Gaming Showcase 2024

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I prefer regular DMC style of lock on. That said, i'm still interested in this.
You prefer Z-targeting. I agree. I used DMC3 as an example in my Batman critique. DMC3 is the best of the series, targeting-wise, because you can switch targets while moving. In DMC4 and 5, L3 can no longer be pressed at an angle.

After watching so many Batman fights, I can't imagine controlling him without a lock-on system. Locking on prevents the character from turning around and exposing their back to the enemy as soon as the player tries to pull away from their attacks or gain space [1]. It allows two fighters to dance [2][3]. I would assign the lock-on to L1, as a hold function. The player would switch to the next closest target ahead (and back) both by pressing down the left stick, meaning the L3 button [4], and by letting go of L1 and quickly locking on again [5]. This system, called "Z-targeting," was common [6] before Demon's Souls and Dark Souls popularized [7] the R3 lock-on [8]. I prefer the older system because it's not a toggle, thanks to the button not actuating at the base of a tilting stick. Because it's so easy to keep the button depressed and the function is actively felt rather than only seen, the player is more aware that it is active and the ability to run backwards and sideways is just built in even when there is no target. This can make lining yourself up for things in the environment outside of combat a little bit easier. If you wanted to be really creative, you could even let the player move sideways between narrow walls without triggering the usual canned animation [9][10]. Ocarina of Time and later Zelda games HAD toggle options, and I always hated them [11]. I would NOT lock the camera behind Batman while the targeting system is active. [12] It cuts off too much visibility. You can't see what you back into. Using the jump button with the lock-on button would allow my player to perform a kind of dodge. However, to make them use as many of the fight mechanics as possible, have them heed the positions of their enemies and hopefully keep them moving, jumping to the side or backwards would not be effective against every attack or type of enemy.

[1] animated series scenes > animated_lock-on_1.mkv
[2] animated series scenes > dancing_(Legends_of_the_Dark_Knight).mkv
[3] Fury_(Justice_League).mkv
[4] Targeting_DMC3_A.mkv
[5] Targeting,_Zelda_A.mkv
[6] Targeting,_MGS3_B.mkv
[7] Demon's_Souls_targeting.mp4
[8] Elden_Ring_R3_targeting.mkv
[9] Targeting,_Zelda_B.mp4
[10] Rise_of_Tomb_Raider_canned_animation.mp4
[11] *Record the toggle option in menu of Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time*
[12] Elden_Ring_R3_targeting_lack_of_visibility.mkv

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You prefer Z-targeting. I agree. I used DMC3 as an example in my Batman critique. DMC3 is the best of the series, targeting-wise, because you can switch targets while moving. In DMC4 and 5, L3 can no longer be pressed at an angle.
I barely noticed a change for it to be a problem to me. DMC3 Does had better targeting than DMC4, but all 3 of them (DmC DE included) have a habit of the lock on going to somebody I didn't ask for. 3 for some reason gave me the most trouble with this.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok I think the showcases are done so let's list what we wishlisted. Me:

Neva
Lady with a dig, in a lovely hit-the-feels music and art vibe, action story 2D thing.

Mixtape
I'm VERY picky with my not-really-a-game story "games" but this one looks like a cool one, mostly for the rad soundtrack of licensed 80s rock and alterna-pop.

Pipistrello and the Cursed Yo-Yo
A cute creature and a yo-yo, come on. Played and enjoyed the demo.

Edit to add a big one I forgot:

Wanderstop
One of the stand-out trailers because it's from the makers of Stanely Parable and it starts off like some cozy game about a woman running a tea shop who then sits on a bench and has violent visions. We don't know what the gameplay is yet but the vibe, mystery and pedigree of the makers got a lot of folks' attention including mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@Old_Hunter_77, @Ezekiel, @hanselthecaretaker2, @Dalisclock, and @CriticalGaming Phantom Blade 0 is NOT A SOULS LIKE! I REPEAT: NOT A SOULS LIKE! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Max has more details, but the game fashions itself after Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear Rising! I'm in and I live for this shit!

