Funny events in anti-woke world

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
This is literally the context under which mRNA vaccines were initially approved,
And that is not what a vaccine was understood to be.

Sure, they can take a sample of someone's cancer and devise a specific, targetted response. So, in other words, that patient already had cancer. In order to call these vaccines, they had to subtly redefine what a vaccine was. I would put it that they have taken the traditional biological mechanism associated with vaccines, and put it to a different use.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You say this, but how much of this content continues to thrive because people enjoy it the way you do? When demand for crazy people outpaces supply, people on the internet bathe in their fake internet points.
People aren't posting this garbage to get "the woke people" upset. They're posting it because they mean it. And you're trying to get us to ignore it because you want them to get what they're after- a world of people who look, talk, and think the exact same way you do.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You say this, but how much of this content continues to thrive because people enjoy it the way you do? When demand for crazy people outpaces supply, people on the internet bathe in their fake internet points.
At core, it thrives because people believe in it, not because people oppose it.

What opposition can do is hugely magnify potential attention. We all know examples where trivial grifters have got their 15 minutes of fame only because their opponents decided to run with it - some may even have been savvy enough to make that 15 minutes into a wider career. But fundamentally, anyone spitting out hate or junk will carry on doing so because they're getting likes from similarly-minded people.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Sure, they can take a sample of someone's cancer and devise a specific, targetted response. So, in other words, that patient already had cancer. In order to call these vaccines, they had to subtly redefine what a vaccine was. I would put it that they have taken the traditional biological mechanism associated with vaccines, and put it to a different use.
By that argument the most common scenario in which a rabies vaccine is administered to humans (after potential exposure but before the disease has reached the brain) is not a vaccine at all but "just a treatment" (of an otherwise untreatable disease, no less). And yes, I agree with you that that person already had cancer but the use of mRNA vaccines in cancer patients isn't just that it helps treat cancer, but it helps prevent the cancer from coming back over time by teaching the immune system to identify and destroy any recurrence.

If you could hypothetically determine what someone's cancer was going to look like before they got cancer, you could use the exact same method to produce the exact same drug and it would prevent them from getting that cancer in the first place.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
By that argument the most common scenario in which a rabies vaccine is administered to humans (after potential exposure but before the disease has reached the brain)
Sure, but there you're talking about a latent period before someone actually has rabies.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You are so bad at trying to come up with insults, try workshoppping them for a few days instead of giving in to this trite kneejerk emotional defense mechanism of yours each time - the results will be noticeable within the next 5 or so attempts I garuntee! 👌
It's not an insult.
But fundamentally, anyone spitting out hate or junk will carry on doing so because they're getting likes from similarly-minded people.
The people getting upset are the objects of the hate. There are plenty of echo-chambers to play in, things like this are on Twitter for a reason.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Im pretty sure you might be talking about someone else
I was, you replied to that and brought up the film analogy. So I was talking games originally.

Ah. So, by this definition, no movie ever has been woke. Or game. Or fiction book.
Oh no plenty of been woke. See the series they've been making where historical English Queens are black in the or trying to portray the past as some society far more racially diverse and accepting than todays society.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Disney is not woke. It's made up by people who make up what woke means on the spot

Gunn definitely was giving the middle finger to Disney because they wanted Gunn's movie to be more appealing to a wider audience instead of being progressive.

I don't know if progressive counts as woke for you. Because the term woke means so many things to so many people, you can't just use it out of context. But, in generally, Gunn would be far more woke than Disney
Disney is woke by the James Gunn example alone. Woke for me is basically just trying to look good (with social issues) without actually caring and doing it for the brownie points.

Actually no, it doesn't in any meaningful way. It just says "whether that support be material, information or other resource". That leaves what actually constitutes those kinds of support completely undefined. Does mere advice count? In what circumstances?

And that sentence even leaves the door open for anything else to be considered "support", too-- it doesn't say support must take those forms, it says "whether" they do.
Does it though? Also, you can find this type of vagueness in most bills. You're just pointing it out in this bill because you don't like the bill.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You are so bad at trying to come up with insults, try workshoppping them for a few days instead of giving in to this trite kneejerk emotional defense mechanism of yours each time - the results will be noticeable within the next 5 or so attempts I garuntee! 👌
Dude isn't insulting you fam.
Dude is telling you how shit has been going down.
Or do we all need a Jussie Smollett reminder again?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Dude isn't insulting you fam.
Dude is telling you how shit has been going down.
Or do we all need a Jussie Smollett reminder again?
Oh dwarvenhobble, not again you poor soul. I'm sorry you've spent too long in the sauce, incapable of interpretating anything outside of petty culture war memes and gossamer thin gotchas. This path won't provide you contentment or happiness, it has no solutions for you, only self-induced suffering, whipping you into states more madder and madder and confused with no end point, cause that's what it's designed to do. Lashing out online wherever you can is all you got, defending obvious predators and scammers, wasting so much energy on chasing your own tail. I hope for your family's sake you can eventually find a way out of this spiral.

Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Does it though? Also, you can find this type of vagueness in most bills. You're just pointing it out in this bill because you don't like the bill.
So all you've got now is "other bills do it too"?

Vagueness is often intentionally used in bills to cast a wide net, and allow broad and discretionary use of the powers. Well-made, reasonable bills will whittle down the ambiguity to prevent abuse. This one didn't, leaving the door wide open to consider pretty much anything "support" if it suited the litigant. I suspect that was the intent.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The people getting upset are the objects of the hate. There are plenty of echo-chambers to play in, things like this are on Twitter for a reason.
Firstly, overall, a lot of the aim of this sort of posting is to make one's own side upset. The alternative to making the other "upset" is to promote alarm, fear, anger in one's own, or incite derision and contempt from them towards the other. Although individual items might sway one way or the other, overall they are different sides of the same coin, and I doubt you would find many who employ one and not the other. The generation of emotion to attract attention and carry a message thus works to both rally friends and fray the enemy.

Secondly, echo chambers are inherently restricted, with limited audience. If you want to be noticed, or to get a message out, you are infinitely better on X (fka Twitter) than any echo chamber. There are other reasons, obviously - someone may be on Twitter for other reasons, and cut loose on there just because it's the space that they happen to hang out.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Oh dwarvenhobble, not again you poor soul. I'm sorry you've spent too long in the sauce, incapable of interpretating anything outside of petty culture war memes and gossamer thin gotchas.
farscape-farscape-friday (3).gif

This path won't provide you contentment or happiness, it has no solutions for you, only self-induced suffering, whipping you into states more madder and madder and confused with no end point, cause that's what it's designed to do. Lashing out online wherever you can is all you got, defending obvious predators and scammers, wasting so much energy on chasing your own tail. I hope for your family's sake you can eventually find a way out of this spiral.
Oh we're going with the spiritual stuff.
I have the solution I need:
2 parts gin to 8 parts tonic.

As for contentment.
FiPJjuDXwAIHLHJ.jpg

As for all I got, no not all I got. I did have people try to take a lot from me, turns out they have very little power over me ultimately.

As for Predators and scammers?

How is the Chuck Tingle game?

So in conclusion,
Weird last out at me when I was trying to be fairly nice and jovial about it all and lets not start opening cans of worms here that people may regret.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So all you've got now is "other bills do it too"?

Vagueness is often intentionally used in bills to cast a wide net, and allow broad and discretionary use of the powers. Well-made, reasonable bills will whittle down the ambiguity to prevent abuse. This one didn't, leaving the door wide open to consider pretty much anything "support" if it suited the litigant. I suspect that was the intent.
I also asked "but does it though?" Because I don't think it would. Have not read many bills? They are all vague in some way unless the nature of it is already super specific like saying driving over the speed limit. I mentioned how making a bill to make it illegal to lure kids into cars/buildings will be vague but you guys are fine with outlawing luring kids so you don't get on your soapbox over that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So in conclusion,
Weird last out at me when I was trying to be fairly nice and jovial about it all
If that's your idea of being "nice and jovial, then you failed harder than usual.

lets not start opening cans of worms here that people may regret.
Way too late for that. You've done that far more times and you bother even count.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I also asked "but does it though?" Because I don't think it would. Have not read many bills? They are all vague in some way unless the nature of it is already super specific like saying driving over the speed limit. I mentioned how making a bill to make it illegal to lure kids into cars/buildings will be vague but you guys are fine with outlawing luring kids so you don't get on your soapbox over that.
Quickly looked up the Missouri statute on child abduction for a direct comparison.

It's much, much more specific and detailed on what constitutes an offence.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Quickly looked up the Missouri statute on child abduction for a direct comparison.

It's much, much more specific and detailed on what constitutes an offence.
Stealing something is pretty cut and dry, even more so when the thing in question has governmental papers saying who owns it. Yes, I know kids aren't owned but it's the same thing as stealing like a car in essence as far as the law is concerned.

For example, this bill can be interpreted as merely say "hi" from a car/building to a kid is a felony. But no court/judge is going to charge you with a felony for saying "hi". Where's the outrage on this one from the peanut gallery here?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Oh no plenty of been woke. See the series they've been making where historical English Queens are black in the or trying to portray the past as some society far more racially diverse and accepting than todays society.
What like when you force a person to be in a position that doesn't suit them solely based on skin tone, you get Scarlet Johansson in Ghost of the Shell?

That's normal standard procedure. Funny how it's only really brought up now