Funny events in anti-woke world

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I disagree. I don't think anyone says that about Republicans because of that event. I think people who express those sentiments do so entirely because they don't like Republicans, and would do so with or without any events to properly justify the claims. You can use January 6th to rationalize criticism of the American right, but I don't think you can honestly say any of your criticisms would be meaningfully changed if that event had not occurred.
Like, no, of course not? There's plenty of other heinous bullshit you people do and stand for do that causes much concern for sane people.
Is this point supposed to undermine the other criticisms of them?

The incredibly marginal influence that person has relies on it being a joke. If his actually politics is the end of American Democracy, he becomes exceptionally more irrelevant than he already is.
The 'marginal' influence of a man selected to speak at a large gathering of a group who represent current republican thought trends?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Like, no, of course not? There's plenty of other heinous bullshit you people do and stand for do that causes much concern for sane people.
Is this point supposed to undermine the other criticisms of them?
I dunno, an attempted coup is a pretty big deal. Sure, it didn't come out of nothing, plenty of common or garden horrendous stuff the far right does, but that one is noteworthy.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
1708841080933.jpeg

Demented minds, that need chemical treatment and not the freedom to reach hundreds of thousands of people, conceived this.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The 'marginal' influence of a man selected to speak at a large gathering of a group who represent current republican thought trends?
Does a presenter at Comic Con have any meaningful influence over the way people think about comic books? CPAC is Comic Con for conservative nerds, nothing more.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Does a presenter at Comic Con have any meaningful influence over the way people think about comic books? CPAC is Comic Con for conservative nerds, nothing more.
More than 2,000 people weren't motivated to storm the Capitol building with the intention of overturning an election and murdering government officials they saw as the enemy because of a Comic Con presenter.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Would you make any meaningfully different criticisms of Republicans if nobody had marched into the capital on January 6th?
I suppose I can only really speak for myself, and maybe my perspective is rarer in America. But yes, I can genuinely say that prior to Jan 6th, I wouldn't have thought them likely to entertain antidemocratic sentiments to that extreme. They'd gerrymander, suppress voting rights etc-- as do the Dems on occasion-- but not try to overturn a general election result by force. My view of them sank to a definitive new low when they did just that.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

People who build gold idols shouldn't throw stones.
That's at a shitty convention somewhere, probably a commissioned thing

Weird how the left also makes statues of Trump though, like that naked Trump one that was made (I'll spare people an actual picture of it)

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

Dr. Doom, Deathstroke (the rare case of a villain who is both a hitman and a sexual predator), Angel (which did this with two Buffy villains), the Punisher, Shadow the Hedgehog, Zuko just to name a few.

Hell, Sony has been trying to make a cinematic universe with Spider-Man villains (most of whom are male and only a few of which have ever been heroes) since 2016.

This idea that male villains have never been given a shot at being the heroes of their own stories is an easily disproved lie that only the most gullible of misogynists would believe.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Dr. Doom, Deathstroke (the rare case of a villain who is both a hitman and a sexual predator), Angel (which did this with two Buffy villains), the Punisher, Shadow the Hedgehog, Zuko just to name a few.

Hell, Sony has been trying to make a cinematic universe with Spider-Man villains (most of whom are male and only a few of which have ever been heroes) since 2016.

This idea that male villains have never been given a shot at being the heroes of their own stories is an easily disproved lie that only the most gullible of misogynists would believe.
Two things I noticed here. One, their auto correct turned Wandavision into 'one division', and second, Wanda was still the goddamn villain and was only redeemed - for a certain value of the word - at the end of Multiverse of Madness where she dies. And either way, Wanda wasn't the hero of her own story there, she was a villain protagonist and just a flat out villain in Multiverse of Madness.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Two things I noticed here. One, their auto correct turned Wandavision into 'one division', and second, Wanda was still the goddamn villain and was only redeemed - for a certain value of the word - at the end of Multiverse of Madness where she dies. And either way, Wanda wasn't the hero of her own story there, she was a villain protagonist and just a flat out villain in Multiverse of Madness.
Don't you know? Protagonists are always heroes. Like Tyler Durden, Joker, and Light Yagami.