Well I never liked Ninja Gaiden much. And the games inspired by it- Wo Long etc- are ones I ***** about.

I'll say that I have more faith in Phantom Blade than Black Myth because at least the former looks like a real game with gameplay and I'm still not convinced Black Myth has shown us anything so if I had to bet on which will be better it's Phantom but I've still been burnt too much with all the post-Sekiro katana parry genre to buy any of these on release.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well I never liked Ninja Gaiden much
Me neither. More so indifference, but I like the Sigma or upgraded versions of these games over their vanilla versions. I am more of DMC and Rising fan.

And the games inspired by it- Wo Long etc- are ones I ***** about.
The only thing Phantom takes from Souls is level design and that's it.

Well I never liked Ninja Gaiden much. And the games inspired by it- Wo Long etc- are ones I ***** about.

I'll say that I have more faith in Phantom Blade than Black Myth because at least the former looks like a real game with gameplay and I'm still not convinced Black Myth has shown us anything so if I had to bet on which will be better it's Phantom but I've still been burnt too much with all the post-Sekiro katana parry genre to buy any of these on release.
Black Myth I had some curiosity, but I couldn't hold out for it. Lost Soul Aside keeps changing dates since 2014, that l don't care about it anymore. All that funding from Sony and this one and his team are still not done.

As for your burnout, understandable, but I never liked Sekiro to begin with. So I avoided all the clones with good reason. There's no burnout when you never cared nor were invested in the first place. That describes me right now.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Here's another more in-depth and critical (but not wholly negative) description of Phantom 0's combat:

He kind of gets into some of the stuff I've talked about with the other games in the genre re: timing and all that. Pretty interesting- in a sense he sounds like a nicer, smarter version of stuff I keep whining about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's another more in-depth and critical (but not wholly negative) description of Phantom 0's combat:

He kind of gets into some of the stuff I've talked about with the other games in the genre re: timing and all that. Pretty interesting- in a sense he sounds like a nicer, smarter version of stuff I keep whining about.
Don't sell yourself so short. There are plenty of times where you are more articulate or better detailed than Skill Up.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The actually look really cool, sigh how are they gonna fuck it up?
By not fucking it up.

It's one of the games that's going to be really charming to people, or it's one of those games where the person says "this game is not for me!". I'm game. Capcom is taking a risk and doing something original with their RE Engine right there. This creativity of the old days we want! There is a learning curve. It's action game combined with Tower Defense. Princess Defense in this case.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

_@_user-hodmakvimry3
7 hours ago (edited)
Do you think Bloodborne is Sony’s “Red Button”?

It sure as hell wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Don't sell yourself so short. There.
Are plenty of times where you are more articulate or better detailed than skill up
Thanks.
Though just for clarity in the clip it's not SkillUp describing the game, it's another dude.

Simmons' enthusiastic impression is interesting, I respect the guy on this stuff.

Man I hope they put out a demo of this one. These kinds of games have gotten so complicated that one's impression is as much based on the player as on the game- kind of like how different people hear the same music or something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Simmons' enthusiastic impression is interesting, I respect the guy on this stuff.
Same here.

Man I hope they put out a demo of this one. These kinds of games have gotten so complicated that one's impression is as much based on the player as on the game- kind of like how different people hear the same music or something.
I getting the demo first chance if it ever releases.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

_@_user-hodmakvimry3
7 hours ago (edited)
Do you think Bloodborne is Sony’s “Red Button”?

It sure as hell wouldn't surprise me.
Would have happened already if Sony hadn't killed off Japan Studio years ago. They barely have anyone left who understands the Japanese code of all those games and can communicate with the devs, and FromSoftware is always busy making new games repeating themselves with new IPs and sequels.

Gravity Rush 2 will be the first PC port of a Japan Studio game, I believe. Think it's inferior to the original in all the ways that matter. Again the sales will be hurt by releasing the sequel without the first to a new audience, like with Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy.