Funny events in anti-woke world

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
A heroic Hades would technically be more accurate to Greek mythology than what the movie gave us.
Maybe.

Hades strikes me as probably the most "neutral" god. Although greatly feared as lord of the underworld, he involves himself very little in the living world. In character, he mostly appears like a judge: stern, but also very fair and just. Although terrifying to those who break his rules, he does also on numerous occasions show compassion. I get the impression a lot of gods of the dead across cultures are actually portrayed this way - like judges. Yes, they're really scary because they rule the land of the dead and few want to die. But the land of the dead almost inevitably has both paradise and eternal punishment, and the god of the dead has the responsibility of sorting who goes where.

It's our chucklefuck modern world that simplistically equates death with evil, plus I suspect a hefty dose of Judeo-Christian belief that the underworld is the territory of Satan, so the underworld guy in other mythologies must also be evil amirite?

When I think of "evil" gods... well, in Greek / Roman none of them are really evil. But Ares / Mars often seems to be looked down on (and humiliated) as a crude, hot-headed, thuggish butcher. He is often unfavourably contrasted with Athena, who also represents aspects of war, but more defence and strategy. Needless to say, making the god of war the bad guy might not be so palatable for countries that want to honour their military.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Maybe.

Hades strikes me as probably the most "neutral" god. Although greatly feared as lord of the underworld, he involves himself very little in the living world. In character, he mostly appears like a judge: stern, but also very fair and just. Although terrifying to those who break his rules, he does also on numerous occasions show compassion. I get the impression a lot of gods of the dead across cultures are actually portrayed this way - like judges. Yes, they're really scary because they rule the land of the dead and few want to die. But the land of the dead almost inevitably has both paradise and eternal punishment, and the god of the dead has the responsibility of sorting who goes where.

It's our chucklefuck modern world that simplistically equates death with evil, plus I suspect a hefty dose of Judeo-Christian belief that the underworld is the territory of Satan, so the underworld guy in other mythologies must also be evil amirite?

When I think of "evil" gods... well, in Greek / Roman none of them are really evil. But Ares / Mars often seems to be looked down on (and humiliated) as a crude, hot-headed, thuggish butcher. He is often unfavourably contrasted with Athena, who also represents aspects of war, but more defence and strategy. Needless to say, making the god of war the bad guy might not be so palatable for countries that want to honour their military.
If any anthropomorphized personification of death had to exist, I'd prefer he/she/it spoke in unquoted SMALL CAPS

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Standing back to back with the title character. Characters standing back to back are implied to be working together, if they were meant to be seen as enemies (but with a twist ending), they'd be staring each other down.
It was a MEME Tstorm, you weren't supposed to FALL for it!
Don't blame me for having media literacy. They could have picked most of the villains in most of the shonen anime ever made. Like, pick your favorite Dragon Ball character not named Goku, there's a 50/50 chance you picked someone who acted as a villain for one complete story arc that culminated in their downfall, only to team up with Goku down the line. There are dozens (hundreds, thousands?) of valid examples of male villains later reframed as heroes in another story. Those two (Shadow and Zuko) just aren't it.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
If any anthropomorphized personification of death had to exist, I'd prefer he/she/it spoke in unquoted SMALL CAPS
They're not anthropomophised personifications of death. They are gods over the realm of death.

The classic "Father Time" with scythe and hourglass is a personification of death - he turns up and switches off the lights, and harvests your soul. Hades etc. don't do that: in that model death is a natural process that occurs whether they are there or not. What they do is oversee that your soul is sorted into the right part of the afterlife and - totally importantly - that once it's there it's not let back out again. (Or I suppose that it's let out again at the right time if the culture believes in reincarnation.)

In much the same way, Zeus is not a personification of the sky, he's a god that took the sky as his domain, as did Poseidon with the seas, etc.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Standing back to back with the title character. Characters standing back to back are implied to be working together,
There are way too many examples of characters standing back to back on covers without being allies for this to be the case. it would be like saying Jin, Kazuya and Heihachi were working together in Tekken 6 because of that game's cover. Or that Dante and Vergil were partners (outside of just the "Jackpot" scene) in Devil May Cry 3?

61EJCcousmS._AC_SY879_.jpg

if they were meant to be seen as enemies (but with a twist ending), they'd be staring each other down.
You mean like Knuckles and Tails are doing to Rouge and Eggman respectivel here? Oh wait, Rouge turns out to be a hero as well.

Don't blame me for having media literacy.

Oh, I won't blame you for having something you clearly lack.

They could have picked most of the villains in most of the shonen anime ever made. Like, pick your favorite Dragon Ball character not named Goku, there's a 50/50 chance you picked someone who acted as a villain for one complete story arc that culminated in their downfall, only to team up with Goku down the line. There are dozens (hundreds, thousands?) of valid examples of male villains later reframed as heroes in another story. Those two (Shadow and Zuko) just aren't it.
I honestly wonder what qualifies as a villain to you if a guy hunting down the hero for his expansionist empire and someone who wants to destroy the planet while framing the hero for his crimes don't count.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are way too many examples of characters standing back to back on covers without being allies for this to be the case. it would be like saying Jin, Kazuya and Heihachi were working together in Tekken 6 because of that game's cover. Or that Dante and Vergil were partners (outside of just the "Jackpot" scene) in Devil May Cry 3?
Ignore him. All he does goal post, deflect, or bring examples that have nothing to do with anything. He's a lost cause.

Reactions: Cicada 5

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I honestly wonder what qualifies as a villain to you if a guy hunting down the hero for his expansionist empire and someone who wants to destroy the planet while framing the hero for his crimes don't count.
Villain is a role in a story. It's not about the scale of misdeeds, it's about the relationship to the plot.

Vegeta is the primary villain in the saiyan saga, as he stands in opposition to the heroes, you're supposed to want him to lose, and the climax of that saga is his defeat. What happens after is a different story.

Shadow is a player character in Sonic Adventure 2, you're encouraged to sympathize with him, and the climax is the two hedgehogs working together to save the world. That all happens within a single story.

Zuko is great because you know he's doing the wrong thing, but he doesn't know that, and you're rooting for him to figure it out. Even hunting down Aang, the writers still get the audience to cheer for Zuko as a character, to want him to succeed from episode 1, though not in the way he wants to succeed. That's not a villain in the story. We're talking about villains who are then redeemed in sequels or prequels, who have redemption arcs distinct from their original appearance. Redemption is Zuko's whole character arc, he's a hero in that story.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
They're not anthropomophised personifications of death. They are gods over the realm of death.

The classic "Father Time" with scythe and hourglass is a personification of death - he turns up and switches off the lights, and harvests your soul. Hades etc. don't do that: in that model death is a natural process that occurs whether they are there or not. What they do is oversee that your soul is sorted into the right part of the afterlife and - totally importantly - that once it's there it's not let back out again. (Or I suppose that it's let out again at the right time if the culture believes in reincarnation.)

In much the same way, Zeus is not a personification of the sky, he's a god that took the sky as his domain, as did Poseidon with the seas, etc.
Ok, what am I reading here

Personification, ie a figure intended to be a representation of a concept, is absolutely rampant in ancient Greek religious practice. And anthropomorphism is a fundamental of the Greek pantheon. Of course Zeus is not literally the sky, he's an abstraction that embodies the sky and thing related to that concept. Why is there lightning? Because Zeus is pissed and throwing bolts in a fit. Crops aren't doing well, better sacrifice to Demeter for a better one. Ship went down with all hands, guess they shouldn't have insulted Poseidon. That the mythology tells of how the Olympians came to their respective domains does not make them not personifications of those concepts.

But you're right that Hades is not the anthropomorphic personification of death. Because Thanatos is.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Ag3ma

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
'Yeah, fuck you, I'm stupid - I don't care. And nobody who follows me cares.' And unfortunately she's absolutely right.

Not that I'm saying interviews like this should stop, but the idea of exposing these people for who they are and how insane they are has pretty much become meaningless. They adore being beyond the pale and people love them for it.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Ok, what am I reading here

Personification, ie a figure intended to be a representation of a concept, is absolutely rampant in ancient Greek religious practice. And anthropomorphism is a fundamental of the Greek pantheon. Of course Zeus is not literally the sky, he's an abstraction that embodies the sky and thing related to that concept. Why is there lightning? Because Zeus is pissed and throwing bolts in a fit. Crops aren't doing well, better sacrifice to Demeter for a better one. Ship went down with all hands, guess they shouldn't have insulted Poseidon. That the mythology tells of how the Olympians came to their respective domains does not make them not personifications of those concepts.

But you're right that Hades is not the anthropomorphic personification of death. Because Thanatos is.
Yes, I think that's how it goes.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
And this was her follow up rationalisation...
1709026783115.jpeg

Also, the t-shirt she was wearing was a picture of the person interviewing her crying after revealing the death threats she received for daring to question some other culture war conservative piece of shit.

Just a person of pure evil without the capacity for self-awareness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual Shinji