General Gaming News.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The same publication posted a follow-up article by another member of the same website:

Det var orimligt länge sen sist (2) (msn.com)

The list was as follows:
  • Rallisport Challenge
  • Syphon Filter
  • Killzone
  • Ridge Racer
  • Virtua Fighter
  • No One Lives Forever
  • Tenchu
  • Half-Life
  • Burnout
I find myself thinking "Were those that significant?" or "What was that?" on several of these titles. Might be because I don't play racing games. No One Lives Forever is also a series with just two entries which makes it hard for me to consider it a "series"; I mentally categorize that as "a game and a sequel".
It must've been popular articles since they published a third one (either that or gushing about games one can have nostalgia for is an easy article to write in the lull months).

Det var orimligt länge sedan sist (3) (msn.com)

The list was:
  • Advance Wars
  • Army of Two
  • Blue Dragon
  • Call of Juarez
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins
  • F-Zero
  • Lost Planet
  • Phantasy Star
  • Sly Cooper
  • SSX
With the caveats that F-Zero 99 and Phantasy Star Online exist. Since the wow factor of "Whoa! Has it been that long ago?" is lost for me at this point I won't be posting any more; it feels more like gushing.

Speaking of games one might have nostalgia for: gamesindustry.biz published an article about a White Paper that said that the ideal time to release a remake is between 11-20 years after the original release. Earlier and nostalgia has not set in; later and it is considered a retro game.

Best time to remake a video game? Between 10 and 20 years later | GamesIndustry.biz

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now I feel obligated to buy Sandland, or the new DBZ game. And I have never bought any DBZ games.

RIP. You certainly left a huge impact on my childhood
You don't have to buy either if you don't want to. As much as I liked some of the guys work at the time, I didn't by manyDBZ games. FighterZ and it's season passes were my most recent purchases. That and the DBZ movie that came out back in 2022. The game I don't have anymore and I traded in a few months ago for Tekken 8. I'm sure as hell not buying the new game coming out or whenever. I never planned on it before his death, and nothing has changed. I have no interest in shonen-based fighting games. I mentioned this before, but I want to see different types of anime games and not just your fighters and arena fighters, nor Dynasty Warrior clones.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I kinda wanna replay DBZ Kararot now.
A reminder:

Dragonball Z Kakarot is not a good video game.

That's really it.

Also I can't stop playing it.

So DBZ:K is yet another attempt to make a DBZ RPG complete with characters leveling up, skill trees, random battles, and all that fun stuff you expect from an RPG. To the game's credit the RPG systems here are actually rather deep and that's kind surprising. While each character has a talent tree that unlocks and powers up their super moves, the real depth comes from the Companion Board system. The way this works is that each famous Dragonball NPC you meet gives you an emblem that can be slotted into any one of seven Companion Boards to grant you passive effects. Each board is tailored to a different aspect of the game, combat, exploration, cooking, collecting, etc etc. As you slot these emblems into the board they provide the board a certain number of levels and upon hitting certain level marks you gain a new passive effect.

You gain give items that you can feed into these emblems to power them up on specific boards to increase the effectiveness that they grant to that board. On top of that certain emblems team up when set on a board next to each other that grant them more levels toward the board they are set against. For example putting Tien and Chau-zu together grants them a bonus based on their obvious relationship in the series.

The gameplay itself is broken up into two gameplay aspects, exploration and combat. You are dropped into a fairly small zone that is filled with your typical open-world elements. From floating power orbs you collect that act as your currency to fill your talent trees, to campefires for cooking, to animals to gather meat from, to side quests, and of course random enemy encounters. Flying around these zones is fun, if unrewarding, it strikes an Anthem-like feeling in flight minus the overheat mechanic as in DBZ you can fly forever. You have a limited meter of super speed which is a fun little thing to do as you can fly through mountains and trees and you tear the ground apart if you fly to low, it feels very Dragonball and that's really great. Shame the control is so floaty and unresponsive you will constantly overshoot any item you try to grab, orbs you wanna fly through, or npc's you wanna talk to. Up and down are controlled by the right shoulder buttons and they are incredibly slow to respond.

However the other open world elements feel fucking pointless. The side quests are insanely stupid things like "gather 6 deer", eating at campfires is supposed to grant bonuses like Breath of the Wild but these bonuses are lame and the best thing you get from eating is full health back.

The biggest mark against this game for me is how worthless the random enemy encounters are. I love to grind in RPG's, I dunno why but I love it, I like to overlevel or close to it before taking on the main story challenges. The problem with the random encounters in DBZ:K is that they are fucking worthless. You gain like 50 exp per fight, which would be fine at low levels but I'm level 15 now and they still give 68 exp when I need over 10K to level. That's dogshit. Especially when you consider that the last story fight gave my 55,000 exp. The game clearly is balanced to level you as you do main quests and main quests only, using side missions and maybe one or two random encounters to just inch yourself over to the next level when the story missions get you 98% of the way there.

So you can just mostly ignore the open world stuff.

That brings us to the combat. It's bad. I mean....it's not good. It's not terrible, but it's like 1 level below fine imo. You see the big problem is that the game has a sharp contrast between random encounters and side quest fights when compared to main story fights. Minor encounters are simple and they teach you very basic combat flow, but none of these encounters really do anything interesting and mostly just stand there. Yet story fights do all kinds of crazy shit, they have super attacks that become quick time puzzles, they will just hit you out of nowhere when you got them in combo stun, they'll blast you with a big energy beam out of nowhere, and every fight is more of a puzzle than it is using the combat system itself.

