The author wants law enforcement to do more to expel white supremacists from their ranks, as well as use law enforcement against those people more proactively, and is disappointed in the perceived lack of effort to do so, and suggests ways to achieve those goals.

You seem to have somehow taken that article to mean that the far right has significant presence in law enforcement, even when it explicitly states the opposite.

Here's an analogy: someone can believe more should be done to make rollercoasters safer without claiming that rollercoasters are a major source of injury or are even the primary cause of injury at an amusement park. Someone can say more should be done to combat white supremacy in law enforcement without saying that is a major source of problems or even the biggest cause of racism in law enforcement.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You seem to have somehow taken that article to mean that the far right has significant presence in law enforcement, even when it explicitly states the opposite.
You have a glass which contains 100g of water. Dissolved in that water is 1mg of tetrodotoxin. Are you going to argue that the solution is safe to drink, because only 0.001% of the mass is tetrotoxin?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You have a glass which contains 100g of water. Dissolved in that water is 1mg of tetrodotoxin. Are you going to argue that the solution is safe to drink, because only 0.001% of the mass is tetrotoxin?
Now you're just stealing bad analogies from other people. I'm genuinely disappointed.

You understand that poisoned water line is used by people who want to completely abolish the police, right?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Now you're just stealing bad analogies from other people. I'm genuinely disappointed.
I think it's more that you're trying to avoid the point.

You understand that poisoned water line is used by people who want to completely abolish the police, right?
If you took a few moments to think carefully, I think you might accept how utterly meaningless that comment is.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If you took a few moments to think carefully, I think you might accept how utterly meaningless that comment is.
Are you planning to carefully remove the tetrodotoxin before drinking the rest of the water, or does that analogy not apply to your beliefs about police at all?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I did, and they said they were.
No you didn't

The problem with the far right in organisations is in the link I recently supplied, which I then used a representative quote to explicitly express in #13,418. And I'm far from the first or only person to make that point.

As far as I can tell, your argument seems to be that because institutional racism was not specifically designed into organisations by the far right upon the founding of those organisations, therefore the far right do not cause institutional racism. Which makes about as much sense as arguing that the Nazis didn't cause any antisemitism because the Romans started it.
Your link said the people in white supremacist groups only make up a TINY portion of the police. How are such a tiny portion of people in the police (or any institution) causing institutional racism to continue by keeping said policies in place or adding more racist policies to the institution?

Your analogy is just dumb. How would the far-right have caused institutional racism when like everyone was racist back whenever these policies were put into place? The average person from then in today's world would be probably be considered far-right, but they weren't far-right at that time. You guys are as afraid of the far right as the right is afraid of the far left.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At like 12 murders a year... There's 12 murders a week in Chicago. So maybe on average 1 right-wing murder in Chicago the whole year, that's 0.16% of the murders. That is totally people's top priority right there!!!
I walked around the entirety of Chicago, talked to every inhabitant, and they said you're wrong about those numbers.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Your analogy is just dumb. How would the far-right have caused institutional racism when like everyone was racist back whenever these policies were put into place? The average person from then in today's world would be probably be considered far-right, but they weren't far-right at that time.
Well, the far right are the ones arguing that the institutional racism set up by the past racists doesn't exist and doesn't need to be changed, thus perpetuating the institutional racism, so there's that.

So how are we on systemic racism these days? We get that sorted out in 1964?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Are you planning to carefully remove the tetrodotoxin before drinking the rest of the water, or does that analogy not apply to your beliefs about police at all?
The analogy is to illustrate that small amounts of something can have significant effects.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The analogy is to illustrate that small amounts of something can have significant effects.
Or they can have almost no effect. "Can" is literally anything in analogy world. If you could read minds and remove every white supremacist or white supremacist sympathizer from the ranks of police, what percentage of racial disparity in policing would you expect to eliminate? 1%? 2%? It's not that big of a number.