Each boss fight you have to learn the pattern, learn when to attack, how to dodge all of their moves, and learn when it's safe to go in on them. Sound fine right? Sure if the controls worked it would be great. Except the controls suck, they do not respond as quickly as you need them too in a chaotic fight like DBZ fights. I believe the biggest problem is that the game wont let you do a new action until your entire animation for the previous action finishes, which in Dark Souls is fine, but with how fast things happen here it just feels unresponsive and sluggish. You need to zip around energy beams, but if you were blocking you have to wait for your character to drop the block and lower their arms before you can start moving away. This delay will always get you blasted which gives the game a feeling like you have to always be thinking ahead of the boss in order to survive, you have to predict instead of react and that's never gonna go well the first time you see a fight. Additionally your super moves look really cool, but they lock you in place for several seconds and if you are fighting multiple people at once, you are gonna get rocked if you try to use them.

Imagine a Dragonball Z game that discourages you from using a Kamehameha beam.

Then there is another issue I have for the game. It tells the tale of Dragonball Z, in almost it's entirety. From episode 1 to episode 297, this game will have you journey through the entire series, seeing the same cut scenes we've seen in every other Dragonball z game to come before it. Some of the side missions are cute and flesh out things that happen in the show on the sidelines, but all of them are shitty mundane fetch quests are just another "fight me" quest.

It's kinda hard to get invested in a game where the story has been done 1000 times before. I skip a lot of cut scenes because they are straight ripped form the show, and I know that is a stupid complaint about a DRagonball Z but the gameplay parts of the game aren't very good, so I dunno what I'm supposed to be latched onto in order to keep playing the game.

However despite all of this, I keep playing it. The spectacle of the fights once you get used to the lag and predicty nature of the controls, is fun to watch. And there are bits of charm sprinkled throughout that are enough to keep a fan of the show into it.

But if you aren't a big DBZ fan, just stay away. You'll fucking hate it. This is a game for fans, and barely even is passable for them.
You're better off playing FighterZ, Budokaichi 4, Tekken 8 story again, or Asura's Wrath.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A reminder:

You're better off playing FighterZ, Budokaichi 4, Tekken 8 story again, or Asura's Wrath.

There is a new
Tenkai game coming this year or something I think right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is a new
Tenkai game coming this year or something I think right?
That's the one I referred to earlier with the 4 at the end.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
And consoles, right?

Dumb question but can you download a game after it's been delisted? Assuming you bought it before it was delisted, obviously.
I don't own any delisted games so I can't verify personally, but I often read posts saying that you should be able to still download previously bought delisted games.

But that's all I know about it, some confirmation would be nice.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Holy Crap. I think the last time this happened was with CP2077

Yeah, but with CP2077, that game was broken on consoles, I get doing a refund for that. Suicide Squad runs, right?

Not that this isn't a cool move, but providing a refund for a game that's just not very well liked... Some TLoU2 fans might be scratching themselves behind the ear right now.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, but with CP2077, that game was broken on consoles, I get doing a refund for that. Suicide Squad runs, right?

Not that this isn't a cool move, but providing a refund for a game that's just not very well liked... Some TLoU2 fans might be scratching themselves behind the ear right now.
From what I heard, the latest patch more or less broke the game. If there were refunds genuine issued, I'd say it was to due to that rather than the negative reception.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I heard, the latest patch more or less broke the game. If there were refunds genuine issued, I'd say it was to due to that rather than the negative reception.
People are going to take advantage of that refund either way. Plus I have a feeling that this game lasts about 3 or 5 months and then be completely dead, and WB remove the game from digital stores and servers.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

“We're not exactly sure how this will affect the games division. The entire video games industry is being hit with mass layoffs and intense cost-cutting measures, so we may see more staff reductions and/or game cancellations.”

Gotta feel for Rocksteady, as being historically single player only they probably didn’t want to be roped into doing this kind game. Expect rocky times ahead, no pun.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
“We're not exactly sure how this will affect the games division.
Bullshit WB! Bullshit! You know how exactly this is going to happen and affect your games and division. You've been doing this same rodeo for a decade now. You could keep these people anytime, but you're going to fire them or lay them off, regardless if they succeed or fail. Because it'll never affect your guys at the top nor your pathetic parasitic investors. You're all going to double down on your mobile division and possibly move on the gaming sphere because you can't cheat anybody anymore, and desperately hoping just to hit anybody on mobile. Fuck you all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't own any delisted games so I can't verify personally, but I often read posts saying that you should be able to still download previously bought delisted games.

But that's all I know about it, some confirmation would be nice.
A couple of others personally confirmed in the Discord that you can still play delisted games you've already bought.

It's not ENTIRELY without the realm of possibility that a delisted game also becomes impossible to download, like PT, but that seems to be the only example so far because 1) it was a freebie so nobody really owned the license in the first place and 2) Konami.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Yeah...

I always liked how forthright he was about him just making random stuff up with his story rather than try to spin some BS about how it was all planned.
That and despite it being made up as he went along was never really jarring. The real Androids and Cell still feel like they belong in the Android arc rather than being shoved in last minute. This in contrast to Naruto where in the last possible second the writer decided he wanted to have an alien invasion.

Reactions: meiam